Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery?

Old 01-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why ?

Here's why ?

In my past, I worked for numerous Doctors and numerous Lasik Centers including Beacon Eye Center, TLC, The laser Centre, as an Opthalmic tech as I was studying computers. I would work alongside PT tech's from Herzig and Bochner as well as Lasik MD. Lasik MD had the worst reputation, hence their pricing. They had new and young Ophthomologists who only did a few hundred eyes who were hungry to gain experience. So you may be getting experienced lasers, but are not getting experience hands. And when things went wrong, we'd hear it because the community is small across centres.

Lasik MD always had and still have the reputation of new doctors who are willing to work for free to one day become renkown like the Jeff Machat's of the world. However , even he has lost his thunder.

Also, centers as such cheap out, don't allow their techs, to spend the time, washing nor PROPERLY maintaining the keratome ! This is the most important unit as it's what makes the flap. Also they cut corners on calibrating the laserheads. I've seen that too. Bad ! I'd maintain supplies, wipes, keratomes, gloves, even maintain the sterilizing unit to sterilize the tools, has to be done. And again, this is where cheaper prices come in , because of all this is SKIMMED in between patients and very few tech's are allowed to go the extra mile like I used to, in between patients.

Dr. Steve Arshinoff or Dr. Omar Hakim are my picks why ? These guys I both worked very closely, and how did they start out ? Not by laser's ONLY , but by real eye surgeries like treating Cataracts, Glaucoma, and even Corneal transplants. I've seen these guys touch cornea's with scalpel's and maintain the utmost calmness. I've seen these things done and these guys have the BEST HANDS in the business.

I've seen these guys's HUGE waiting lists, from mistakes done by other center's, yes even Shelley's. I personally have worked alongside many touch up's from Lasik MD's, bochner and other laser center's botch jobs.. Touch up, I mean re-irigate and then re-position your flap, cuz if it ain't right and the seals are not adhering properly, those halos and bright light flashes will take months, years of bothersome eye sight to get over , not to mention regression almost back to glasses, if not done properly..

sorry for the long post.. but just trying to help you out man as I've seen the worst...

simon
Old 01-05-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i had mine done, of course there were lots of OPTHO's working at LasikMD, but only Cohen and Wallerstein manned the lasers....

maybe things have changed, but not everyone performs the actual procedure....or maybe do they nowadays???
Old 01-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Former Moderator

PM sent.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.. I won't know untill I ask!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PLYRS 3
Old 01-05-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, gotcha!!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Banned

Im still waiting for my left eye to stabilize....still gettin worse every year

Anyone try the lazer pen treatment?
Old 01-08-2004, 04:41 AM

6 years ago Lasik Vision came to Mississauga from Vancouver.....at that time a friend of me got a job with them at the Eglington location she came to me and said that they would do it for free on the first 100 pat. this was not for me but for my wife I did not get in on that deal ....til later she told me that the first 1000 pat. would only pay $1000......I told my wife who had a vision about -8, -7.5.......one month later she went to have it done !!!! and after that she went for check up maybe 4 times, today her vision is 20/20(I just wish that was me)
Old 01-08-2004, 06:06 AM

I had it done and now I see better then I ever have with glasses or contacts. I would do it again in a sec.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:59 AM
cyk

Great topic and info guys. I'm also thinking about it but still a little iffy about the technologies...plus my eyes are not stable and seems getting worst every year.
I wanna wear my sunglasses when the top is down!!! On top of the sun protection, need to look cool you know! Damn contacts.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had laser eye surgery?