Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Is anyone on classic car insurance for the S2000?

Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Type R
Thanks guys, I guess you're saying that telling them the S2K is not a daily driver is based on honour system or do they need to see another vehicle insured under your name?
I personally wouldn’t lie to them, it can come back to bite you in the ass. With Haggerty you need to have a clean driving record, another vehicle as your daily driver and a certain amount of years fully licensed, can’t recall at the moment exactly how much. There are a few other restrictions. I personally enjoy using an insurance broker to find me the right insurance needs for my situation. Everyone’s situation is different. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
stock06 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 1,268 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Type R
Thanks guys, I guess you're saying that telling them the S2K is not a daily driver is based on honour system or do they need to see another vehicle insured under your name?
They have not asked for any proof of other vehicles that I own or even proof of how many miles I drive it. But, I am honest with those things. I set the mileage to what I typically drive it per year and own other cars so I do not use it as a daily all the time.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
They have not asked for any proof of other vehicles that I own or even proof of how many miles I drive it. But, I am honest with those things. I set the mileage to what I typically drive it per year and own other cars so I do not use it as a daily all the time.
Is this Hagerty that you talking about ?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:40 PM

Old 08-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine on Haggerty when i bought it since its definitely not a daily driver
Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM

My 2005 is insured with Haggerty. They asked for pictures, and a list of mods. I included the SOS supercharger and engine management system. I also included the BC Racing coilovers, Invidia exhaust, Eibach sway bars, Enkei wheels and everything else I could think of. Now I'm an old fart (64), but they came back with $1000 per year. I used to be able to take off collision for the winter, but that stopped a couple of years ago. I'm even allowed to pay monthly. It's all done with the same broker that insures my other cars (I have to have another one for "daily" use, and the wife's Civic), my house. I argued that I'm retired and don't go to work, no deal because my son is an occasional driver on the Civic. So another car is required. At 6' 4" 250lb, he can't even get into the S2000, let alone drive it. Go figure! It's tiring arguing with city hall! I'm moving up to Muskoka soon, so the price will hopefully drop a bit.

Do not ever lie to your insurer. If you get into an accident, not even your fault, they will not pay for your repairs/parts. In fact, they will dump you as a customer and report you to the police for lying. This is a criminal offence and you can be charged. The other party will claim the accident was your fault, and sue you for not having insurance.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by willis
My 2005 is insured with Haggerty. They asked for pictures, and a list of mods. I included the SOS supercharger and engine management system. I also included the BC Racing coilovers, Invidia exhaust, Eibach sway bars, Enkei wheels and everything else I could think of. Now I'm an old fart (64), but they came back with $1000 per year. I used to be able to take off collision for the winter, but that stopped a couple of years ago. I'm even allowed to pay monthly. It's all done with the same broker that insures my other cars (I have to have another one for "daily" use, and the wife's Civic), my house. I argued that I'm retired and don't go to work, no deal because my son is an occasional driver on the Civic. So another car is required. At 6' 4" 250lb, he can't even get into the S2000, let alone drive it. Go figure! It's tiring arguing with city hall! I'm moving up to Muskoka soon, so the price will hopefully drop a bit.

Do not ever lie to your insurer. If you get into an accident, not even your fault, they will not pay for your repairs/parts. In fact, they will dump you as a customer and report you to the police for lying. This is a criminal offence and you can be charged. The other party will claim the accident was your fault, and sue you for not having insurance.
Can you share your broker and contact info?
Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
Go to wayfarerinsurancegroup.com. There's a section on collector cars.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ArchieS2K
Is this Hagerty that you talking about ?
yep it is
Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by afzan

Any reason you want to go through a broker? Is it a requirement in Canada to do so?

I have never understood the reason for using a broker with the ease of comparing policies yourself these days. The last time I used a broker was in 2004 when I moved to MN, and he set me up with garbage both attempts. One company doubled my rates the first year (no reason, no driving issues at all) and the other, when handling a damage claim due to an animal impact, tried to force the shop to use salvage parts because "you have a used car, so you get used parts". Told them and the broker to pound sand after that claim was through (and the shop kept rejecting the used parts until they finally agreed to buy new ones). I got no better rate quotes using a broker than if I quoted myself, so I found absolutely zero benefit and the broker pushed me to use his favorite companies, which sucked.