S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

need some expertise....how to properly clean engine bay?

Old 04-06-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silly question....do you need to cover the alternator when spraying off engine?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

you know, I'd love a pic of the engine bay showing which bits to cover, not been at all technically minded when it comes to under the hood
Old 04-07-2004, 06:51 AM

anyone have some info for us? (umhum....wanabe )
Old 04-07-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never covered components in a "modern" car. Don't spray directly into the Alternator or directly AT the fuseblock or the distributor.

Just use common sense, you don't want to power spray the electronic components but think about it, your engine bay is designed to operate while being sprayed down occasionally. All those components in there are able to withstand day to day driving some of that involving pouring rain (which gets well circulated into your engine bay believe me)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:14 AM

your right...I was thinking about rain and how it circulates through there on it's own and doesn't harm anything....I guess I just wanted to double check with you all here...like you said common sense...don't use a hard spray on something that you think might be harmed by doing so.......I have gathered up so many detailing items over this winter and cannot wait to get started....I have bought [i]so many things[i] for my much anticipated detailing endeavor ...unfortunately the weather around here still bites .......oh well..soon enough! thanks for the info everyone
Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I cleaned mine with Simple Green a couple weeks ago. Just went outside to see if it was still good, and it is.

Just sprayed simple green everywhere (lightly on the fuse box, and anywhere I could see wiring). Let it sit for 5 minutes, and then hosed it off with a very light mist from the nozzle. Wiped it all dry and was very impressed. Next is to treat the hoses with 303 or any decent rubber/vinyl protectant.

Make sure the motor is cold before starting this job!

Piece of cake
Old 04-07-2004, 08:48 AM

watch out for simple green!!!!!!

Can't find the post, but someone who worked with the millitary expalined why they can't use it on aluminum anymore. It had to do with it being corrosive to Al. I had a Accord that I used to use that stuff on, and allways wondered why the intake manifold/ head would look wierd a couple days after doing it.

Just a heads up
Old 04-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ninegrand
watch out for simple green!!!!!!

Can't find the post, but someone who worked with the millitary expalined why they can't use it on aluminum anymore. It had to do with it being corrosive to Al. I had a Accord that I used to use that stuff on, and allways wondered why the intake manifold/ head would look wierd a couple days after doing it.

Just a heads up
Uh-oh. We better get some more expert opinions. I did it off another owner's suggestion, and I also read other's doing it here too. Do we have aluminum components? Besides the hood (which I did not need to spray), I think we have other materials than aluminum. Could be wrong though.

Anyone offer up an educated opinion?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM

um, just about most of the engine.

Not trying to say it's a terrible thing to do, but offer the advice I found from what seemed to be a site member who knew what he was talking about.

I'll try to do some more digging to find that post.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM

what would you all recommend then? what about diluted simple green?

Quick Reply: need some expertise....how to properly clean engine bay?