S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vietnam War

Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

I too am recording it. It may be a little difficult to watch since most of us in my age range lost so many friends and loved ones. It was interesting to watch JFK's obfuscation of the facts when a reporter asked him about escalation.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Go to the first post with the link. When I do, it shows that every episode can be streamed on demand.
Thanks Matt. That's perfect. I can even choose the foul language version!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
It was interesting to watch JFK's obfuscation of the facts when a reporter asked him about escalation.
Yes, I found that to be quite interesting too. All along many of us felt it was Lyndon Johnson who lied to us about Vietnam when in fact they all did starting with Truman.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

I'm also enjoying the series and have learned quite a bit. One thing that bothered me about last night's episode is a technical issue that I noticed (and I have noticed in many other series about Vietnam) : They were showing short video clips of the ARVN troops loading on helicopters, then shots in the air of helicopters, then shots of them unloading on the ground. The big problem is they mixed up the different types of helicopters, and only a pilot like me would notice the difference. In fact, for '61 they showed H-21's, CH-34's. H-19's, UH-1's, and even a CH-47 interchangeably. This bothered me as to the accuracy of any of the other video clips they chose to show. I assume they just picked up stock footage to use where they thought appropriate. I'm pretty sure that the Hueys (UH-1) and the Chinooks (CH-47) were not even there in the early '60's!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
I'm also enjoying the series and have learned quite a bit. One thing that bothered me about last night's episode is a technical issue that I noticed (and I have noticed in many other series about Vietnam) : They were showing short video clips of the ARVN troops loading on helicopters, then shots in the air of helicopters, then shots of them unloading on the ground. The big problem is they mixed up the different types of helicopters, and only a pilot like me would notice the difference. In fact, for '61 they showed H-21's, CH-34's. H-19's, UH-1's, and even a CH-47 interchangeably. This bothered me as to the accuracy of any of the other video clips they chose to show. I assume they just picked up stock footage to use where they thought appropriate. I'm pretty sure that the Hueys (UH-1) and the Chinooks (CH-47) were not even there in the early '60's!
That kinda bothered me, too. I suppose there just wasn't much stock footage taken, in the very early stages. There have been some B&W scenes, I don't think I've ever seen before. Esp those Piasecki H-21 Shawnee copters, in action. Quite nice.

Last edited by windhund116; 09-19-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

After an extra innings baseball game I watched the first half hour of the first episode. I had to stop watching it to get some sleep, but found it to be excellent. The US relationship with Ho during WWII and the loyalty conflict with France following WWII was something I never fully understood. I'm hoping they get deeper into how the country was divided into north and south after WWII. Who was at the table for that negotiation? Who made the agreements?

In the post 9/11 world of terrorism, I wonder why North Vietnam did not attempt similar attacks on US soil.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
The US relationship with Ho during WWII and the loyalty conflict with France following WWII was something I never fully understood.
Apparently neither did Ho.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Yes, I found that to be quite interesting too. All along many of us felt it was Lyndon Johnson who lied to us about Vietnam when in fact they all did starting with Truman.
Rob, some years back I listened to all the Johnson tapes from his White House years and was quite moved by how troubled he was by the Vietnam war. He truly experienced great angst about that war and wanted terribly to bring the troops back home. Sometime if I live long enough I want to listen to those tapes again. I was quite taken aback by his candid remarks and how much he did for this country. I really think his leadership skills and genuine caring spirit were underestimated.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Val, I believe Johnson's deal making ability as well as his caring spirit are well known and well documented.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The "small body" UA-1A choppers choppers arrived in RVN in the fall of 1962 (sixty two). The bigger UH-1Ds most are familiar with came in bulk with the 1st Cavalry Division circa 1965. The H-model looks just like the D-model and came a couple of years later. Nothing like a good war for weapons development!

The two-blade rotor sound is pretty defining. Witness the opening of the original China Beach when the doors blast open and almost knock down 1Lt McMurphy. Army nurses saved my life twice so I figured I better marry the last one. That scene with McMurphy still forces a lump in my throat. (A shame China Beach degenerated into a soap opera.)

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: The Vietnam War