S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Winter Olympics

Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts
Default Winter Olympics

Anyone watching? My wife is a big fan of these events, so its on the tv a lot. From what I've watched off and on, NBC's coverage certainly has not been great. Where's Matt Lauer when you need him? ()
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

It’s all over the T.V....not my cup of t...
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I've been watching when I can, it's helpful that Xfinity (Comcast) is offering a lot of it on replays so I can watch at my leisure. I like the winter games over the summer ones, I find them more fun to watch.

I tried watching the opening ceremony but the constant talking by the commentators really put me off, they just wouldn't shut up.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
It’s all over the T.V....not my cup of t...
Emil, I suspect given the Canadian talent, Canada's coverage is probably better.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Not a big fan of the Olympics. Too much bias, cheating and politics. The Russians have ruined it for me. And they are not the only country cheating with performance enhanced drugs. And I thought cycling was bad.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm holding out until they add dodge ball!

Olympics may introduce dodgeball, pole dancing, and foosball - INSIDER
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the Winter Olympics and watch as much as possible. Go USA!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Would it be un-American to say I have about zero interest in the Olympics? I don't watch it at all, however, I do appreciate the efforts the athletes and their families put into getting to such an event. I do listen to the news and it is good to hear if USA is winning some medals.

PS, Dave, I think Matt Lauer is meeting with divorce lawyers trying to see how much $ he has to fork over.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Would it be un-American to say I have about zero interest in the Olympics? I don't watch it at all, however, I do appreciate the efforts the athletes and their families put into getting to such an event. I do listen to the news and it is good to hear if USA is winning some medals.

PS, Dave, I think Matt Lauer is meeting with divorce lawyers trying to see how much $ he has to fork over.

Unless you like figure skating and snowboarding, there hasn't been much else to watch. And I don't care much for either of them. I tried to watch some skating, but the announcers are an odd collection and I don;t care for any of them or what they have to say. I think I can see when someone falls down and I know that isn't good for them.

I was intrigued for a bit by the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" issue, but now I'm over that as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Without conventional TV (no cable, no satellite, no standing antenna), I have no investment in seeing anything Olympic-related. That said, I was at my folks, and watched the biathlon and luge yesterday. The thing that'd make the biathlon even better is putting a heart rate monitor on the athletes and transmitting their heart rates (at least to the TV audience). The luge results were awesome mostly because of the US surprise, but I was rather annoyed that they didn't take the time out to analyze some of the better runs in more detail; it was more of a case of "hey, watch these folks go fast and we're not gonna tell you why. . . you're getting in the way of the ice skating which is ratings gold."

I wish they'd just get this stuff on pay-as-you-go or one-channel-per-sport, so if you want to watch ALL the curling, or ALL the ice dancing, or ALL the long-track speed skating, you can. We have the technology.

Quick Reply: Winter Olympics