S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

my how to clean your engine bay

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
Can I spray the painted parts of the engine bay?
Yes. CD-2 Engine Detailer
"CD-2 ENGINE DETAILER leaves plastic and rubber engine parts with a rich black luster and a lasting protective coating which guards against drying and cracking. ENGINE DETAILER protectes painted metal surfaces from rust and corrosion... Spray ENGINE DETAILER liberally on all engine compartment surffaces, including firewall, wheel wells, radiator, engine block and or/all metal, plastic, or rubber surfaces. Avoid spraying product directly into internal components of the alternator or wiring harness."

My 2 cents to this thread. It does not matter what degreaser/APC you use, I use Meg's APC+. It is well worth buying a gallon because of its interior cleaning properties will have the same effects in the engine bay

(Source: Autogeek forum, member astrogus)
Now engine detailer CD-2, is all you need for the engine bay. If you apply too much, your hoses and all will look very greasy.
My method is to spray it medium spray all over the engine bay avoiding the battery and altenator, let it sit for 2 minutes, and then take a microfiber and dab off excess and spread it around with light rubs, especially on the plastic lids of the fluids, the goal is to even it out and to spread it on the hoses where the spray didn't reach on its own and accumulated in certain parts too much.
I just did my s2000 for the 2nd time yesterday since my battery died and I was installing a new one and my parents rav4 as a fathers day gift today.
My whole process is to spray with apc, brush it to agitate the grime/dust/dirt which I use a 98 cent ikea dishwashing brush, avoid the altenator/battery, and once half the engine bay is done I start spraying down what I've done because the APC already is drying. The APC basically removes the dirt on the engine bay paint so its easy to get areas you can't reach with a brush. I don't cover anything, to deal with the battery and altenator, I mist the APC off near it with a light spray from a nozzle and barely get any water on either of the two. Once all the APC is done, I dry the engine bay with 2 junk microfibers (bulk costco, dedicated to door jambs, wheels, exhaust, and engine bay) which removes remaining dirt and water. I then spray the CD-2, avoiding the alternator/battery and do the process I described above. To finish it off, I spray the microfiber I used to spread the product with a bit of CD-2, and then safely apply it to the battery area to remove dirt avoiding the connectors.
To finish I just leave the hood up for an hour and let it soak in and dry. I hate wasting gas by starting the engine up
The following users liked this post:
NEWTON WILLIAMS (01-05-2023)
Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Pics:
7 pics: http://imageshack.us/g/191/dsc02793oi.jpg/
MY07 Toyota Rav4

MY04 Honda s2000

The rav4's battery could of used more attention, but I'm not too worried about a dirty battery, especially on a rav4 , my dad travels in the country area of East Texas every weekend 110 miles out and 110 back not caring about bugs, so as a present I detail the car as a present for Christmas or when I can and the engine bay has never been washed in 60k miles and 4.5 years. Anyways, note how it hasn't been touched by water, I wiped down the side of the battery holder and the top with a microfiber with a bit of CD-2 Sprayed on it and misted the area around it to remove the APC+ and dirt. I did rush on my s2000 because I was putting in the battery before I went to work, rolled the dead car out of my garage into the driveway to take advantage of getting the battery area clean while it was out.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Bexiga, that is looking real clean, very nice, like new condition. We've got to swap out that brake and clutch fluid this spring though, it's looking too dark.

I've got mine cleaned up a good bit compared to how it was a few months ago. My car had lots of dealer installed rustproofing in the engine bay. I'm keeping the rustproofing on the lower vertical sections and the firewall even though it looks crappy. I've been working on cleaning up the upper sections horizontal areas. It still needs a bit of work but it' getting there. I've only used Spray Nine cleaner and 303 Aero protectant. I'm going to give all rubber hoses a good coating of 303 Aero to finish them up.

been trying to find something good to detail the bay with, i used some armorallwipes and may have done better by using spray instead, but i looked up the 303 stuff and was wondering which kind you used i found about 6 different applications for it. i want the valve cover and everything to really shine, and i didnt quite get that out of the armorall, thanx
Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks! good right up!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brockd1289
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1297736668' post='20253477
Bexiga, that is looking real clean, very nice, like new condition. We've got to swap out that brake and clutch fluid this spring though, it's looking too dark.

I've got mine cleaned up a good bit compared to how it was a few months ago. My car had lots of dealer installed rustproofing in the engine bay. I'm keeping the rustproofing on the lower vertical sections and the firewall even though it looks crappy. I've been working on cleaning up the upper sections horizontal areas. It still needs a bit of work but it' getting there. I've only used Spray Nine cleaner and 303 Aero protectant. I'm going to give all rubber hoses a good coating of 303 Aero to finish them up.

been trying to find something good to detail the bay with, i used some armorallwipes and may have done better by using spray instead, but i looked up the 303 stuff and was wondering which kind you used i found about 6 different applications for it. i want the valve cover and everything to really shine, and i didnt quite get that out of the armorall, thanx
Armor All is known to have silicone in it which will break down stuff like your dash with time. So I've learned it that way. Satay away from Armor All like the devil it is. http://www.armorall.com/faq/interior.php#answer8
What are the ingredients in Armor All® Protectants? Do they include silicone, alcohol, ultraviolet inhibitors and petroleum distillates?
Armor All® Leather Care contains lanolin and natural moisturizers, and UV inhibitors. Armor All® Leather Care Protectant Spray and Leather Wipes contain water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors. Armor All® Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors, humectants, dispersants and gloss enhancers. Armor All® Ultimate Clean Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, ultraviolet light inhibitors and a fragrance.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For everybody's information, it appears that CD2 Engine Detailer has been discontinued by Turtle Wax (yet once again).

Possible substitutes: Stoner Trim Shine, Pig Spit, Megs' Hyper-Dressing, 303 Protectant.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks!!

Maybe they will be going on clearance sales every where! Will check my local stores
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a full can. what will it be worth ?? haha
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 AM

"Someone recently observed that CD-2 Engine Detailer was no longer available at the Turtle Wax website, so I emailed them and today received an email confirming that the product has been discontinued. My engine detailing is limited to my two vehicles, so I do not have a lot of experience; but I have been very pleased with the results I have gotten from the product and am sorry to see it discontinued. "
Yeah just stock up, I'll probably just move on to Meg's Hyper dressing when I run out of CD-2 in 2 years.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, local stores have plenty in stock still

Quick Reply: my how to clean your engine bay