S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Words our grandkids will never know

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, here's one for you although I am not sure of the spelling (Yiddush)
a "safylsence" call? Any idea?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy
I'm sure I'd know it if I heard it, but I don't recognize it the way it's spelled.

My parents and grandparents spoke Yiddish at home thinking that my sisters and I wouldn't know what they were saying, but we learned the language just by listening. The three of us could speak and understand it very well.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 1,012 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy' timestamp='1339683085' post='21781112
I'm sure I'd know it if I heard it, but I don't recognize it the way it's spelled.

My parents and grandparents spoke Yiddish at home thinking that my sisters and I wouldn't know what they were saying, but we learned the language just by listening. The three of us could speak and understand it very well.
I tried figuring out the pronunciation as well. Yiddish has a lot of words that begin with the "Shhhh" sound. Maury, can you try to spell it phonetically?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 AM

Received 941 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1339716743' post='21782754
[quote name='Jumpy Guy' timestamp='1339683085' post='21781112']

I tried figuring out the pronunciation as well. Yiddish has a lot of words that begin with the "Shhhh" sound. Maury, can you try to spell it phonetically?
[/quote]

I have no clue about Yiddish words, but I do love a challenge.

Maury, could you also use it in a sentence? Maybe, seeing how the word is used in context might help someone figure out the word, too.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 AM

That was spelled as phonetically as I could. When my parents, grandparents or relatives would travel (mostly to Atlantic City) they would call home collect by using the operator. They would than ask for themselves or use a code word and we would not accept the call but knew they arrived safe thus saving probably ten cents.

EXP. Operator - I have a collect call for anyone from Dorothy Safe.
Us: - I'm sorry but Dorothy is not available at this time.
Operator: Thank you very much.
Didn't cost anything, but we knew that my mom and party arrived safe.

Once my grandmother forgot her jacket (probably mink coat cause it gets really cold on the boardwalk in August)and called home and my mother answered when she called asking for Francis Coat. Still remember as if it was yesterday.

Does that help? I know that this wasn't a "Frankel" thing, we weren't that smart.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 AM

Hunting :/
Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

That was spelled as phonetically as I could. When my parents, grandparents or relatives would travel (mostly to Atlantic City) they would call home collect by using the operator. They would than ask for themselves or use a code word and we would not accept the call but knew they arrived safe thus saving probably ten cents.

EXP. Operator - I have a collect call for anyone from Dorothy Safe.
Us: - I'm sorry but Dorothy is not available at this time.
Operator: Thank you very much.
Didn't cost anything, but we knew that my mom and party arrived safe.

Once my grandmother forgot her jacket (probably mink coat cause it gets really cold on the boardwalk in August)and called home and my mother answered when she called asking for Francis Coat. Still remember as if it was yesterday.

Does that help? I know that this wasn't a "Frankel" thing, we weren't that smart.
Maury,

I still don't recognize it. Was it a combination of the English word safe and the Yiddish sounding ending lechas? Lots of the old timers would put words together like that especially when they didn't want the "goyim" to know what they were saying.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 1,012 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1339748249' post='21783591
[quote name='ralper' timestamp='1339716743' post='21782754']
[quote name='Jumpy Guy' timestamp='1339683085' post='21781112']

[/quote]

I have no clue about Yiddish words, but I do love a challenge.

Maury, could you also use it in a sentence? Maybe, seeing how the word is used in context might help someone figure out the word, too.

[/quote]
Unless you speak some Yiddish, I doubt hearing it in context would help. Interesting idea though.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Try this
Sa fly sense
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 941 Likes on 554 Posts

Try this
Sa fly sense
Okay, so this is a very far fetched idea, but is it possible that it wasn't Yiddish at all?

And, that it is just English for:

A "Save five cents" call.

Quick Reply: Words our grandkids will never know