Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

2015 WRX Long Term Reliability

Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with Audi and Mercedes is the dealer service is ridiculously expensive for no reason. Mercedes Service A is like 250-300 and it's an oil change and a never ending list of things "visually inspectted" to make it seem like your not spending that money on just an oil change alone. Also keep in mind the Mercedes service interval is like 15k-20k so yeah it may cost double the amount to change the oil as a Subaru you change every 5000km but the intervals are a lot longer so in the end it's the same. I would totally buy a Mercedes or Audi over a Subaru. The only problem with luxury cars is they have a million modules and everything is electronic so when something goes wrong if your paying someone to fix the car it's a lot of damn money because the parts cost. However brakes, suspensions, and wear and tear items are fairly priced. If I had to buy something right now it would be a fully jammed Honda Accord v6 sedan. You know what I'm sayin Dennis
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
I have owned a 2011 STI for a couple years now, only ever driven it through the winter pretty much, it has performed exceptionally well. I have not driven the Audi or Mercedes that are being brought in out of comparison but here is my experience in knowing those kind of owners. People who buy Audi's generally get good reliability out of them but as soon as something goes wrong (and it eventually will) they usually consider selling the car instead of repairing. Mercedes owners also seem to get a lot of miles out of the car but never consider doing proper maintenance on them b/c of the cost, it seems more like they drive it until it dies out of fear that they will have to spend thousands on maintaining it. Subaru owners seem to drive and maintain the car until it dies because the maintenance is reasonable and they are fairly reliable.

Since you are planning to put a ton of miles on the car I would recommend considering what the cost of normal maintenance is going to cost for each. If you are saving ~$50+ each time you are doing an oil change (because you bought a Subaru) that will add up considerably over time I would imagine.

That being said, Subaru doesn't know how to make an interior and if you are going to be spending a lot of miles in it, you may want to opt out for a more luxury ride. Have you considered an Acura or Lexus??
^ Side note, guy at work has the new Acura RL and it is absolutely gorgeous. As always with the RL, too expensive for what you get

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
The problem with Audi and Mercedes is the dealer service is ridiculously expensive for no reason. Mercedes Service A is like 250-300 and it's an oil change and a never ending list of things "visually inspectted" to make it seem like your not spending that money on just an oil change alone. Also keep in mind the Mercedes service interval is like 15k-20k so yeah it may cost double the amount to change the oil as a Subaru you change every 5000km but the intervals are a lot longer so in the end it's the same. I would totally buy a Mercedes or Audi over a Subaru. The only problem with luxury cars is they have a million modules and everything is electronic so when something goes wrong if your paying someone to fix the car it's a lot of damn money because the parts cost. However brakes, suspensions, and wear and tear items are fairly priced. If I had to buy something right now it would be a fully jammed Honda Accord v6 sedan. You know what I'm sayin Dennis
^ The new V6 Touring Accords are gorgeous. My 4 banger sport seems so lame now, although I do like the gas mileage on daily driver.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also keep in mind the Mercedes service interval is like 15k-20k so yeah it may cost double the amount to change the oil as a Subaru you change every 5000km but the intervals are a lot longer so in the end it's the same.
That is a good point although I would generally change my Subaru oil closer to ~8,000km (if I drove it that much) and if I owned a Mercedes I would never wait more than ~10,000km to change the oil even if it says 15-20K.

To be honest I still don't know why we are comparing Subaru against any luxury vehicle, I don't really consider them to be in the same price/style category to begin with.

...and I do agree the Accords these days are damn nice for the price, a much better comparison against a Subaru.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CR EH
Also keep in mind the Mercedes service interval is like 15k-20k so yeah it may cost double the amount to change the oil as a Subaru you change every 5000km but the intervals are a lot longer so in the end it's the same.
That is a good point although I would generally change my Subaru oil closer to ~8,000km (if I drove it that much) and if I owned a Mercedes I would never wait more than ~10,000km to change the oil even if it says 15-20K.

To be honest I still don't know why we are comparing Subaru against any luxury vehicle, I don't really consider them to be in the same price/style category to begin with.

...and I do agree the Accords these days are damn nice for the price, a much better comparison against a Subaru.
Only comparing because a brand new STI is close to 50k territory
Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by d1000rr
Originally Posted by s2jizzer' timestamp='1474907862' post='24070175
Joey perhaps

Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
Originally Posted by d1000rr' timestamp='1474920306' post='24070378
[quote name='s2jizzer' timestamp='1474907862' post='24070175']
Joey perhaps

[/quote]

Yeah the new Accords are very nice, my wife would actually like a new Civic and I actually like both.

I test drove a very low mileage 2015 WRX today and I thought it was fantastic, it is a very nice package. Everything worked really well and felt very refined. I liked it.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Subbie, go for the WRX you wont be disappointed man.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The wrx and sti are both amazing cars
The closest thing to an sti that I've ever owned was a gc8 with sti engine+trans swapped

It's a blast to drive and let's just say you get more excited knowing there will be a snowstorm
UNTIL something goes wrong.. and no mechanics really want to touch my car (probably because mine had a swapped engine and trans)
Anyways, sold it for dirt cheap after winter since it wasn't worth the pain and $$

On the other hand, I have nothing bad to say about the 2 8thgen civics I've owned (a silver csx type s and currently a white civic si)
They are both equipped with lsd and they do absolutely amazing in the snow with good winter tires
Old 09-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prepaid for Service A, B, and C for CLA250(every 20,000 km 60000 in total) cost just a $750 oil change included, then you have to pay $2300 for another 4 years of full warranty (7 years in total). This is not bad.

Quick Reply: 2015 WRX Long Term Reliability