S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What it means to be Vintage.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default What it means to be Vintage.

I've been thinking about this lately. Not just Vintage as in this forum, but Vintage as in middle aged, over 40 and experienced. What does it mean to be Vintage?

I suppose just by virtue of our age its assumed that we've been around the block a few times, that we've gained experience and that we see things and think things with the benefit of that experience. And I suppose that the logical extension of that is that our decisions are better and wiser than those made by people with less experience. Do you think thats true? I do sometimes, but sometimes I don't. I see many of our contemporaries making bad decisions, exhibiting poor judgement and just acting foolishly. I'm not so sure.

By virtue of our age it is expected that we will have aches and pains, and not be able to do the things that we used to do. I don't know. I oftentimes refuse to believe that. I still make demands on my body, and still refuse to accept the fact that it has any right to ache or give me pain. And when I have pain I feel that my body is betraying me. I don't feel old, why should my body? I suppose I'm fooling myself, but I refuse to accept this. How about you?

By virtue of our age I suppose that we should be settled and accomplished, and I suppose to a certain degree many of us are. We are more financially secure than when we were in our twenties and we certainly are more settled. On the other hand, I still don't feel like I've accomplished much of what I set out to accomplish or have achieved all that I think I can. I still think I have a long way to go. How about you? Do you feel this way too?

So, what does being Vintage mean to you?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aches and pains are an absolute truth. I cut firewood and I hurt. I bodysurf and I hurt. I refuse to stop enjoying life, even after a double fusion in my back, knee surgery and the last 12 weeks doing physical therapy for my shoulder. I must rock on.

My decisions seem knowledgeable and wise to my daughters and their husbands, so now I am skeptical of offering any advice.

I concur I have found a comfort level financially, yet I am aware of the fragility of that situation. I am beginning to doubt I will accomplish my goal of retiring at 55. With seven years to go, I haven't a clue how one can secure medical coverage, without spending more than all other expenses combined. But, I hope to make that my first accomplishment, so I can move on to many others. I want to earn my six pack license and captain charters on the OBX.

Tonight, I am thankful for the health and love of our family. Tomorrow may be another story.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It often means being called "Sir" and looking around and realizing the person that looks as old as you think you look, is talking to you.

Looking in the mirror some mornings and wondering, "who the hell is that staring back".

Planning a vacation and reading reviews on line to be sure the resort is "not kid friendly".

Looking at, and I stress looking at, younger women, then feeling like a dirty old man because they are only a couple of years older than your daughter!

Hoping to soon be as wise as I thought my father was when he was my age.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Being Vintage means I don't want to think I'm Vintage. It's really OK, but I'd rather not go there. I have a dentist appointment today and that always makes me feel especially Vintage, if I don't just get in and out with out any problems.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Being Vintage does mean you have to have plenty of Advil, Tylenol, or whatever works for you on hand at all times. Being Vintage means you now may have a little zip lock bag of prescription medicine in your carry on bag when you travel. Being Vintage means the color of your hair has changed as has the shape of your body. Being Vintage means you most likely have suffered through the loss of loved ones.

Being Vintage also means you most likely have had the joy of welcoming new members into your family. Daughters in law, sons in law, or the joy of joys a grandchild, or your sibling's grandchild. Being Vintage means you may not care quite so much what others think of you and you even may participate in a sing a long even though you can't sing, because, again, it doesn't matter what others think of you any more. Being Vintage means you just start to feel more comfortable in your own skin.

Being Vintage may mean some financial security, but there is plenty of insecurity too. Are we saving enough? What will we do about insurance? Will we ever retire? What health issues will we face as we age?

Being Vintage is not a bad thing. It's new and different and new and different are both good things.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

except I don't do advil or tylenol and I don't have to take prescription meds yet. Occasionally an aspirin or two helps relieve some of the aches/pains from over doing it. I've learned to not get overwrought about things I cannot control and to step away and view from a distance and with thought those things that are disturbing to me. Being Vintage means I miss a lot of folks who are no longer among the living, so I value those people who are left behind much more. However, being Vintage doesn't mean I've learned all that I want to learn or all that I will learn. It also doesn't mean I don't enjoy new adventures, ie, I'm not finished yet either, Rob.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

bumping this up, I'd love to hear from more of you folks on this. Its a great topic.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:44 AM

I remembered when I hit the topic, then I forgot when I hit the reply.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Being vintage means remembering black and white television, looking up as a jet flew overhead, winding up the record player before putting a steel needle on a graphite record that sound like a live acoustic concert in the middle of a fireworks display, hearing live radio from another country at marvelling at how they could possibly do that,.

Then I suddenly new I'd turned vintage when driving along with my 10 year old daughter some years ago, and she pointed at a phone booth and asked "Whats that"? I told her, and she asked what it was for? I told her it was for making phone calls. She said "Why dont they simply use their mobile phones?"

I told my son as he was learning to drive that "in my day" cars had no power steering or brakes. No air, or CD player. Not even a radio. Heaters were rare, seats were vinyl, and carpet was for houses.

He said, "Yeah...right..."

A friend bought a CD by U2 called "Hits and B sides". His son asked him what a B side was.

Soon the iPod generation are going to wonder why people mess around with those silly plastic discs. And what is the big clunky machine with "VCR" on it for? Why does your car have three pedals?

Being vintage means I'm glad to be alive, and to look back on what we had and be grateful for what we have now.

Those good old days are nothing but a romantic notion to gild the nostalgic memories of our youth. It wasn't the times that were great. It was being young.

And I'd rather be young in 2006 than 1956.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Leopardsocks,Jan 14 2006, 09:44 PM
And I'd rather be young in 2006 than 1956.
I agree, absolutely. This is a great time to be young. The future looks to be very exciting and bright. But I think that anytime in the last 100 years was a great time to be young.

Quick Reply: What it means to be Vintage.