S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What are your motel ratings!

Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Not even with Rick?
Well I guess he's OK..he does put the seat down.
Originally Posted by MsPerky
All the B&Bs we've stayed in have lovely private baths. They aren't hostels.
Good to hear. Every now and again I have looked at B&B's out of curiosity and there have been some that still have shared bathroom as an option. Rick would not be comfortable in B&B situation....people might expect him to strike up a conversation...He needs to hang with car people for that.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

^^^
Same here...no B.B. for me ever.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:38 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Mid priced (since that's usually where we stay on one-night stop-overs on the road.):
Courtyard by Marriott is always a safe choice.
Hampton Inn is very consistent and has good included breakfasts.
Most Holiday Inn Express locations are solid. Some have indoor pools.

Since the mid-range and budget hotels are almost always owned by a local or regional franchisee, there is variability in terms of staff, cleanliness, comfort, etc. I always check reviews for specific locations.

We stayed in a Best Western in Tallahassee overnight, recently. The breakfast was buffet style so the eggs were scrambled and everything was set out in warmers. But it may have been the best basic breakfast I've had in a year. The eggs were absolutely perfect, silky but not a bit runny. The biscuits must have come out of the oven less than an hour before we ate. The fruit was very good, especially considering the time of year. Coffee was bracing and flavorful without being overpowering in that burnt-bean Starbucks way. The hotel itself was fine, clean with no issues. Service was good. But I picked this hotel based on many ratings that raved about the breakfast.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM
tof

Re: B&Bs, we like them. It's a bit more of a roll of the dice vs. the hotel chains. But sometimes you are handsomely rewarded. I posted last summer about the B&B in Penn Yan, N.Y. where I stayed by myself while attending my class reunion. Not only was the place fascinating and the food better than most fine dining restaurants with several delicious and imaginative courses, but the owner took us for a spin in his old Citroen DS and let us drool over his perfect TR6. The two couples with whom I shared a breakfast table were fascinating and wonderful company for a two hour morning food experience. So, you never know.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

We generally choose Hampton. I have stayed at many good Hamptons but we have also ran into some duds. I do think that Super 8 could move off of the "Avoid" list. They are in the process of building new throughout the country and I have stayed in a few that would put Hampton to shame. Now don't get me wrong, there are some that still need lots of work but they are improving.

I have walked out of Hamptons, HI Express, HI, Best Western, etc that I have thought were dives. Most of the time all I want is a clean room, clean bathroom and a decent price.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:59 PM
tof

Originally Posted by dlq04
We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on Friday; with tax it was $149 . . not exactly moderate priced and although it was brand new, with very cool updated features, lighting, etc. it had the worst pillows I tried to sleep on in years - at 4am I went down to the desk to see if they had any that were thinner for a side sleeper but they did not.
When traveling by car, we always bring our own pillows from home. You can't fix a poor mattress, but a friendly pillow can go a long way toward insuring a decent night's sleep on the road.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Hamptons never let me down for business travel.

Mostly HI Express where we travel during retirement.

Both have been reliably clean and meet my minimal requirement ...

Fresh cinnamon rolls
Old 02-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
When traveling by car, we always bring our own pillows from home. You can't fix a poor mattress, but a friendly pillow can go a long way toward insuring a decent night's sleep on the road.
Thanks Mike, my wife told me to take mine before we left but we didn't have room (ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha) with a totally empty truck bed except for some sand bags.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Generally my challenge is finding a hotel within budget when i'm on work travel.
We have to travel within "per diem approved rates"
Occasionally little secrets pop up that are worthwhile. Hyatt on occasion or Sheraton four winds but that's rare.

When it's our nickel it's usually Marriot residence Inn or courtyard.
The American club in Kohler was great but not exactly economy travel lodging.

Quick Reply: What are your motel ratings!