S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vacation suggestions from east coast Vintagers

Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Vacation suggestions from east coast Vintagers

OK, here's the parameters. The +1 and I are attending a wedding in October in Gettysburg, PA. We will have some time before the wedding to see the sites in that area. But afterwards, we will have 2 1/2 days (a Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday) to sight see before we have to be at the Dulles airport for our flight Wednesday morning. It could be in Pa, Maryland, Delaware or ?
Any suggestions from those that live on the right coast of what we definately should not miss? I will tell you that we have been to Washington DC twice, so that is not on the agenda, and we prefer to see geography, history and architecture over museums and city sites like Philadelphia etc. I would like to see the Chesapeake Bay, but that's a large area and don't know what would give us the broader views of the area. Restaurants are also important. (I love Philly cheesesteaks so hope to get the real deal someplace in Pa.) Also a favorite B&B for Sunday or Monday night would be nice.
OK, have at it, and thank you in advance.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

One thing is for sure, if you are going to be in Gettysburg !!!...and you like fine dining....Please eat @ the Dobbin House......then 8 miles to the West, is Cashtown...Try the Cashtown Inn.....Then there is the Fairfield Inn....also some fine dining !!!

History ??? Antietam...located in Sharpsburg MD.....

Check some of this.......

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=28928

Start on page 17...for some "Pix & Stories"...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're planning to drive through Pittsburgh let me know I can supply you with whatever you need.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 733 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Sep 10 2009, 03:04 PM
If you're planning to drive through Pittsburgh let me know I can supply you with whatever you need.
Hmmmmm, that sounds tempting.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 5,096 Likes on 3,073 Posts

I love a man with connections.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the Chesapeake Bay try Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I was there a few weeks ago. You will see the bay, architecture, history and dining. There are 2 Ruth Chris steakhouses within a block of each other. Best steak I ever had. ESPNZone on the water if you are into sports. Also the national aquarium is there. Take one of the boat tours of the bay. They also have battleships to tour if you're into that. Lots to do. I'd give it
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

A new business venture of yours, Maury?

Does Beth know?

Dean, Gettysburg itself is great for the history. Jerry/pask2 can fill you in. He's the Gettysburg expert.....so he says.

Jerry.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,596 Posts

If you want to avoid cities (I was going to suggest Philly for the cheesesteak at Jim's on South and, of course, the historical sights), why don't you go to Lancaster, PA (Amish country)? Check out this site for B&Bs:

http://www.authenticbandb.com/

There are some really nice ones!! As for food, the area is known for its smorgasbords. There is also the Central Market in downtown Lancaster:

"When you shop at Central Market at Penn Square in the heart of Lancaster City you become a part of a living history. This is America's oldest farmers' market building. Since the 1730's farmers have been bringing meats and vegetables to the site for sale to local residents. Many of today's standholders have been "on market" since the early 1900's."
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Keep 'em coming.
Maury, can I swap my econo rental car for a Porsche, Ferrari or MZB at your house?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM

Anybody else have suggestions?
One more question- we need to spend the last night close to Dulles Airport. I think we should be on the west side of DC to avoid traffic going into DC on Wed. morning. What's a good town/area to stay? Any favorite hotels?
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Vacation suggestions from east coast Vintagers