Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Freddy's Spa Yellow S2000

Old 12-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Freddy's Spa Yellow S2000

Mod List (updated 03/2023):

Engine/Drivetrain:
  • JDM spec F20C
  • 211whp/136wtq
  • K&N intake cone
  • Tomei titanium test pipe
  • ACT HD Pressure Plate
  • Billman GenX TCT
  • EVS Tuning 70-SSP exhaust
  • Haltech Platinum Plug and Play
  • AEM style intake
Suspension/Chassis:
  • Mugen engine and transmission mounts
  • 13/11k Sakebombgarage sport spec Ohlins DFV + Lowering cups
  • Karcepts adjustable front and rear swaybars
  • TC105X 17x9.5 + 45 on 255 Falken RT660s
  • Megan Racing rear toes arms
  • Spoon subframe collars
  • 2615lb with half tank
  • Hawk DTC60 front
  • Hawk HP+ rear
  • Stoptech Trophy kit
  • Js Racing S2 camber joints
  • Rockstargarage tow hook
  • EVS Axle Spacer
  • Blox 20mm Steering Rack Spacer
Exterior:
  • Rockstar Garage Carbon OE Style Hardtop
  • OEM CR lip
  • 1550mm Vortex Type 7 by RG-O
  • OEM CR Trunk lid
  • Rolled and pull front fenders (10mm)
  • AP2 style tailights
  • 20% tints
  • Rival Machine Honda Tribute Emblems

Interior:
  • JVC KD-X370BTS Headunit(Deleted)
  • JVC CS-DR621 Door speakers(Deleted)
  • Sparco 015TRGS1TUV Suede Steering Wheel
  • Works Bell steering wheel boss
  • OEM soft top delete
  • Mugen MS-R on Recaro Japan Rails
  • Hardtop Race Brackets
  • OEM titanium shift knob

Since the S2000 has been put away for the winter, I been on this forum more and more to deal with missing it so much. I've been taking a lot of inspiration from the builds on this board and really admire the attention to detail some of you guys have, so I decided its time and give a little back by sharing my journey.

In the summer of 2017 I decided to take a break from school. I drove a 2004 Corolla 6 speed, but had been day dreaming about next car for months. Some days I wanted a GTI, a Mini Cooper or 135i depending on what side of the bed I woke up, until the S2000 FOUND ME. GPW AP2, on bronze TE37s approaching my way around 15 MPH, but time might as well have stopped... It left me struck, and I was all in. The AP1 I felt was the right car for me because it had the quicker steering, higher revving engine and the sharper handling(sight), although I like the AP2 styling more.

March 2018
I bought a 2002 NFR with some lowering springs and an HKS dual exhaust on it from a dealership in North of Chicago. The car was everything that I've ever wanted in a sports car and more... The visceral feeling from the responsive feeling, down to the throttle response, up the gear lever shaking left me in awe. In the following months I took care of some maintenance items that the car needed care for, like driver side rear wheel bearing, and a clutch fluid flush, etc. I really got to fall in love with this car, and everyone complemented the car, and the sounds from the HKS was magical on the switch to VTEC under an overpass.

May 2018
I took the car out for an spirited drive, got caught on a sudden downpour and loss control of the car coming into a ramp. The car was totaled, my ego was crushed and had no car for about a month, on top of that I got a ticket for rear tires being being almost slick on wear.

June 2018
On my birthday, my roommate drove me 7 hours to PA to pick up the 2002 Spa Yellow. It was higher mileage, but the body looked flawless and all the pre-buying inspection items looked checked out, including 210-220 compression and good leak down numbers. and so I bought it and started enjoying it.

August 2018
The goal was to drive it for a year in stock form and attend Autocross events to get comfortable with the handling so I don't wreck it again. Soon after I was face with the biggest issue that plague AP1s and that is burning excessive amount of oil... about a quart every 300 miles. I scheduled an appointment with Billman250 to take a look at this, but had some troubles financially meaning the S needed to wait and just do with adding oil.

March 2019
I said enough with stock look and went for the look I've always wanted. I rolled the fenders, and pulled the trigger on a set of TC105x 17x9.5 +45 and wrapped them on RE71R's. I couldn't afford much higher end suspension, so I went for the Tein Flex Z coilovers. In comparison to OEM suspension, the Teins is downgrade as far as shock valving. I didn't realize how well the the stock shocks do on heavy bumps, getting the tires back on the surface on rebound.

October 2019
I finally got around saving for daily driver so that I can put the S away and not have to daily drive it again. To be frank, daily driving the S was starting to get old in terms that it was losing its uniqueness, so getting a daily commuter was breath of fresh air. For the remainder month I drove the s2k on nice days, the car gave me those feelings I had on day one. I now see this as an opportunity to really be detailed about modifications I do the car because I don't have to rush to put the car together to make it on time to work.

Last edited by freddydela; 05-07-2024 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling, format
Old 12-21-2019, 06:20 AM

Received 426 Likes on 320 Posts

Did you ever fix the oil burning? The $3000ish in wheels/tires/coilovers could have gone a long way in doing so.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Did you ever fix the oil burning? The $3000ish in wheels/tires/coilovers could have gone a long way in doing so.
$3,000 is a good estimate on what I spent. The car is still burning oil, not less, not more. In the winter months I learned how to just live with it and it just became part of the ownership. I were supposed to come down again to come see Billman this last summer to get to the bottom of things but I had a change of career and money became tight again. It is on my priority list to get done this coming Spring because I want to start adding power, and doesn't make sense to do that with an I'll engine.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Installed these AP2 Style tail lights. They are designed to fit on the AP1 without bodywork modifications. The seller claims Plug and Play, but it does require some re wiring.

