Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

A cold reminder track driving can be dangerous

Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Jun 3 2005, 12:40 PM
ahhh I see where this is going.

Have a nice weekend...
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Jun 3 2005, 08:17 AM
I can speak from experience here..you can survive a 150mph impact I am proof of that. I ran straight off at the end of the front straight at Heartland Park in Topeka Kansas...I was flat out in an F2000 car at 154mph slid through 100ft of grass and slammed into a concrete wall. I hit just about head on..Compression fractures in my back which took 6 months to recover from. The point of impact is not in that photo..unless you were there to see what happened I wouldn't place judgement..This just a case of what can happen on a track.
oh damn

that was a shocking story.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jun 3 2005, 12:34 PM
douglas, do you SEE any in the pics?

you can clearly see that there are no tires or foam against the walls in the pics....it doesn't warrant speculation as the answer is obvious.

your brain must not have made it into work with the rest of your body...
It amazes me how you can miss the boat time and time again...

I was teasing our dear Ohio friend, no shit there was no tire wall or foam in front of the concrete.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by taylor,Jun 3 2005, 12:39 PM
That's a very misleading statement IMO.

The problem with this incident (if what's being reported is accurate) is the Organizer or Pit Entry working f'kd up and f'kd up bad. They put a car out on the track at the wrong time. As to whether the car that came onto the track could have further avoided the incident, I don't know.

My point of speaking up is that this is exactly why I will avoid specific lapping events like the plague unless I'm comfortable with the club and their history.

Case and point, BattleEndless had a lapping evening at Shannonville pro track last weekend, there were people going out there with no helmets (and this is NOT a new thing, almost EVERY lapping evening after Solo 1, I will see some club with mostly asian guys with pimped out cars show up and run, 80% or more without helmets. Hell I saw one guy in his car, with a helmet on, his girlfriend in the passenger seat holding a camcorder.. NO HELMET.. WTF? What's the deal there? Is wearing a helmet (or not) an image thing. Like the $80K car isn't enough to make your macho statement? ing dipshits. To top it off, they NEVER have an ambulance on hand. Speeds at the end of the Fabi straight in some of these cars would be approaching 200km/h.

Now you can also lay blame on the track to some extent, but it's not like the drivers wouldn't be aware of these deficencies in the first place, before they got into their cars to participate. Any and all concrete should be protected on a roadcourse anywhere near a turn. No clue where this concrete was, but seeing as how it was an oval, it could have been anywhere.

As to the safety of track events, HADA ALWAYS has an Ambulance on hand, Solo 1, ALWAYS. We're even fortunate enough to have doctors on hand most of the time. We have experienced competitors marshalling the pit entry. These people are either experienced enough to monitor the track on their own, or get their directions from a clerk of the course. These are safe events. Now, that said, I have been to a Solo 1 event, 3 roll overs in one weekend. One was just a freak incident.. car caught a curb bad, dug in, flipped 360. No rollcage, mostly stock car, driver was fine and laughing (and drunk) later that evening. The next day, due to the track leaving hay bails out on the track a little further than they should have (which are only intended for motorcycle events) there were two rollovers, the drivers over cooked the corner, and what should have been a nice dent in the front fender resulted in the front left tires climbing up the hay bails and turned the cars over. Both drivers were checked out, no injuries.

In the end, drive within your limits and your comfort zone with a reputible club with clear rules (passing and saftey and you will be fine). But if you can't trust the organizers, that may all be moot when you're getting passed on the inside of a turn during a lapping day. No Insurance, No Helmets, No Ambulance, No Liability, Nothing. THAT.. is unsafe.
Sure.

With insurance, helmets, ambulance, liability, how much will a lap day run dude?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 3 2005, 02:17 PM
It amazes me how you can miss the boat time and time again...

I was teasing our dear Ohio friend
riiiight.....and i should know you were teasing, how??

Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jun 3 2005, 01:34 PM
your brain must not have made it into work with the rest of your body...
why are you always hating?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jun 3 2005, 02:25 PM
riiiight.....and i should know you were teasing, how??
use your espn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, did you ship those rotors, yet?????????????

we still haven't gotten them!!!!!

Banned

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Jun 3 2005, 02:26 PM
why are you always hating?
he shat his diapers this morning and he's still sitting in it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jun 3 2005, 02:29 PM
dude, did you ship those rotors, yet?????????????

we still haven't gotten them!!!!!
no..wern't you suppose to give me your shipping account? talk about leaving your brain at home

Quick Reply: A cold reminder track driving can be dangerous