S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Xmas gift buying - oh, how I hate it

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 5,016 Likes on 3,032 Posts
Default Xmas gift buying - oh, how I hate it

It is one thing to buy for the grandkids. In fact, I had no trouble in helping +1 separate herself from $600 on two kids - a 7 year old and an 8 year old. That in it's self seems nuts but when it comes to others..... 11 days to go and I've not bought +1 a thing yet. I hate this time of year.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I agree! I hate to be in crowded stores and malls full of eager shoppers. And I'm.affraid I'll get my ass shot off with some crazy bugger's AR-15!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I hate it too. We've shopped for the youngest grandkids, are sending gift cards or checks to the older ones and still have a couple of things left. We go in spurts, shop a little and LEAVE.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

We usually do the same, toys for the Grandkids and checks for the rest. This year however my wife threw them all a curve ball.

She told them they're all getting presents no checks. That caused major kid consternation. Suddenly lists started appearing. She told them don't bother, you get what I pick. Then they started asking her what she wanted and she told them go pick it, she wanted to be surprised.

It's pretty funny when you rock the family Christmas boat..er sleigh... There's going to be some interesting gift giving this year.

HO HO HO

fltsfshr
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

We normally give checks to the kids (27, 28, 30 &31).... a few small goofy presents are given also..

Just too hard to buy for.....

For the grandkids..... normally get a few small gifts and give checks to be put in their education fund account. The other 3 sets of grandparents get enough toys to fill up a Toyr R Us, so why add to that pile?

As to Kathy..... she helped me pick out her main present when we were at Denny & Sharon's wedding up in Gettysburg..... Plus she gets her 12 days of Christmas bag of little gifts!

I think I was done shopping right at the end of November.....
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Not having kids/grandkids makes it easier. I've never been a big gift giver at this time of year. I like the idea of planting trees in the name of everyone, or donating to a charity. I don't think kids really appreciate all the stuff, espcially when they get so much of it. Just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I feel your pain, Dave, I've simplified this whole Christmas shopping deal. The granddaughter is easy. She and I go shopping, she picks out some clothing, and I find a few other small surprise gifts from things she mentions. I hope to have one good surprise in a T shirt with the British Flag on it, brought over from the UK by my cousin's daughter. This has something to do with a band she likes.

Daughter in law did much of the toy shopping for our grandson. I'm practical with the rest, thankfully the list isn't long. Daughter in law got two new tires for her car and my son got a car repair. Their cars have a ton of mileage on them and they both have a commute. I need to know they are safe as they don't always prioritize things as we might. They get a few other small things under the tree.

Mom gets cash and some stocking stuffers. A couple other presents for small kids get purchased along the way.

Rick and I don't exchange. I bought myself some presents when shopping for others.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Not having kids/grandkids makes it easier. I've never been a big gift giver at this time of year. I like the idea of planting trees in the name of everyone, or donating to a charity. I don't think kids really appreciate all the stuff, espcially when they get so much of it. Just my opinion.
You're probably dead on, MsP. We REALLLLLLY cut back on the gifts over the past few years. We used to buy everything imaginable that toddlers/kids could want. Now we send a couple of gifts to each of the little ones, gift cards to the teens and checks to the adults. Our youngest daughter is a bit of an exception since she's the only unmarried one and has no other family here but us. We buy her surprises and enjoy seeing the surprise on her face. She's the only one who spends Christmas with us, so in a very greedy kind of way, we're vicariously enjoying Christmas through her.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,544 Posts

The kids and grandkids are relatively easy. $$

The new wife is the hard part!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too do not enjoy the shopping...
Over the years though I have made it simple on myself
I buy gift cards and call it a day
I still buy and/or make my Mom's gift, but that's all

So, as we are on the subject, let me ask a question to you older/wiser people
I have several nieces and nephews and they are older thus there are now their kids added to the mix
Do you give gifts to relatives that do not give gifts to you?
I gave gift cards as I always did for a couple years after they stopped giving me anything
Now I have no issue with the fact that they cut back, hell, they have their own families, I'm totally ok with that
However, there seems to be some tension that I no longer give gifts to people who have not given me gifts in years
Classic family double standard

Quick Reply: Xmas gift buying - oh, how I hate it