S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What companies do you know & love?

Old 03-21-2019, 03:24 AM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Wegmans is a grocery store Patty.

They are great but i like the NY stores better than the local ones.
The local ones seemed jammed full and less spacious.

I wish I had a closer relationship with berkshire hathaway.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I find this type of list to be useless. For example, I read one last week with the company Intuit was somewhere around #20. Intuit isn't on this list at all. Microsoft is number 9 on this list but was much lower on other lists I've seen. I'm a big fan of Microsoft, but I doubt that it should be number 9.

I don't find these lists worth much.
No surprise. Ask one hundred people who Intuit is? Ask one hundred people who Microsoft is? If they have not switched to Apple, they don't know any better.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I don’t know if it’s me turning into a cranky old man or the state of businesses today but I can name more businesses that I don’t like than I do.
I will however say that my local supermarket price chopper in Manchester is great. The employees are always extremely helpful and upbeat and I’m pretty sure they don’t make a whole lot of money. Also the company itself tracks what items I buy and I get a book of coupons every month with about 90% of the items being the stuff I buy every week.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:25 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I like Hogy Lures. He is a small company of a couple employees and he makes good fishing lures and then blows out his inventory every so often with 40-50% off sales.

Wegmans has a sizeable store in Westwood, MA. We go there from time to time. It has a different feel to it. It reminds me a bit of Whole Foods, if that helps.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I can't really think of a company I love... I do very little shopping these days. Food shopping is mostly at the commissary. It is a great commissary, and cheap compared to regular grocery stores. So I guess I love that! We do have Whole Foods nearby and another organic grocery called MOM's. The Safeway up the street has been awful for years, but they are making some major upgrades to the store and it is much better. I do almost all my other shopping on Amazon. Not working definitely cuts down on costs like clothing/eating out. We do have a Target up the street, too, which does a booming business. It's a smaller one, designed for the customers who live/work around here. So more of a niche store that Target is building these days. It has a good variety of stuff. Convenience means more to me than almost anything else. Living where we can walk/Metro to most places is the key to my happiness.

https://momsorganicmarket.com/

Last edited by MsPerky; 03-21-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:11 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
WTH is a Wegman? Never heard of it.
Patty, as mentioned above, it is a north eastern chain so none out your way. But it is a widely admired company and not just for things like efficiency or gross margins. Freakonomics featured the chain in an interesting podcast that explains how a grocery store that has more workers per sq. ft. and pays them more, still manages to turn a nice profit. Here is a short blog that sums it up.
Why It Pays to Pay Employees More - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Very interesting business model and one I wish would be more widely adopted. Apparently, Wegman is widely used as a study case in a lot of business schools, so maybe the idea will spread. One can only hope.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

My perspective on Wegman's is perhaps different than most. Maybe it's geographic, maybe not.

I went to college in Buffalo. Going to Wegman's near campus was a huge change from the small Foodtown or A&P, and even the much larger Pathmark's in Central NJ. There was a wine shop, cheese section, bakery. There was a bulk aisle where you took food from barrels, weighed it, and paid for what you wanted. They had their own brand as well for some products. The store was probably 30 aisles!

Soon after a Super Tops went in across the street. This was the mid/late 80's and maybe the start of the super grocery store trend.

Now, where I live, there's a Shop-Rite. An older, small, 12 aisle one. I know where everything is. There's a Super Stop and Shop down the street and a Super Shop-Rite near where I work, and a Wegman's is in the next shopping center. I have the choice of probably 10 grocery stores within 10 minutes of work or home.

I find the Wegmans to be expensive. Their brand tends to be cheaper, and I'm not a brand snob, so that matters to me. I do like the fresh meat/fish counter, and the kosher deli counter means I can get real corned beef or pastrami. But for general, everyday/week grocery shopping, I prefer other places. For a quick run on the way home from work, I can shop by walking from my office and then get in the car, so it's convenient.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
My perspective on Wegman's is perhaps different than most. Maybe it's geographic, maybe not.

I went to college in Buffalo. Going to Wegman's near campus was a huge change from the small Foodtown or A&P, and even the much larger Pathmark's in Central NJ. There was a wine shop, cheese section, bakery. There was a bulk aisle where you took food from barrels, weighed it, and paid for what you wanted. They had their own brand as well for some products. The store was probably 30 aisles!

Soon after a Super Tops went in across the street. This was the mid/late 80's and maybe the start of the super grocery store trend.

Now, where I live, there's a Shop-Rite. An older, small, 12 aisle one. I know where everything is. There's a Super Stop and Shop down the street and a Super Shop-Rite near where I work, and a Wegman's is in the next shopping center. I have the choice of probably 10 grocery stores within 10 minutes of work or home.

I find the Wegmans to be expensive. Their brand tends to be cheaper, and I'm not a brand snob, so that matters to me. I do like the fresh meat/fish counter, and the kosher deli counter means I can get real corned beef or pastrami. But for general, everyday/week grocery shopping, I prefer other places. For a quick run on the way home from work, I can shop by walking from my office and then get in the car, so it's convenient.
As a matter of fact, I feel very much the same way you do. We have two Shop-Rites near us one about 4 miles away and one about 6 miles in the other direction. The further one is about 2 years old and bigger than the nearer one. About a year ago a Wegman's opened near the newer Shop-Rite.

We find the Wegmans to be a bit too big and a bit too pricey. We like the Shop-Rites better. Both have a nice front end with prepared food and various food service counters but we find that the Shop-Rite is better laid out and easier to navigate. We find the same thing with the aisles. We're very comfortable in the Shop-Rites and prefer them.

As an aside, Shop-Rite supports a number of charities in New Jersey in a very big way. I imagine that Wegmans does as well, but I don't really know.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Obviously I'm rather fond of Mercedes. and even much more lately, I'll elaborate more in a few weeks.

I like danner boots, I have had one set for nearly 30 years. have four or five more now.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 1,415 Likes on 768 Posts

#4 - L.L. Bean for me. I've never been disappointed in any product I've ordered from them, plus they have exemplary customer service.

Quick Reply: What companies do you know & love?