Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Expiration notification?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Expiration notification?

Greetings admins. I was wondering if the site has yet instituted notification of pending expiration of membership? If my membership expires before I renew, will I lose all my potographs that I have uploaded?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Not yet.

No you won't lose anything.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This has been an ongoing request for the almost 4 years that I have been around. I don't know how hard it is to institute such a feature but it doesn't seem that difficult and would make it alot less traumatic for the membership.

As of right now, I'd rather have them fix the site first. I'm getting more than frustrated with all the dropped posts.....page not founds....and f'ed up fonts for too many days.

I'm ready to pay for another membership but can't see paying for the site the way it is now.

I know, I know....you guys are working on it and frustrated with the complaints, but this IS the forum section for our comments. So FIX IT - pppplllleeeeeaaaaassssseeee!!!!

-Hockey
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Hochbrueckner,

we are doing our best to get these features up and running...please be patient or you'll get a kick in the NUTZ.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Sep 24 2007, 08:00 PM
Mr. Hochbrueckner,

we are doing our best to get these features up and running...please be patient or you'll get a kick in the NUTZ.
Whos WE????? I don't think you are doing much from behind the counter out there in Boulder City. And you'd have to have REALLY long legs to reach me all the way out here on the coast.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Hockey,Sep 24 2007, 09:18 PM] Whos WE?????
Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Sep 24 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm getting more than frustrated with all the dropped posts.....page not founds....and f'ed up fonts for too many days.
I don't understand where you are getting these problems you speak of. Can you post urls when you run into them. It would help us work on them. The fonts were messed up for a while (a few hours) over the past few days while I was updating server software and was working the kinks out. The upgrade more than doubled the speed of the site and allows me to update the site software with some new features and bug fixes which weren't supported my the older version. A few hours with messed up fonts seemed like a small price to pay for an immediate performance boost and getting some new stuff online. I guess you think it's too high a price since you're complaining about it.

People wonder why it takes so long to get anything done so I'll tell you. Every time I make a change which inevitably causes some disruption I get yelled at and told the site never works. I'm far more inclined to leave it the way it is since people complain less about the problems they already know about than the short-lived pain they have when I try to make changes.

This is a perfect example. Something as insignificant as 3 or 4 hours over 3 days of the site not having the the right fonts and formatting is already an excuse for why people aren't renewing their memberships despite the substantial speed improvement they got for their troubles.

The site has run almost flawlessly for over a year when I put in all new servers. It was down a couple of times for maintenance which is normal for any site but as for crashes or extended outages there have been very few, maybe 5?, over the past year and none of them lasted more than a couple of hours or more time than it took for me to learn of the problem and find an internet connection I could use to fix it.

It's simple. People depend on the site and so the emphasis is placed on making sure it functions 247 just as it is. I only make changes I know I can make without compromising that goal. If you want upgrades it will mean changes and changes mean risking reliability. Sure I could have replaced the forum software 100 times over but the software we have we know what's wrong with it. I could have switched to vBulletin but what sort of unforeseen disaster might that bring about. Are you willing to suffer serious performance issues, regular outages or other problems we don't know about or know how to fix, while we fumble around for weeks or months figuring out how the software is put together? Probably not.

Just because it looks good on paper or it runs fine on my computer at home with a person or two poking at it doesn't mean it will run fine when I put it on a load balanced server farm and 1500 people throw 150 requests a second at it.

It's not perfect but any changes I make have to be done and considered very carefully and that makes something which seems simple 10x more complicated and take 10x as long as it would if I could just hack away at the site uninterrupted by people trying to use it. I won't risk going backward in the name of progress. I'm getting too old for all nighters and that level of stress.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Sep 24 2007, 08:48 PM
I don't understand where you are getting these problems you speak of. Can you post urls when you run into them. It would help us work on them. The fonts were messed up for a while (a few hours) over the past few days while I was updating server software and was working the kinks out. The upgrade more than doubled the speed of the site and allows me to update the site software with some new features and bug fixes which weren't supported my the older version. A few hours with messed up fonts seemed like a small price to pay for an immediate performance boost and getting some new stuff online. I guess you think it's too high a price since you're complaining about it.

People wonder why it takes so long to get anything done so I'll tell you. Every time I make a change which inevitably causes some disruption I get yelled at and told the site never works. I'm far more inclined to leave it the way it is since people complain less about the problems they already know about than the short-lived pain they have when I try to make changes.

This is a perfect example. Something as insignificant as 3 or 4 hours over 3 days of the site not having the the right fonts and formatting is already an excuse for why people aren't renewing their memberships despite the substantial speed improvement they got for their troubles.

The site has run almost flawlessly for over a year when I put in all new servers. It was down a couple of times for maintenance which is normal for any site but as for crashes or extended outages there have been very few, maybe 5?, over the past year and none of them lasted more than a couple of hours or more time than it took for me to learn of the problem and find an internet connection I could use to fix it.

It's simple. People depend on the site and so the emphasis is placed on making sure it functions 247 just as it is. I only make changes I know I can make without compromising that goal. If you want upgrades it will mean changes and changes mean risking reliability. Sure I could have replaced the forum software 100 times over but the software we have we know what's wrong with it. I could have switched to vBulletin but what sort of unforeseen disaster might that bring about. Are you willing to suffer serious performance issues, regular outages or other problems we don't know about or know how to fix, while we fumble around for weeks or months figuring out how the software is put together? Probably not.

Just because it looks good on paper or it runs fine on my computer at home with a person or two poking at it doesn't mean it will run fine when I put it on a load balanced server farm and 1500 people throw 150 requests a second at it.

It's not perfect but any changes I make have to be done and considered very carefully and that makes something which seems simple 10x more complicated and take 10x as long as it would if I could just hack away at the site uninterrupted by people trying to use it. I won't risk going backward in the name of progress. I'm getting too old for all nighters and that level of stress.
UHHH OHHHHH, I got Eriks attention!!!! Now I'm in for it.

Hey thanks for looking out for me Erik. You know I'm an oldie but a goodie (IMHO) and don't take the opp to blow off some steam. NO worries.

But seriously, I've been getting some "page cannot be found", even as recent as tonite when I reply to a post. I'll go ahead and type up a nice long (and intelligent ) reply, only to have it lock up the page after hitting "post", show a very slow moving progress bar across the bottom of the scren and eventually flip to the page cannot be found thing. I've started copying all my replies before I hit enter now so that I can just paste them in when I hit the back button.

Hope that helps......

-Hockey

p.s. Erik, take a deep breath....and try to take fools like me with a grain of salt. I know that you are only superhuman. I do appreciate you and this site.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Ok, I'm giving you guys a warning. Let's keep this discussion constructive, or I'll have to close this thread. (damn, I miss closing threads.)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Free membership, bare bones site, no complaints.

Quick Reply: Expiration notification?