S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What makes a meet great, part VI

Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by valentine,Jun 12 2006, 10:01 AM
Nope -- we went to the restaurant up the street because they had a better breakfast. Sorry, John.
When I walked in the restaurant up the street on Sunday morning I thought 3/4 of the entire group was there...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 12 2006, 11:39 AM
When I walked in the restaurant up the street on Sunday morning I thought 3/4 of the entire group was there...
we were, but it was goooooooood!!! Blueberry pancakes, yummmmm. First time I've had them in years. Delishhhh and much better because Jerry paid .
Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by RC - Ryder,Jun 12 2006, 10:15 AM
The WG certainly exceeded inititial expectations
Even for me! WOW!!!

I'm still working on my thank you email to the track, not an easy task considering just how extraordinary the service was they provided to us. Everyone who did "parade laps" should be extremely grateful, for trust me when I say, those were very unusual parade laps.

As I was the 1st car behind the pace car (Denise took some killer shots we have to get from Marco) here is how I recall the situation. At the my normal braking point at the end of the straight I looked down and I was doing 25 to 28 mph, that is 100 mph slower than normal for me there. At this point I sort of resigned myself to the fact that this might be some really slow laps. Well the next thing I realized was the pace car was pulling away from me. What? The Solara is pulling me? What the hell? So, I dropped the S down to 2nd and stood on it, then jumping into 3rd before going into the top of Turn 5 where I took my normal line in good and tight to the curb for a real late apex. By the time I was at the apex I was on the back of the pacecar, and because his line was so poor I was also on his inside edge. At this point he got on it a bit more and I let him pull away slightly because I wanted to see if he could do better in Turn 6. Nope. So I stayed off the brake going down into 6 and then fed on the power and got right under his tail going into 7, The Toe of The Boot.

Long story short, I just glued myself to the backside of that Solara, there was no way he was going to pull on me, and I honestly believe based upon this and the fact that I had a way better line and I think he realized it, we not only got some seriously speedy laps, but as I counted, we got an extra one.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 12 2006, 12:57 PM
...but as I counted, we got an extra one.
Ok, this was what I thought too. How many were we supposed to get and how many did you count?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 12 2006, 11:57 AM
Even for me! WOW!!!
Doug,

You really outdid yourself with the drive and the laps. The laps were great and as RC said they far exceeded my expectations. But, the drive was truly fantastic. It was a fun drive and a bit of a trip down memory lane.

In the late 60s and early 70s my friends and I would go to the Glen every summer for the races. We'd camp out for three days, watch the races during the day and hang out at night. This was sort of like homecoming. I haven't been back to the Glen since about 1974.

To drive the old race course, we did two laps, and then the new course was awesome. Even Adam was wide eyed and awestruck.

You truly laid out a great drive.

I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time and didn't have a chance to talk to you and others more, but, that could be a good reason to do this again. I'd like that.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for pushing that pacecar. Those "parade laps" were a blast. Wow! Tom

Organizers and everyone - thank you. You're all great! I'd be remise if I didn't give a special thanks to Eric for introducing me to some fantastic local beers.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by RC - Ryder,Jun 12 2006, 10:25 AM
Rob: Nice meeting you. Thanks for your herc to-and-from effort and bringing the superb event memerobilia. You certainly packed a lot into a short period of time!! See you next time aound.
It was a nice time for me too all be it far to short. I wanted to see all of my old friends and meet my new friends. I'm sorry I didn't get much of a chance to talk to anyone, but, we'll just have to do this again. (Soon I hope.)
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by tom717,Jun 12 2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for pushing that pacecar. Those "parade laps" were a blast. Wow! Tom
My pleasure, it's my "job".

To everyone
You are welcome for the track time. And as far as the routes for our drives, Eric really is the man. He knows the roads in his area very well and he did a great job pulling the right parts together.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 AM

And Tom,
Thank you for letting me make Supersprint music!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 12 2006, 01:12 PM
My pleasure, it's my "job".

To everyone
You are welcome for the track time. And as far as the routes for our drives, Eric really is the man. He knows the roads in his area very well and he did a great job pulling the right parts together.
Thank you, Eric

Quick Reply: What makes a meet great, part VI