S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

"?"Question about rock chips...

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They say a buffer can be used to level off the paint. Would a DA like a PC work too, or does it have to be a rotary buffer?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by shotiable,May 28 2007, 11:30 AM
didn't emil do his car already?
Got around to do it ,today.
Not overly impressed,with the product.
Of course,I knew,miracles don't come in a bottle.
The kit,simply consist,of a bottle of touch-up paint,and a bottle of polishing coumpond,+plastic gloves,a small paint brush,and a few Q-tips.

The NFR is not a perfect match,(too much orange...)
What you do,is polish first with the coumpond,put 2,-3 drops of paint on a blue rag,and rub it on the surface,let it dry 4 - 5 seconds,and remove the excess,again,with the coumpond.
It works on very small chips,(like sand blast chips,)but on bigger rock chips,(I had a couple,about the size of a pencil tip,,,)you have to use the small paintbrush,or a Q-tip.
I makes a "blob"that you can remove with the coumpond,after waiting a couple of minutes,for the paint to dry,but doing so,you also rub-off the paint;so, in the chip,so,it reappears.

Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM

looking forward to the pics
Old 06-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Pics,as promised:

Rock chip:

2 drops of colorfill,on a blue ragsupplied...)

Apllied to chips:

After compoundsupplied...)

Best method;paint brushsupplied...)

Done:
Old 07-07-2007, 04:38 PM

just want to bring this topic back up again. I just bought touchup 123 and hopefully it'll come out as good as Emil..
Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 PM

I didn't have much luck with it. I tried it in various spots on my wife's black SUV (since traded in - sorry no picts). The theory sounds good, clean the area, apply the "paint" and clean off the excess. Problem is, I could find no good way to keep from pulling the paint out of the area you want it to stay, but get it off of everywhere else. And if you apply the colorfill as liberally as the instructions suggest, good luck getting it off without spending all day rubbing!

I tried -
Wiping off almost immediately
Letting it sit for various lengths of time
Appying with the brush, qtip, and the towel they supply
Using different types of towels/cloths/pads to remove

In a few spots, the results were fine with good concealment, but I could not figure out, other than dumb luck, why it covered and stuck in some spots and not others.

I really wanted this to work, but as I said, the more of the compound you use to get it off the "good" areas or the harder/more you rub, the greater the probability of cleaning the paint out of the chip too. I got the best results from using the artist's brush and applying it in a very focused area to minimize the amount of removal needed. This is almost opposite of what they suggest.

I think for most chips you could do as well with a little patience, a very fine brush and applying very small layers of standard issue touch-up paint.

Since I have everything else in the kit left over, depending how much it is, I may try just getting the colorfill for my Rio and trying again. Black is very tough to fix, my car might work better since I only have a handful of very specific small chips in the front end. I'll post picts this time if I end up giving it another shot.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM

That's too bad..i'm still waitin for my kit to arrive. It's been a week, how long does it take yours for ground ship?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Jul 13 2007, 01:02 PM
That's too bad..i'm still waitin for my kit to arrive. It's been a week, how long does it take yours for ground ship?
You should have it in a couple days, I don't recall it taking unusually long. Be positive, you may have better results than me. As I said, my wife's car was black and whatever primer they used was practically white. Every chip stood out alot.

Again, the key is not coverage of the chip, but getting the colorfil off the rest of the car while leaving it in/on the chip or blemish. Good luck and post your results!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten my kit for an 01 silverstone. Personally I think this kit is a WASTE OF MONEY.

The color was way off. Way too dark. It's definitely NOT as advertised as "put it on and off like wax". That is a load of cow dung.

The FTC just takes off the paint that fills in the chips. If you're lucky, you might get a good color match and you could "conceal" the chip, but it's not going away.

The company protects itself with it's policy stating that paint color matching is NOT guaranteed and that used products can NOT be returned.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM

agree with the poster above; after spending a couple of hours just trying to cover very very light rock chips....this stuff is probably 20% effective 80% ineffective.

if anyone has a really good experience, please do tell how you went about it. I followed the instructions, but was still very frustrated after numerous attempts.