Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

2017 Southern Ontario Autocross Events

Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen! I just bought some R-S4's for this upcoming weekend! Stock tire sizes for the AP1, but working within my budget, I decided to follow Darcy's advice and Kevin's. Got the stickiest rubber I can afford but trying not to get soo sticky that the tires hide my actual driving. On the bright side, while not being optimized by any means, I will never run into classing issues going fully stock sized. PITL this Sunday drove me mad with the lack of grip, and after losing my fastest lap of the day from blowing through the stop box with all 4 wheels locked up mad me bite the bullet. I am very excited to try these babies out at PITL and WOSCA this weekend!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4
Ladies and gentlemen! I just bought some R-S4's for this upcoming weekend! Stock tire sizes for the AP1, but working within my budget, I decided to follow Darcy's advice and Kevin's. Got the stickiest rubber I can afford but trying not to get soo sticky that the tires hide my actual driving. On the bright side, while not being optimized by any means, I will never run into classing issues going fully stock sized. PITL this Sunday drove me mad with the lack of grip, and after losing my fastest lap of the day from blowing through the stop box with all 4 wheels locked up mad me bite the bullet. I am very excited to try these babies out at PITL and WOSCA this weekend!!!
I just barely broke in my RS4s at the GP track and some drifting at the skidpad. Nice and scrubbed now.

Be sure to be careful on your first time out - your tires will be slippery thanks to the outside layer still being relatively fresh and your edges as well.

I was VERY happy with how the RS4s performed on the skidpad. Definitely an upgrade from my old RS3s in terms of maximum grip and stiffer sidewall (more responsive). Can't wait for this Saturday - hopefully the rain stays away.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks Kevin! I think by the time I end up at PITL this Saturday I will have about 200 km on them. Think that would suffice for a break in?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Thanks Kevin! I think by the time I end up at PITL this Saturday I will have about 200 km on them. Think that would suffice for a break in?
It will just mean your center and insides are broken in - not your outside edges. Thats why I was drifting at the skid pad to break in my outsides. Keep an eye on your tires.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Thank you for the clarification. Guess I will have to ease into the pace this weekend. Either way great opportunity to test my new tires! Chris Kennealy is a great guy to deal with, and he has gotten me even more excited to put these on!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

i do nothing but drive the tread off my tires. what better way to break your tires in than autocross! I don't put a lot of stock in breaking a tire in…but that's just me.

see you on course.

darcy
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Haha looking forward to Sunday, Darcy! By the way, I did get my Hub nuts tightened just like you said! Lucky for me Kia just finished a service bulletin on some hub nuts so our techs had a 36mm handy
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM

Well... This month was exciting! What events are people planning for next month? I will be hitting up both WOSCA events, the 16th and 23rd. There's also PITL on the 9th and 29th which will be a blast! I will also be getting down to Cayuga for the F2000 driving school, and sticking around for the evening lapping afterwards. Right now I'm on track to win the novice trophy with WOSCA and with some perseverance, get top 10 overall in the series. With those stakes there's no way I can't take every opportunity to improve as a driver. Can't count on car parts for better laps if you can't afford 'em!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Well... This month was exciting! What events are people planning for next month? I will be hitting up both WOSCA events, the 16th and 23rd. There's also PITL on the 9th and 29th which will be a blast! I will also be getting down to Cayuga for the F2000 driving school, and sticking around for the evening lapping afterwards. Right now I'm on track to win the novice trophy with WOSCA and with some perseverance, get top 10 overall in the series. With those stakes there's no way I can't take every opportunity to improve as a driver. Can't count on car parts for better laps if you can't afford 'em!
There are novice driver awards? DAMN I MISSED OUT.

Whilst I can't make it out to WOSCA events, keep coming out to PITL and I can help you work on things!

Kev
The following users liked this post:
madfunkwilly4 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LemonJus
There are novice driver awards? DAMN I MISSED OUT.

Whilst I can't make it out to WOSCA events, keep coming out to PITL and I can help you work on things!

Kev
Your help at PITL this weekend is probably the reason why I made 8th in pax at WOSCA. There was a relatively fast hairpin turn and that hand technique combined with looking ahead made me feel really quick going through it. Also I think the only way you should be driving with novices is in the passenger seat lol