Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Do NOT buy the 2nd hand Comptech in Markham.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM

This is the midpipe that comes after the cat and before the muffler section.

This is one of the muffler sections.

Image shack is really slow right now. I'll try to upload the rest of the pictures tonight.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 146 Likes on 117 Posts

PM replied Dominic..

Got a question...who is Johnnys2000? Newbie guest from Toronto that ironically PM'd me with "interest" to buy my Comptech today after this thread was posted. So I can vouch that it's in 3 pieces vs 2? All he had to do was ask...... he had me going so far as to offer to go out tonight to pull the car out of the garage in the rain, get it up on jackstands, and shoot photos at night because he messaged me as if he was a perspective buyer...

Anyway, the exhaust is 3 pieces. From those pictures, it looks like the way it comes from Comptech.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Thanks for replying the PM so quickly and posting the pics. Now I know for sure that the exhaust we have is not tampered with or defetive in anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 146 Likes on 117 Posts

No problem...

If you do know who Johnnys2000 is, please tell him next time to ask a question, rather than mislead someone and potentially wasting their time.

Like Mindcore posted earlier..if you want to continue selling on s2ki, become a member.

See you around
Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dominic:

I have no issues with you personally; so if I came across as using that post as a personal attack, I apologise. I simply wanted to explain to people what was going on, because if that flange came from Comptech like that, then that's some piss-poor craftsmanship. The burr from the cut was still CLEARLY visible for crying out loud.

If you go to the comptech site and read the installation instructions for the exhaust, you tell me what YOU'd think after reading http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/ins...ions/ins068.pdf and then seeing what you have on your hands.

Parts list:

1 B pipe section (front)
1 Muffler section (rear)
1 large ring gasket
2 small ring gasket.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor,May 15 2007, 09:04 PM
Dominic:

I have no issues with you personally; so if I came across as using that post as a personal attack, I apologise. I simply wanted to explain to people what was going on, because if that flange came from Comptech like that, then that's some piss-poor craftsmanship. The burr from the cut was still CLEARLY visible for crying out loud.

If you go to the comptech site and read the installation instructions for the exhaust, you tell me what YOU'd think after reading http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/ins...ions/ins068.pdf and then seeing what you have on your hands.

Parts list:

1 B pipe section (front)
1 Muffler section (rear)
1 large ring gasket
2 small ring gasket.
Yeah, this worried me alot when I read it too.

Unfortunately comptech is no longer around so we can't contact them for clarification on this matter.

The main issue right now is the fact that the exhaust itself is in three pieces as opposed to two like it says on the website. But since we have had two cases Mocky and silver bullet where the exhaust is clearly in 3 pieces I think that perhaps this whole thing is just a huge misunderstanding.

I still do not know how the three piece exhausts should look like and perhaps if Mocky does not mind then he can snap a few pics for us or shed some light on the problem.

I have brought the exhaust to a garage today and two mechanics gave their individual opinions that it should mount without problems as long as we can source the proper gaskets.

According to John the kit arrived as you saw it, with only the three pieces of the cat back and the header.

To think about it logically there is no real reason why we would cut that section in half or keep the gaskets or bolts from you if we had it.

If you still disagree with me I respect your decision and since you recieved all your money back in full I think we should just leave it at that. We were not trying to scam anyone by anymeans, if we were then it's logical to think that the course of events would not have turned out as they did.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 PM

as for the exhaust being cut, perhaps that the 3 piece exhaust is manufactured in that manner, where the original twin muffler piece gets cut in half because new molds were too expensive :S

I will need someone who has a 3 piece comptech catback to confirm this as I do not have this information and speculation does not add much value to the discussion at this point.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, the more I thought about it today during my flight, the more it makes sense why they did it.

It's easier to package, but I think that's just a side benefit. The vibration and the stress and strain that flange sees if it was one piece would be far greater than if it was 2-pieces. By separating the flange, it almost serves as a stress relief from the vibration and the stress at the centerline from the flex when going over bumps.

But I still stand by the fact that they should've cleaned the metal debris and deburred the thing before shipping

Quick Reply: Do NOT buy the 2nd hand Comptech in Markham.