S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Synthetic Chamois or true chamois

Old 05-22-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I could wait no longer, I have just returned from testing The Absorber, and..............
Blimey, its good, much, much quicker than my old leather chamois it seems to act more like a squeegee and pull the water off until you realise that the water isn't running anywhere its being (duh!) Absorb'd.
Its not cheap, it was
Old 05-22-2001, 03:45 PM

I strongly recommend Meguiars as well ...
Old 05-23-2001, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by jsyellow
I found this synthic unit called "The Absorber" ... you can pick it up at the local Wal-mart
Hey, jsyellow -- I think I saw it in my local Wal-Mart as well. Did it come rolled up in a translucent canister, wrapped in celophane?

Made in Japan where they do things right.
Wouldn't that be a lynch-me call down there in Louisville?
Old 05-23-2001, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The California Car Duster is a yarn contraption with some kind of wax or something in it. It works so well that I don't ask questions! When your car gets dusty, you simply run it over the car, and it picks up the dust (kind of like dusting your furniture), saving you a hand washing; however, this doesn't work if the dust got wet.

I highly recommend it...
Old 06-03-2001, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a contrarian's view:
i have several chamoises and several synthetics (including the absorber- i own two of these).
i find that (for a black car) the chamois is the only drying material that really removes ALL water. the absorber is a close second place... but on a black car second is not good enough. the absorber leaves very small (pen point sized) drops of water all over the car. they usually dry with minimal residue, but the chamois dries with no residue.
i do use the water blade before any material on the car...
my vote is for the old-fashioned leather!
Old 06-03-2001, 04:52 PM

Another thumbs up for the absorber. Just got one last week and its better then anything I have tried yet. I thought it was better then my leather.

However, on the sides where it can not be dragged off it can still leave some very small drops/streaks. These get wiped up on the second time around with a micro cloth and some meguire's spray polish.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:24 PM

I tend to agree with wanabe. The Absorber does an excellent job of taking the water off (and you don't have to keep wringing it out), but it may leave microscopic beads of water. That's O.K. if you're doing this on a hot day (when they'll evaporate almost immediately), but if there's humidity in the air, these minute drops will take longer to dry. Most of the time, I do a large area with the Absorber, and then go over the area with a dry chamois immediately afterwards. It comes up perfect every time! You can do the whole car this way, during which time you will proably wring the Absorber out only two or three times, but, because there'll be so little water left, you probably won't need to wring out the chamois at all.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:47 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Somewhere along the line, I thought I had read that a chamois will also take wax off if used? Any truth to that? I have been using a chamois on my S2000, and an Absorber on my Integra.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:48 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sondra S2K
[B]The California Car Duster is a yarn contraption with some kind of wax or something in it.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:10 PM

I use a synthetic chamois called the "Water Sprite." I believe it is similar to the "Absorber." Packaging is exact.

I have found to get the car truely dry I need to frequently wring out the water. This thing soaks it up sooo nicely. It is very effecient, but there is no way I could dry my car in three minutes. I spend too much time rinsing wringing out the chamois.

Oh, by the way, I use the Sprite on the top 80% of my car, and use a cotton towell to do the lower bumper, rocker panels, door sils and inside of the trunk. I don't want to risk getting a missed piece of dirt stuck in my chamois then running it over the rest of my car.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Chamois or true chamois