S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Engine cleaning-your thought's

Old 07-12-2006, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aze85,Jul 12 2006, 12:12 AM
would using the foam gun with soam gold class soap be a good idea?
I wouldn't use a foam gun. Way too much suds to rinse off and too much water involved which could damage the engine.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jul 8 2006, 01:58 PM
What's a watch cloth?

Also, while I'm sure silicone has served you well, I would have two concerns about dressing my engine with it. First, lubricating parts which should not be lubricated. Second, silicone tends to sit on the surface of plastic/rubber so it would attract a lot of dust making the need for engine cleaning more frequent than necessary.
I agree, silicon lubricant is more prone to dust collecting.

it's a win/lose scenerio. I prefer the increase in life then looks. But you can always wipe it down with a wet cloth occassional.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jul 12 2006, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't use a foam gun. Way too much suds to rinse off and too much water involved which could damage the engine.
what about covering vital electrical components like the battery, dist cap, and alternator. then would it be alright? shouldnt you do that anyways?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=iDomN8U,Jul 12 2006, 12:51 PM] I agree, silicon lubricant is more prone to dust collecting.

it's a win/lose scenerio.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems more like a lose/lose situation to me. You can undoubtedly achieve the same look with other products which don't attract anywhere near as much dust.
If it's oil base it going to attract dust..
Old 07-14-2006, 06:27 AM

There is nothing better than Honda brite (s100) to clean your car and engine bay. http://www.s100.com/
Old 07-15-2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by F1s2000,Jul 14 2006, 09:27 AM
There is nothing better than Honda brite (s100) to clean your car and engine bay. http://www.s100.com/
Really? You've tried every single engine cleaning product available?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just get a little irked when someone says something is "the best" or nothing is better than XYZ. There's just no way you can realistically say that because first you would have to had tested every single product out there and second because people look for different qualities in the products they buy so what is "best" to you may not be "best" to me.

If you want to say you really like this product and you like it so much because x, y, z that's great! I would love to know why you like this product so much and that kind of feedback is definitely very useful information which is a definite win for the wash & wax forum and it's readers.

Here's what I love to see more forum posters here write . . .

I really LOVE Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser for cleaning the engine bay. It's not the most powerful degreaser out, but it's got enough oomph to clean up most engine bays. It really seems to leave metal parts clean & bright. Plus, it does not grey or dull rubber & plastic parts at all. It is primarily sold in concentrated gallons for about $20 and it only takes a few ounces to mix up a 32 oz. bottle which makes it very economical.

Plus, these qualities make it great for cleaning wheel wells too!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Simple green and CD-2,
looks like this,what do you think???

Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jul 15 2006, 09:49 AM
Really? You've tried every single engine cleaning product available?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just get a little irked when someone says something is "the best" or nothing is better than XYZ. There's just no way you can realistically say that because first you would have to had tested every single product out there and second because people look for different qualities in the products they buy so what is "best" to you may not be "best" to me.

If you want to say you really like this product and you like it so much because x, y, z that's great! I would love to know why you like this product so much and that kind of feedback is definitely very useful information which is a definite win for the wash & wax forum and it's readers.

Here's what I love to see more forum posters here write . . .

I really LOVE Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser for cleaning the engine bay. It's not the most powerful degreaser out, but it's got enough oomph to clean up most engine bays. It really seems to leave metal parts clean & bright. Plus, it does not grey or dull rubber & plastic parts at all. It is primarily sold in concentrated gallons for about $20 and it only takes a few ounces to mix up a 32 oz. bottle which makes it very economical.

Plus, these qualities make it great for cleaning wheel wells too!
I won't use that bubble gum crap. Like it has a pretty bottle or it smells yummy. Or "It's not the most powerful degreaser out, but it's got enough oomph to clean up most engine bays". .............

What makes it "better" or the best is what s100 is actually made of and it is not a "D-Greaser".......... It doesn't have petroleum solvents (bad). It uses a water-based, environmentally friendly formula ( good). So if it gets on your paint it will not eat it like "D-Greaser" In fact you can wash you car with it.

Reading is good. Specially when you are buying cleaning products......
Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 AM

[QUOTE=F1s2000,Jul 17 2006, 09:19 AM] I won't use that bubble gum crap. Like it has a pretty bottle or it smells yummy. Or "It's not the most powerful degreaser out, but it's got enough oomph to clean up most engine bays".

Quick Reply: Engine cleaning-your thought's