More on it here... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...179230/page10/

Last edited by freddydela; 12-29-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added link to AP2 Style tail lights
Old 01-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

You should return the lights. You received an old model which had rever polarity for the turn signals, and they have an issue where the reflector ring pops. This was a problem only known with the Ap1 model.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
You should return the lights. You received an old model which had rever polarity for the turn signals, and they have an issue where the reflector ring pops. This was a problem only known with the Ap1 model.
That's a bummer. I've already out the time and money to make them work. I cut the wires, do you think they'll accept them? And who sells newer models?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM

Time for an update,

I wanted to mention my goals with the car so that these mods can make some sense to you guys. I would like this to be street car that can also be capable at the track.

OMP 330mm & Works Bell Hub.

It looks like the the airbag resistors supplied aren't compatible with the car(AP1?). I have to figure out the horn button installation to make it work, but I'm not to worry. I was under the impression that it was going to be plug and play, but of course as with most car modification is never plug and play I've learned.

HKS Hi Power Single

Had the dual on my NFR and freaking loved. I went with the single this time because it's lighter.

RSG Gears Lip

Not really sold on whether I love it or not. Hopefully it grows on me with time.

A few other notes I want to add: Getting the car ready to get paint corrected and apply ceramic coating. I'm also searching for a 200TW tire to replace my current ones. It'll most likely be RS4 or N Fera Sur4g, as these have the best life out of the group and I'm mainly looking for that. RS4 is my top choice but 255 aren't available until mid March.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:23 AM

Time for a February update,

It's been a crazy month... My daily driver got stolen and I was rushed put the S back together in a few hours, I got the car back later that night so that is double good news haha. I can still rely on my daily and start having fun in the sportscar.

Smoked Headlight Diffuser.

Went over onto JS2K.com and ordered myself a set of smoked diffusers. I'm a little skeptical about this mod as I'm not one to do things to my car has no benefit or purpose, but I've always felt that the amber on the AP1 is somewhat out of place.

Other than that I just went ahead and put the car together, and the weather turned out to be pretty nice actually in the northeast for maximum enjoyment. Speaking of enjoyment, man... the HKS exhaust is just a gem imo. If you don't mind being loud and can tolerate the drone, there is nothing that sounds quite like it on a 4 cylinder. It really sounds like it means business... A few days later I installed the RSG lip and was impressed with the look on the car, but not impressed with the fitment but that might have more to do with me not being competent with that kind of stuff, so I'm having a bodyshop take a look at it in a few days.

The car is getting new tires as well. Falken 615k+. I debated this for a while as I'm looking mainly for tread life in the 200TW segment. The winner is the RS4 but those aren't available until April, and I have a 1,000 mile round trip NYC and the Bridgestones are showing the cords in the inside shoulders.

This brings me to the final point, which I'm going to see Billman250 mid next month to have the car checked out. Its such an honor to get to have someone of his pedigree work on my car. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of why the F20C is burning so much oil.

Last edited by freddydela; 02-26-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 AM

Side note,last year when I first lowered the car I went over my driveway with the steering wheel full lock and caught my fender not knowing any better. I hammered it back and didn't look that bad, but the place I took the car to have the fenders flared absolutely mutilated the car.

I wanted to get them fixed with OEM lines and repainted, but I also want to lower the car about 1/4 inch. I'm not sure how some of the guys around here are running such aggressive setups without catching your fenders.

Last edited by freddydela; 02-26-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

It looks like your wheel set up is decently aggressive up front. I just scrolled up and read that you're running a 17x9.5 +45 all around, personally I'm running a 17x9.5 +47 with a 255 RS4 and have no problems clearing the front fenders. I did this by running the Origin Fabrication offset bushings. They pull the upper control arms in about 8mm. So the top of the wheel is pulled under the fender, and you can dial out the additional camber with the OEM adjustments. Really the only downsides are the least amount of camber you can get in the front is -1.5 and you wont be able to run a high offset wheel up front without it rubbing on the inside of the car.

I recommend for everyone who is running a wheel set up similar to this to give the bushings a shot. They are hands down the best solution to this problem, and it pulls in the front wheel enough that a non-staggered set up looks at home on an S2000 instead of the front wheel bulging past/against the fender. I don't want to blow up your build thread with a ton of pictures of my car but here is a picture with a before and after of the bushing install and how it changed the wheel fitment. If you want to see more pictures from other angles check out my thread.

Originally Posted by freddydela
A few days later I installed the RSG lip and was impressed with look on the car, but not impressed with the fitment but that might have more to do with me not being competent with that kind of stuff, so I'm having a bodyshop take a look at it in a few days.
I see this with these lips fairly often, they are polyurethane and don't really have any places where the lip mounts against the vertical plane of the bumper. It's a similar problem that most of the replica OEM AP1 lips have. I would try and add some 3M tape to the flat portions that tuck into the faux vents, and then try and figure out a way to support the center.

Quick Reply: Freddy's Spa Yellow S2000