S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Tell me what I need to know, Dave!

Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyra
Haven't posted for awhile but this caught my attention. Places I've visited and would recommend in the UP. We live in Northern WI
Shipwreck Museum, Paradise, MI and State Parks in this area.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Porcupine Mountains
Ottawa National Forest, toward Watersmeet, MI area. We get here often to visit the many waterfalls. Only about 50 miles from us.
The UP will keep you busy just because of far you have to travel. If you ever get the chance to venture into WI make sure you go to Bayfield.
+1

We live in northern Illinois but Michigan is a favorite destination for us. Upper Peninsula destinations we like include: Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (kayaking tours and tour boat tours), and I second the Porcupine Mountains, Shipwreck Museum and Bayfield (Apostle Islands National Lakeshore). If you have the time, Mackinac Island State Park, by the straits between the UP and Lower Peninsula is great fun. The Traverse City area farther south is good too, including the Leelanau Peninsula which has some nice driving roads.

Just curious...Lainey, I saw your avatar. Do you live near or visit Hatteras often? We've been going there on and off since the mid '60's.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 01-30-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM

^
Thanks for the info. We live in MA about an hour south east of Boston. We made our first trip to the Outer Banks last fall. Really enjoyed the area. I like to take . The camera got a workout. Here's a pic I took inside Bodie. It's hanging in my kitchen.

Last edited by Lainey; 01-30-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
Thanks for the info. We live in MA about an hour south east of Boston. We made our first trip to the Outer Banks last fall. Really enjoyed the area. I like to take . The camera got a workout. Here's a pic I took inside Bodie. It's hanging in my kitchen.
That's a neat photo! Not to hijack the thread, but a couple of things about the Outer Banks...we always go farther south, usually to Frisco to enjoy our stay. It's less built up, less crowded than farther north, especially around Nags Head. I can easily recall going down to Buxton near Frisco as a kid when we would camp instead of rent a house for our vacation. Back then there were very few if any "McMansions" around, and one night when we arrived we were turned away at the Buxton campground because it was full! The last time I was there, this same large campground was nearly deserted. And people flew kites, both in the campground and at the beach, lots of kites. There was frequently a squadron of them patrolling the skies over our trailer. To be sure, it's more comfortable to stay in a nice rental house, but I miss the adventures of camping there.

We visited Cape Cod a few years back, staying at a couple of Youth Hostels and renting bicycles to ride around the central portion of the cape. We had a lot of fun, but the water was too cold! You must live near a lot of good driving roads. Where I live is a driver's wasteland...you have to drive to southern Wisconsin or over to Michigan to find any roads of interest.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:40 AM

Not to worry about a hijack....I love the directions threads can take.

The water on the Cape (National Seashore) is cold once you get past Hyannis.MA Our area has warmer water. As far as driving roads, we aren't in any of the twisty areas, but it's pretty here. Lots of old farms, stone walls, etc. BUT speed limits of 35-40. Still we enjoy enjoy cruising and may ignore those speed limit signs just a tad. The western part of the state has some better roads.