S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Will Wool Bonnet Help Increase Shine for S.S. S2K

Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts
Default Will Wool Bonnet Help Increase Shine for S.S. S2K

I've got a Sebring Silver S2K and I find that this colour doesn't seem to shine as much as say some darker colours, on the otherhand it doesn't look as bad when dirty either.

I have a Porter Cable and I was wondering if using a wool bonnet would help bring up the shine when polishing. So far I've claybar'd it, did a mild polish, and applied a sealant. While it looks much nicer than when I started I'm wondering if using a wool bonnet would help. I see them advertised on some supplier sites but I'm not sure if they're worthwhile. Thus far I've only used white foam pads on the the polishing application with my PC which came with the machine, I don't have too many swirls or scratches on the car so I've gone with a mild setup thus far. Thanks for any replies on this.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFUSION, I would not get the wool bonnet, your paint is in good shape and does not require such an aggresive pad. If I were you, I would order some Adams Swirl and Haze Remover and some Fine Machine polish. This stuff works awesome for paint correction. As far as pads go, I would go with LC orange, and white pads. Orange pad would be used with the Swirl and Haze, the White pad would be used with the Fine machine polish. You can top it off with a good quality wax applied by hand.
Nelson
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bexiga,Jan 24 2011, 10:14 AM
JFUSION, I would not get the wool bonnet, your paint is in good shape and does not require such an aggresive pad. If I were you, I would order some Adams Swirl and Haze Remover and some Fine Machine polish. This stuff works awesome for paint correction. As far as pads go, I would go with LC orange, and white pads. Orange pad would be used with the Swirl and Haze, the White pad would be used with the Fine machine polish. You can top it off with a good quality wax applied by hand.
Nelson
thanks Bro, I definitely need some more pads, I'll look into those for sure. Thanks for the tips on the products, I think the Meguiars polish I used wasn't aggresive enough. I'm putting together a shopping list, let me know if you want to use the PC sometime.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Oh yes, I forgot the Meguiars ! I used some Megs Ultimate Compound on my cousins S last year, It did a good job of getting rid of swirls/scratches. Keep in mind that I was using a buffer from Crappytire, I'm asumming it would work really good if used with a PC and some good Quality foam pads. Adams is putting on a show in Woodstock this Sunday from 10-2 pm. They will have many of there products there. Let me know if your interested, I'll give you the address if you want. I'm thinking about going myself.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bexiga,Jan 24 2011, 02:32 PM
Oh yes, I forgot the Meguiars ! I used some Megs Ultimate Compound on my cousins S last year, It did a good job of getting rid of swirls/scratches. Keep in mind that I was using a buffer from Crappytire, I'm asumming it would work really good if used with a PC and some good Quality foam pads. Adams is putting on a show in Woodstock this Sunday from 10-2 pm. They will have many of there products there. Let me know if your interested, I'll give you the address if you want. I'm thinking about going myself.
Seriously, wow that sounds like a cool time, I'd love to go but I'm going to be in Frankenmuth , Michigan, we were supposed to go there 2 weeks ago but got snowed out. I'd rather end up in Woodstock but I'm committed to this trip on Saturday and Sunday.

The Meguiars polish I used was very mild, much milder than the one you listed, I should have gone a tad bit more aggressive with better pads, my white pads weren't enough, but I'm looking much better than one year ago, so I got a good base to work from.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM

As what's already been said above, I'd avoid using any really abrasive pads on your car. Could instill marring, and that'd be a real pain to buff out. It sounds like you've got it looking nice already!

I don't have much experience with Meguiar's polishes, unfortunately, but I've had great luck on my own cars with Menzerna products, specifically their Power Finish polish and their Micro Polish (PO85RD). They give the paint a real gleam:

Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by pearl_s2k,Jan 24 2011, 10:12 PM
As what's already been said above, I'd avoid using any really abrasive pads on your car. Could instill marring, and that'd be a real pain to buff out. It sounds like you've got it looking nice already!

I don't have much experience with Meguiar's polishes, unfortunately, but I've had great luck on my own cars with Menzerna products, specifically their Power Finish polish and their Micro Polish (PO85RD). They give the paint a real gleam:

wow, that does have some nice shine to it, nice job, and nice colour. Those products obviously worked well with you. I'll look into them as well.