S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where has jukngene been?

Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 1,435 Likes on 778 Posts

For those of you who may have noticed my absence the last 4 weeks or so, Rob has suggested that I go public with what has been going on in my life.

About 4 weeks ago, my Significant Other (Bea), started complaining of severe headaches, vision problems, and numbness on her right side. I tried to get her to go to the ER then, but the symptoms seemed to go away and she refused. She called her eye doctor the next day, who told her they were classic symptoms of migraines (although she had never had a migraine before) Well, the symptoms continued, and I finally convinced her to go to the ER (after 2 more days). After a 3 hr wait, she was seen. They did a CAT scan, and ran some other tests. They all came back negative. We were sent home with instructions to treat a headache and with an appointment the next morning with a neurologist.

The neurologist's PA spent about 30 minutes with her, and he, too, was treating her as having classic migraine symptoms. The neurologist then came in and gave us about 2 minutes of his "valuable" time, echoing the diagnosis of the PA. They did schedule her for an MRI about a week later. The next day, though, she was getting worse. I called the doctor's office and demanded that she be given the MRI as soon as possible. They told me to bring her in that afternoon. As I was getting her out of the car at the doctor's office, she collapsed in my arms.

That got their attention, and they called 911. She was taken to the hospital ER, and this time, my fears were confirmed: she had suffered at least 2 strokes. They began the entire series of tests then, and determined she had a 100% blockage in her left carotid artery. Surgery was scheduled 3 days later, as they wanted her to stabilize.

When the vascular surgeon performed the surgery, he was amazed to find no blockage where the films had shown it. He had other films made while she was on the table, and they showed the blockage further up, behind the skull, where he could not operate. He sewed her back up, and she was sent to ICU, then to IMC, where she recovered from the surgery in good fashion.

In the meantime, I asked a doctor who I know socially (a fellow pilot) what he would do in our situation, so he recommended another neurologist, who came to see her. He immediately began to try to get her into the Univ. of PA Hospital in Philadelphia, since he had connections there. Due to her neck surgery, however, they said there was nothing they could do until it healed, so she may as well stay where she was and begin therapy.

She was moved to the Rehab Unit Friday a week ago, and her progress has been remarkable. She had been unable to speak, and is now speaking in sentences, she is walking unassisted, and the feeling in her right side is returning. (By the way, she had exhibited none of the classic predispositions for stroke: her cholesterol was normal, she never smoked, she exercised regularly, and is only 54 years old) She is also now on an oral blood thinner (coumadin- sp?) to minimize the risk of a further stroke.

Needless to say, this has been a stressful situation for me and her family, but I have received much support from my friends and co-workers, and the few people on the S2KI board whom I told privately.

We are facing another 10 days or so of therapy, then, hopefully, we will be moving her to UPenn for further treatment.

I am going to withhold my comments about the local medical community, but as you can imagine, it isn't too favorable. I know there are MD's on this board, but I have to say that the doctors who practice "factory" medicine are not on my Christmas card list. (Legal Bill, are you listening?)

Thanks for hearing me out. I do appreciate the maturity and sense of community that the Vintage group has. As many others have found, it's a great place to come for advice, to vent, or to share your feelings. Who would have ever thought that owning a "cute little sports car" could lead to this comradarie?!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Gene

Our prayers are with Bea. I (we) hope for and expect a full and speedy recovery.

I am glad that you posted this. I want you and Bea to know how very much the entire Vintage community thinks of the two of you. I am sure that there will be many, many hellos and get wells posted here. Please read them to Bea. It will cheer her up.

Also, I (we) want you to know that we are here if you need us. Just say the word.

In the meantime, as always, say hello to Bea and take care of yourself.

Yes, the car brought us together, but its the people who keep us together.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to hear, our thoughts are with you, Bea, and the entire family.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Gene, I'll repeat my offer to assist if you come to HUP (HospUnivPenna)....esp since I'm currently a 'man of leisure' It's upsetting to hear about all of the early warning signs that might have been diagnosed earlier.....but medicine is NOT an exact science.

Thanks for sharing these difficult times with us, and it's great to hear about Bea's progress! It seems like only a few days ago that you, Bea, Kathy and I were sitting in Zippy's home theater at the DelVAl MidWntr Gathering....watching Gladiator or whatever it was

Yes, please keep us up to date and let this community know when there are things that can help you out!

Jerry
Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 PM

Wow Gene, it's always scary how quickly life can turn around. It was good to read though that Bea is recovering from the strokes. We'll hope all goes well from here on out and you're both enjoying top down rides this summer.

That medical question is a real quandry. My father is dealing with some very serious issues now and it's really the first time in my life, thankfully, that I've been actively involved with a serious illness. One doc that spent a half hour with us made a point of telling us that he had spent more than the usual time with a patient. Well thanks, but we're talking living or dying here, half hour doesn't seem like a lot to me. I guess you just become your own advocate and try to be as informed and forceful as is necessary.

The very best of luck to you. We're all pulling for the both of you.

Gary
Old 02-07-2004, 07:47 PM

Gene & Bea,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. If I can help you down here in W/S just let me know.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gene, echoing the comments of others, my prayers and thoughts are with you and Bea. We're often thrown these "curveballs of life" and don't really know why. But I believe there is a reason for everything. Even the bad stuff. So, keep the faith and tell Bea to keep busting her butt in physical therapy. I expect my "wingman" and his wife to be right behind me at the Spring Fling drive in late April. I think I sent you my home phone number in one of the PM's so feel free to call any time. Make sure you play some Metallica for Bea. It's good for the adrenaline.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Yes, Gene, I am glad you decided to post here. I echo the sentiments of everyone in wishing Bea a speedy recovery. It seems she has made remarkable progress.

I can certainly sympathize about doctors, having been through almost two years of hell with my mother's back pain. Her spinal surgeon was very arrogant and really turned me off. He made some comment once after 30 minutes about having other patients to see, and I basically told him what I thought about that. Needless to say I'm not on his nice nice list. He's not on mine either.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Gene, so glad you posted about this -- been thinking about you and really missing you from the forum!! It is so encouraging to hear that Bea appears to be recovering nicely and so much better than some of our friends who've had similar problems in the past. I understand your frustration with the medical practitioners in your area and hope that you are successful in getting her to a better facility. Yes -- this is a remarkable community and it never ceases to amaze me how as you put it, "a cute little car" has spawned such a wonderful sense of comraderie. My best to you and Bea.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to be positive. It sounds like you did everything right and things are are looking up. Now that you know what the problem is, hopefully, she'll get the best of care. In your situation, I'd be furious as well, but you'll both have plenty of time for that later.
Best regards to you both!

Quick Reply: Where has jukngene been?