S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are You Ready For Some Football!!! (2018-19)

Old 01-06-2019, 08:29 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

That was some weird play on the Eagles last scoring drive. Incomplete...no, wait. Complete with three steps by the receiver controlling the ball. Then a fumble. But no one recovered the fumble. So...um...incomplete, I guess?

The double-doink field goal miss had to be tough for Bears fans to take, but they have to be pleased with how far the Bears got this year and how good they looked doing it. Could be brighter days ahead in Chicago.

I'm glad Philly won, because otherwise my team (Saints) would be playing my favorite QB (Dak from Mississippi State). That's already happened once this season. That was enough.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
That was some weird play on the Eagles last scoring drive. Incomplete...no, wait. Complete with three steps by the receiver controlling the ball. Then a fumble. But no one recovered the fumble. So...um...incomplete, I guess?

The double-doink field goal miss had to be tough for Bears fans to take, but they have to be pleased with how far the Bears got this year and how good they looked doing it. Could be brighter days ahead in Chicago.

I'm glad Philly won, because otherwise my team (Saints) would be playing my favorite QB (Dak from Mississippi State). That's already happened once this season. That was enough.
Typical bad call, lots of them this year. Foles to the rescue again. The Eagles relish being the underdog and look what happened last year when they were the underdogs all the way to the SB.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Didn't watch much yesterday because of company but what I did see was some really sloppy play by the Ravens.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM
tof

Originally Posted by tof
Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Typical bad call, lots of them this year.
OK, first off I mistakenly said it was the Eagles who were on offense, but it was the Bears. Obviously my short term memory isn't getting any better.

And, yes, the call on the field of an incomplete pass was a bad call. But in defense of the official, it was really pretty hard to see in real time if the receiver took a step after securing the ball but before it was stripped. Replay is specifically designed to address these situations. As to the replay call, it was correct per NFL rules, according to Yahoo Sports:Officials got replay call correct

But a dive into the rulebook shows that though officials got the call wrong on the field, they made the proper replay conclusion.
[Referee] Corrente acknowledged that there was a catch and a fumble by noting that “there was no clear recovery.”
But when this situation happens, and there’s no recovery, the rulebook dictates that the ruling of incomplete must stand, even with the acknowledgment that there was a valid catch.

Still, the whole thing was not a good look for the NFL. But what's also interesting is the fact that had a player from either team jumped on the ball they would have gained possession at the spot of the recovery. So it would have been a turnover for the Eagles or a first down for the Bears. In such a tight game that might have made a huge difference. How often do we see players pick up loose balls that are clearly just incomplete passes and attempt to advance the ball? Yet in this case no one from either team did so.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
For teh bears fans, I can't think of a more painful way to lose a game..... well maybe a five lateral hokey doke last play of the game....

just another heart broken Bears fan, but still loving Da Bears
Old 01-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

My brother in law is a bears fan, but he had a mild heart attack early new years morning so I can't bust 'em just yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Didn't watch much yesterday because of company but what I did see was some really sloppy play by the Ravens.
I agree Dave. Their rookie QB Jackson made a lot of sloppy plays and 2 fumbles He runs too much and is not a very good passing QB. Running QB's have short careers. The great QB's (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc) win games with their arms not their legs. The Ravens should have put Flacco in during the 2nd half. Maybe the Ravens will sign Foles when he becomes a free agent this year. He really wins games with his arm.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:42 AM
tof

On a different football note, who saw the beat-down of Alabama by Clemson coming?

Put your hands down. No you didn't.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

LOL
Shocked here. But no lost wagers.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
On a different football note, who saw the beat-down of Alabama by Clemson coming?

Put your hands down. No you didn't.
I think that there is a little Clemson-Alabama fatigue going on.

Quick Reply: Are You Ready For Some Football!!! (2018-19)