S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Just another Zaino success story (Sebring silver)

Old 10-13-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another Zaino success story (Sebring silver)

I have had my Sebring/black S2k for about six days now, and today I finally got to try out the whole Zaino process. This is my first time to really ever detail a car, I haven't bothered with my past used cars beyond the occasional wax job. After hours and hours of reading this helpful forum, I bought a whole lot of goodies:

The equipment:

ZFX Accelerant
Z-2 Polish
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
Z-7 Car Wash
Z-18 claybar
Cotton Zaino applicator
Plastic Zaino mixing bottle
Plastic spray bottle
Microfiber wash mitt
Microfiber drying towel (Big Blue towel)
Microfiber detailing towels (Viper towels)

Started by washing the car with Dawn and the microfiber mitt. Got the bigger junk off, there was still some small stuff on the front and other areas. To be honest, my car wasn't TOO dirty to start with only having driven it for six days. Didn't bother to dry it off, since I wanted the car lubricated for the claybar process. I started with the claybar using a half capful of Z-7 and 12 ounces of water in the spray bottle as a lubricant. I actually had to make more lubrication solution to do the whole car, I sprayed a LOT while doing the claybar.

The claybar is awesome. I got so much crap off of the paint, it was incredible. I probably wound up using about three-fourths of one bar for the whole car, and it felt like glass afterward. I used the somewhat dirty clay on the wheels and exhaust tips at the end and got an incredible amount of gunk off that way. The whole claybar process probably took about an hour, but was well worth it.

I then quickly washed with Z-7 before drying with the big microfiber towel. I was going to try out my California water blade as well, but I left it at my house (did all of this at my parents' house since they have a nice big driveway and I don't!)

I then mixed 1/2 ounce of Z-2 with about 3 drops of ZFX in the mixing bottle, shook for about 90 seconds. Moistened the cotton applicator with Z-6 and then placed a few drops of Z-2/ZFX on the applicator and started on the hardtop. I know what everybody means now...it is really hard to tell if you are getting enough on there, and the temptation is to put a lot more on, but I resisted the temptation. Since it was a cloudy day, I could see that there was just barely a cloudy haze on the car. I did the rest of the car, including wheels. With the ZFX and it being a nice 70 degress, there was no wait time for the Z-2 to dry, so I then buffed it off with a microfiber detailing towel and it just came off so easy. It was effortless compared to carnauba wax. I then put Z-6 on the car with the microfiber towel, spraying the solution onto the towel and then wiping the car.

I did one more coat of Z-2/ZFX and finished with a last coat of Z-6. The total process:

Wash with Dawn
Claybar
Wash with Z-7
Dry
Polish with Z-2/ZFX
Spray on Z-6
Polish with Z-2/ZFX
Spray on Z-6

The whole process from start to finish took about five hours, but it was so worth it. I used to HATE waxing my old car, but once I got the hang of it I was having a lot of fun. I would have put another coat on, but it was getting too dark. Of the 1/2 ounce of Z-2, I still had enough left to do one more coat. That is just how little you should really use. I used isopropyl alcohol to clean out the mixing bottle and it worked like a charm.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you my experiences, this kind of also puts a lot of very helpful hints I've found across many, many threads into once place. The car looks absolutely gorgeous, I didn't have too high of expectations with a silver car as compared to black, but it is just stunning. I can easily see my reflection in it, and it is very cloudy today. I will try to have some pics soon, but it was too dark today to take any.

Many thanks to all of you on this forum, I never could have figured out all of these little details without your help!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:51 PM

wow, sounds like I need to get some of that stuff. I have used various meguairs stuff and I am happy with it, but if this is half of what you say it does, it sounds awsome! It too have a silver car and want it to be like a mirror. I want people to see my car and be like, d@mn his car is clean and good looking. Please posts some pics when you get a chance.

Edit:OOps I accidentaly hit the 1 on the vote thing. Sory
Old 10-13-2002, 11:17 PM

Sounds similar to my first Zaino experience last week. Just wait until it rains and the water just runs up the hood when you're driving. Or the reflections of the street lights at night. Amazing stuff.

potfish
Old 10-14-2002, 06:57 AM

I thought you needed the Z1 with the ZFX.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:34 AM

Nope, if you use the Z-2 with ZFX you don't need Z-1 at all.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:35 AM

Okay, here are some new pics I took after the two coats of Zaino:

Clean S2000

I wish my camera were a little bit better...silver is so hard to photograph well. Also, it was almost TOO sunny out, I think it actually shows off a little more gloss with a few clouds. I will try to take some more pictures after I put on another couple of coats next week.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Great work, secretvampire. Silver looks awesome with the hardtop!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:07 PM

Thanks! I have gotten so many comments from friends that the hardtop really completes the look of the car. I couldn't agree more!