Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Driving from Toronto to Miami.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I think either, whenever people out drive their skill level and/or level of traction. Remember, always drive according to conditions
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 12 2011, 07:15 AM
I guess you answered your own question. Running modern snow tires for 2000 kms doesn't wear them out that much, they won't melt in the heat and it isn't that hot in Florida this time of the year, just warm. Just take it easy in the corners and they won't wear much. I drive mine all winter on dry highways in Southern Ontario and they wear fine.

You could take your summers with you, but you won't have much space if you plan on taking luggage and plan on buying stuff to bring back. That would drive me crazy, but everyone is different. I do the trip to Florida once a year.
What kind of car do you usually take? How much do you usually spend on a trip down to Florida. You can PM me if you don't wanna talk about that stuff here, I'd like to get all the information I can.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 AM

The wife and I drove to Miami on our honeymoon in Aug to go on a cruise.... But if I were you in this time of the yr and the way this season has been going in the states I would be keeping the snows on. The majority of the trip you will be driving through winter conditions. You never know what your gonna hit in the mountains and once you get to Florida you won't wear them out that much.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan2949,Feb 12 2011, 12:40 PM
What kind of car do you usually take? How much do you usually spend on a trip down to Florida. You can PM me if you don't wanna talk about that stuff here, I'd like to get all the information I can.
We do an annual road trip, we've been doing it for many years. The last two years we used our Ford Escape, we did the trip in a Ford Fusion one year, Dodge Caravan two years, and even a Dodge SRT4 (that year was fun). We always end up in a condo on the beach in Daytona Beach for a couple weeks, but we make a road trip of it on the way down stopping and visiting all sorts of cool places. We usually do a theme park in Orlando for the benefit of my son (me too, lol), and did the Florida Keys one year as well (amazing area). Fuel costs vary every year and we sometimes go out of our way to visit places along the way, but it averages about $120 one way on fuel costs, my Escape gets amazing fuel economy at 70 mph in summer months. Miami is a good 4 hours further than Daytona beach though. Gas prices are up this year though compared to last summer. Two weeks condo on the beach for $550 in summer off-season months. We love it , but it's a family trip, nothing crazy, visit some cool places and relax on the beach with the wife and son. We've visited some amazing places over the years doing different pit stops along the east coast.

I highly recommend getting on Interstate I-77 over I-75, it has much less traffic and lots of rest areas, we cross over at Buffalo and take one of the interstates down towards I77 , then to I-26 and to I-95. Less construction areas and just not as busy as I75.
Hope this helps. PM me with any questions.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately my mom got fired from her job this morning and I was going to ask her for the cash to pay for this trip. We made a deal back when I was a kid that if I never tried smoking 'till I'm 19 I get $1,000, well I'm 18 and been going through so much in my life that I'm stressed out to the point where I wanted to get away and was going to get that grand earlier and take this trip.

I'm still going to do it one day, maybe in an S
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949,Feb 13 2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately my mom got fired from her job this morning and I was going to ask her for the cash to pay for this trip. We made a deal back when I was a kid that if I never tried smoking 'till I'm 19 I get $1,000, well I'm 18 and been going through so much in my life that I'm stressed out to the point where I wanted to get away and was going to get that grand earlier and take this trip.

I'm still going to do it one day, maybe in an S
ah that sucks, sorry to hear about your Mom's bad news, hopefully she can use it to her advantage and improve upon where she was working. Nice of you thinking about her and giving her a break on the money request. Good luck with things and try to do the trip when you can.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 AM

Keep the winters on. I'd rather have the piece of mind with Winters over the wear factor. Besides, the southern states aren't as warm in the winter anyway. ATL has more snow than we do and Northern FLA is always hovering around 13 or so this time of year.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 12 2011, 11:07 PM
ah that sucks, sorry to hear about your Mom's bad news, hopefully she can use it to her advantage and improve upon where she was working. Nice of you thinking about her and giving her a break on the money request. Good luck with things and try to do the trip when you can.
Yea, she's been working there for 5+ years, their best employee. Boss is an idiot. Just because she was known to throw around dirty jokes every now and then, etc. (Waitress, btw).

Sucks, but she already has another job lined up that pays more, hopefully she can get that.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949,Feb 13 2011, 03:32 PM
Yea, she's been working there for 5+ years, their best employee. Boss is an idiot. Just because she was known to throw around dirty jokes every now and then, etc. (Waitress, btw).

Sucks, but she already has another job lined up that pays more, hopefully she can get that.
ah nice to hear she should be able to find something in that field, hope the new lead works out for her.