S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Use of 303

Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use of 303

I am one of those who uses 303 on vinyl, plastic, leather, and convertible tops. I have recently discovered something that some of you may know, but some may not.

When using this product, do not just wipe it on and wipe it off. Rather apply it generioulsy and smooth it with a piece of foam or similar applicator. Allow it to soak for 15 minutes or more. Then wipe with a cotton or microfiber cloth.

If allowed to set wet for a time, this stuff seems to really soak in to all these materials. And when wiped off after the waiting period, really leaves a non greasy but shiny finish. It looks rather like that horrible Armorall, but is dry to the touch, and won't do the eventual damage Armorall will.

If you already know this, please disregard this post. But if (like me) you haven't been aware of this, give it a try.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-31-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

As soon as I got my car, I put a clearbra on it, then zaino'd it, then used 303 all over the top. 303 has UV protection init.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:49 AM

Tommy:

It sure does! And the best way to apply it to the top is to do so in he evening, apply it gnerously and smooth it out with a foam applicatior and not worry about the "white look" it may give in some areas, and go to bed. In the morning, it will be soaked in, the top will be perfectly black, and it will be well protected.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that 303 should not be used on leather... so you might want to rethink using it in the future. Hopefully someone can back me up on this...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM

Well, I can't speak for "truth in labeling" and all that but part of the language on the back of the 303 container states "AUTOMOTIVE - For use on vinyl and LEATHER interiors" (emphasis supplied.) I also belong to the Mercedes Benz Club, and a lot of guys there, including some nationally recognized restorers, swear by the stuff for leather. But if anybody knows of a reason to avoid it on leather, Id also be eager to hear it. 303 contains no silicones or any other "bad stuff", and does block UV rays that can be so disastrous to leather.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-02-2005, 09:08 AM

You could be right, but I was under the impression that 303 was pretty much for plastics, vinyl, and rubber. In fact, I thought I had read on this forum that 303 shouldn't be used on leather. I've never used 303 myself. I use vinylex for the top, dash, etc. and have a leather cleaner and conditioner I use for the seats.

I hope someone else chimes in here because I certainly don't want to give incorrect info. I'm going to do some searching too to see what I can find on the subject.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have heard guys using 303 on leather...
i never have because there are such good leather products out there (lexol or townsends are my favorites).

i will try to track down our leather expert to get his input- i know he is sometimes a bit slow in responding, depending on his work schedule.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks wanabe. I certainly don't want to give out incorrect info... and it would be nice to know for future use when my stash of vinylex runs out. With all the rave reviews I'll probably give 303 a shot.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM

Here is a good example of truth in labeling...we saw a product which will remain nameless that came from a very reputable company or so we thought. They claimed it was a leather cleaner...not for vinyl, not for anything else, just leather. So we began our testing because our customers were asking about its effectiveness.

Our results were astonishing to say the least. The pH of a good leather cleaner is around 4.5 to 5.5, this cleaner had a pH of 10.5-11. Basically a few good cleanings of your leather and you would probably be able to just throw it in the trash. It was soo bad, that it even stripped off some of the finish on the leather, while it weakened the fibers. End result, leather that looks like hell and weak as a single sheet of paper (torn between two fingers).

I have used 303 on my top and it worked out pretty well, what I noticed was the grease/oil/whatever residue that began to run off of it when it rained. I then decided to play with it a little bit on a piece of leather and I seriously disliked the results. Personally, I would NEVER put it on my leather seats. I would rather not condition it at all than use this stuff.

Stick with the stuff thats proven time and time again. Being that I have seen long terms results of using bad stuff on leather, I would pay the $15.00 for the right stuff.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Aug 2 2005, 01:48 PM
Here is a good example of truth in labeling...we saw a product which will remain nameless that came from a very reputable company or so we thought. They claimed it was a leather cleaner...not for vinyl, not for anything else, just leather. So we began our testing because our customers were asking about its effectiveness.

Our results were astonishing to say the least. The pH of a good leather cleaner is around 4.5 to 5.5, this cleaner had a pH of 10.5-11. Basically a few good cleanings of your leather and you would probably be able to just throw it in the trash. It was soo bad, that it even stripped off some of the finish on the leather, while it weakened the fibers. End result, leather that looks like hell and weak as a single sheet of paper (torn between two fingers).
I'd sure like to know what product that is. I'm probably using it right now.

Quick Reply: Use of 303