Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Anyone with the PRM intake?

Old 04-30-2002, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with the PRM intake?

Hey guys, I was told by Jerry at PRM that a few Toronto-based owners had this intake in their S2k's. If so, can anyone here fill me in on it? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:57 AM

Yep!

Noticeable gain - however I am going to see Gerry some time late next week to revise the design.

(He doesn't know this yet! )

My S2000 was the first to have the PRM intake. It's a semi-CAI, and it gives "noticeable" gains.

Peace
Old 04-30-2002, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1badride
It's a semi-CAI, and it gives "noticeable" gains.
let's be honest, that's an oxymoron.....

it "looks" like a short-air (hot air) intake - how can that provide gains?

why would a PRM provide gains when no other short-air intake does???
Old 04-30-2002, 07:48 AM

It looks to me like the filter is protected from heat soak with it's cover, which isn't the case with those early S2000 entries that had the filter sitting inches directly in front of the engine. I think it would work even better if thermal-wrap was placed around that black section as well.

Old 04-30-2002, 07:55 AM

yes, but how much air can possibly be sucked in with opening sitting on an angle like that?

btw, it sounds great, i'm just not sold on the functionality of it's design....
Old 04-30-2002, 08:24 AM

This area, according to Gerry, was supposed to be the original location for the filter until Honda got together with Mugen and subsequently went with the air box design. Interesting that Mugen quickly saw to improving the OEM design (which came about from their own input strangely enough) with their $1500 intake. Hmmm.
Anyways, FWIW, the PRM intake area is where Comptech puts their own filter and people have reported back with enthusiastic results on that intake so I suspect the PRM will fall right in line with the others though Gerry remarked that the system is designed to make its maximum power gains toward redline and not down low.. Those who have the system will be able to speak on its merits (or lack of). Mine will arrive on Friday. I'll be the first US owner to have it, according to Gerry so I accept the role of guinea pig for the American masses.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:17 AM

Ummmm

How did you get those pics?

That's my car!

The trumpet style funnel sucks most of the intake air from an opening in the fender. The filter is fully insulated from the underhood heat generated from the engine.

I have come up with some changes to improve on the design.

When I installed the intake, I noticed minimal gains on the low end, mild gains mid-range (pre-vtec), but once the big cam comes on, VERY NOTICEABLE GAIN.

Russ: I say hold off - the changes I have in mind will make it a full/true CAI. Only a couple of weeks. I can't guarantee the changes will be able to work with the existing setup.

Peace.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by 1badride
That's my car!
i was gonna say.......
Old 05-01-2002, 02:04 AM

Too late! I ordered it yesterday and requested priority shipping. The pics are from their web site and ironically, are the only ones I could find anywhere. Just a couple of footnotes though. I think placing the Mugen carbon fiber heat shield between the block and filter is the way to go, to really isolate possible heat soak. It's available from Pappy at a reasonable $155. Ambient temps dropped significantly in the filter area when that shield was installed. I also intend to use thermal wrap around the filter pipe and between the two, heat soak should essentially be a thing of the past, if it exists at all right now. I really do not like the idea of placing the intake any closer to the radiator and the location of this PRM (and the Comptech) seems to me to be the best area because from what I've read, there is more than enough pressure in this corner to create enough air moving through the CAI. Hardly any CAI is going to provide much gain below 4K and I really like the PRM's approach, putting the gains where I want them...at WOT and above 7K. I hope to schedule a dyno next week following the install but it probably won't be too useful since my car also has the Tanabe Racing Medalion dual exhaust but I'll do some accelerometer runs (many) and work out some averages to see if I've gained anything noteworthy and will get back to you guys, especially since PRM is a Canadian product. According to Gerry, he's only sold about five of these units and I think if I'm not mistaken, they were all to the east of him.