Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

2015 WRX Long Term Reliability

Old 09-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts
Default 2015 WRX Long Term Reliability

Posting up here as I know a lot of guys have had Subaru's in the past and present. I've got a chance to get a 2015 WRX. I need to use this as my daily driver and I pound the miles on my work vehicles. How do these hold up in the long term ?. I've got to get quite a few years out of it if I go this route and I put on a lot of highway easy driving miles. I've never owned a Subaru before. Thanks for any reply. I might test drive one tomorrow. If I don't get the 2015 I might get brand new.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat(want a wrx 2014) two years ago comparing wrx and cla250.
If you are 20 y o then wrx is cool to drive(exhaust was loud as hell), if not cla250 is faster, smoother and more reliable with dct and 4matic (snow driving is better then bmv x6}.IMHO
Old 09-25-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru's suck get an s4 and never look back. I had one for 1 month and was so glad to have gotten rid of it.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks for replies guys, that is very helpful. I do like the CLA as well, it looks like a great car too. I've never looked at any Audi in my life, it might be worth a visit, thanks for bring that up too.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Joey, I was talking to one of our WOSCA members who is somewhat in the know. I asked him specifically about this a few weeks ago at our last event.

He says, Subaru has monkeyed about with the WRX engine over the years- Subaru will change one thing - they lighten the pistons to get better mileage, then the piston becomes the weak point. They make everything excellent- but then use poorly designed head gaskets. They change the computer tuning, and run into other issues. I got the feeling that he was not overly impressed.

I really liked the 3 pedal 2015 WRX (as if there was another choice) i drove on the autocross course recently. It didn't have "right now" power delivery, but once the turbos are on boil, it steps out nicely. I think its a great daily driver. make mine white.

as for the other choices, audi's are nice, sure- but they've left the real driver's behind when they got rid of the manual trans. You can get a CLA with one. The GLA (based on the CLA) AMG, is a $65k crazy town true sport ute with that fancy self shifting transmission- 364bhp from a 2 liter turbo is just awesome- that's expensive snitzel.

depending on the miles you do, maybe consider a volt. I'd jump on an abarth 500, micra, new civic hatch, BMW 228i.

darcy
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
Joey, I was talking to one of our WOSCA members who is somewhat in the know. I asked him specifically about this a few weeks ago at our last event.

He says, Subaru has monkeyed about with the WRX engine over the years- Subaru will change one thing - they lighten the pistons to get better mileage, then the piston becomes the weak point. They make everything excellent- but then use poorly designed head gaskets. They change the computer tuning, and run into other issues. I got the feeling that he was not overly impressed.

I really liked the 3 pedal 2015 WRX (as if there was another choice) i drove on the autocross course recently. It didn't have "right now" power delivery, but once the turbos are on boil, it steps out nicely. I think its a great daily driver. make mine white.

as for the other choices, audi's are nice, sure- but they've left the real driver's behind when they got rid of the manual trans. You can get a CLA with one. The GLA (based on the CLA) AMG, is a $65k crazy town true sport ute with that fancy self shifting transmission- 364bhp from a 2 liter turbo is just awesome- that's expensive snitzel.

depending on the miles you do, maybe consider a volt. I'd jump on an abarth 500, micra, new civic hatch, BMW 228i.

darcy

Thanks for the great info Darcy. My second approach may be to get a new Civic and CR-V combo and call it a day. I'll see what the dealars are willing to do for me this week and go from there. Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 2015 STI and its awesome. Got it new and had it for almost 3 years next month and not a single problem. Super reliable and very safe. Subaru really did a good job on the new chassis.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by deanob
I have the 2015 STI and its awesome. Got it new and had it for almost 3 years next month and not a single problem. Super reliable and very safe. Subaru really did a good job on the new chassis.
I heard the new chassis is nice and rigid, just a shame they can't build a solid motor that doesn't melt Pistons when you start to modify it
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM

I recently picked up a 2017 WRX this June and had it for 3 months now. It is my first Subaru too, great ride, best bang for the buck performance wise and good for all year round commute. Not sure if you are able to scoop up a good deal used since last I checked it almost cost as much as new in most cases. If you need any specific info, let me know cheers.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned a 2011 STI for a couple years now, only ever driven it through the winter pretty much, it has performed exceptionally well. I have not driven the Audi or Mercedes that are being brought in out of comparison but here is my experience in knowing those kind of owners. People who buy Audi's generally get good reliability out of them but as soon as something goes wrong (and it eventually will) they usually consider selling the car instead of repairing. Mercedes owners also seem to get a lot of miles out of the car but never consider doing proper maintenance on them b/c of the cost, it seems more like they drive it until it dies out of fear that they will have to spend thousands on maintaining it. Subaru owners seem to drive and maintain the car until it dies because the maintenance is reasonable and they are fairly reliable.

Since you are planning to put a ton of miles on the car I would recommend considering what the cost of normal maintenance is going to cost for each. If you are saving ~$50+ each time you are doing an oil change (because you bought a Subaru) that will add up considerably over time I would imagine.

That being said, Subaru doesn't know how to make an interior and if you are going to be spending a lot of miles in it, you may want to opt out for a more luxury ride. Have you considered an Acura or Lexus??

Quick Reply: 2015 WRX Long Term Reliability