Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Is anyone on classic car insurance for the S2000?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is anyone on classic car insurance for the S2000?

Just wondering if anyone has Classic car insurance already for their S2000. I plan to make the calls and ask all the questions in the spring but I figure someone here might already know.

I am fine with low km limits as I don't put many km on the car anyway.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you also seen the list of restrictions?

I looked at it before and the one I saw said you can't drive to work, can't park at malls, can only drive to car club meetings, etc
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

What's the value add? Cheaper to insure?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the S2000 can be insured under this category...

Vehicles That May Not Qualify
Because we provide low-cost, agreed-value coverage, we are not able to provide coverage for certain vehicles due to how they are used and the increased risk associated, including:
  • Daily-use vehicles
  • Camping, off-road, or utility-type vehicles
  • Late model vehicles that have been highly customized for looks or performance (commonly referred to as “Tuner”)
  • Vehicles that are highly customized for appearance and suspension (commonly referred to as "Lowrider")
  • Commercial-use vehicles
  • Motorcycles or scooters
  • Replicas of the 1963-67 Shelby Cobra Roadster
  • Vehicles that are used for racing, timed events, autocross or drivers education
  • Vehicles modified with features such as a roll cage, wheelie casters, parachutes, nitrous components or modifications that permanently remove the roof and/or doors.
  • Vehicles with 700 hp or greater (manufactured or modified)
  • Right-hand drive vehicles newer than 25 years, specifically those imported from Japan
  • Dune Buggies
  • Motor homes or recreational vehicles
Do You Qualify for Our Classic Car Insurance?
In order to qualify for our Agreed Value classic car insurance you must meet the following requirements:

Flexible Usage
Our policy allows you reasonable pleasure use, with no fixed restrictions — it just can't be your daily driver.

Storage
Collector vehicles must be stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use. Appropriate storage includes:
  • private residential garages
  • private pole building or barns
  • rental storage units
Driver Eligibility
We are not able to offer coverage to drivers with a serious infraction within the last three years. Serious infractions include:
  • Alcohol-related offences
  • Reckless driving
  • Excessive speed violations
Applicants and household drivers must have 10 or more years of driving experience. All household driving records are subject to underwriter review. Generally one or two minor violations or accidents are acceptable.

Regular-Use Vehicles
  • All household members with a valid drivers licence must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving.
  • Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular use vehicles by our program in most cases (contact us for details).
  • Applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in their own names.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
What's the value add? Cheaper to insure?
Cheaper. That's about it from what I gather.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Spotter

I don't know what you guys pay for insurance but I'm already under 100$ a month, and I'm just about coming up on my 25th birthday. Wonder what will happen to my insurance rates then.

Read up on this a little, seems like a lot of hassle to get this implemented and seems like it's quite restrictive
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kryptonite
I don't know what you guys pay for insurance but I'm already under 100$ a month, and I'm just about coming up on my 25th birthday. Wonder what will happen to my insurance rates then.

Read up on this a little, seems like a lot of hassle to get this implemented and seems like it's quite restrictive
Must be under your parents name?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Spotter

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by kryptonite' timestamp='1421696481' post='23473839

Must be under your parents name?
Nope. Car is owned/registered/insured by me.

Probably has to do with Oakville + I've put less than 5000km on the car since 2012
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm curious about this too, but I'm only 20, and the bit about the 10 years of driving experience has me concerned... I also have 4 speeding tickets in the last year, but no demerit points.

I store my s2000 indoors, I use my dad's car as a DD while he's in texas, when he's not, I ride my bike so the other kids at my campus don't slash the top or something. I only drive it to "car meetings" (cayuga, mosport etc.) otherwise, and I fit most of the other criteria.
so the insurance is under my name, but I'm under my dad's umbrella plan, so I'm wondering if I can still qualify.

I'll give my insurance company later, but I'm just wondering if I can get a quick answer from someone that would know.
I'm with TD melan melonche if it makes a difference.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is insured with haggerty. under a limited production car policy. (not a classic car policy)

the benefit with this was they took my car with all my mods. supercharger included.

it was the same money, but I could sleep at night knowing if my car disappears my car and my mods are fully covered.

its about 1100 a year for me, with this policy it has to be paid in full up front. u also must have a good driving record to qualify

cheers Russ

Quick Reply: Is anyone on classic car insurance for the S2000?