Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Help me find a new "used" Honda S2000...no good ones out there?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzlightyear
I'm in a similar boat. I've been looking around for an s2k ap2 for a couple months and haven't found much that's priced where I'd expect. Hadn't thought about importing, not sure i'm smart enough for that.
If you search a bit there are a bunch of threads here on importing vehicles and give clear step by steps. Its not that difficult. Look around the Detroit or Buffalo region.. a lot of dealers have experience with it there too and are usually happy to walk you through it.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a used 2006 in Ohio almost 3 years ago. I purchased mine privately and the process was not very difficult. I gathered all the information from various internet sources and put together a check list. I added a couple of steps since it was a private sale. The most important one was with respect to the title. The owner had a loan on the car. I brought a bank draft made out to the owner of the car and we went to the bank together. In the US the title is held at the bank. We explained the sale and the bank accepted the draft, paid off the debt, released the lean against the car and notarized the change in title. We then drove to the nearest motor vehicle office and I purchased a temporary permit. Removed and returned the Ohio plates to the previous owner.

One other snag was the requirement to have a vehicle clearance letter to present at the border with respect to recalls. If you buy a used S2000 from a Honda dealer they will provide it for you upon request. In my case this was a private sale. I had the previous owner take the S2000 in for a routine oil change and he requested a letter. We did this in advance to my trip to Ohio.

I found that the prices of S2000's in Ohio were a bit better than other areas. I am just guessing, but there is a Honda Plant and possibly many of them were employee purchases.

If you have any questions about the import process I would be happy to share my experience. I might even be able to find the check list I created.

My car isn't officially for sale, but for the right money everything is for sale LOL. My car is sebring. When I purchased the car it was stock with exception to two things. The side markers were changed for clear ones and the stock wheels were chromed. At first I wasn't fussy about the wheels but they do grow on you. I got a little bored with the car this summer and I put on an SOS stage 2 supercharger kit. Currently I am running a conservative pulley for 10 psi. I also have a pulley rated at 14 psi for future use. This winter, the project is to install a clutch that can better handle the power. I have a brand new Act clutch kit in the box. I should have done the clutch first, but lesson learned. The car has just over 30K KM's on it. I thought the stock clutch would be fine for now since it is virtually new. It isn't bad but it will slip in 3rd or 4th at full boost. I also added an invidia exhaust. Sounds sweet with the boost. I have no plans to sell, but who knows.

I would post a photo of my baby but I don't use this site much and honestly I don't know how. I click insert image and it wants a URL. Grrrr!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM

I might be putting my 06 gpw (white with all black interior) up for sale, zero accidents, 55k. Actually you saw the car this past summer, we talked at a red light on hwy 7 I believe. Pm if you want to discuss.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Start looking in the states. Dollar is at par right now, and it makes sense to do it. Bought mine from Boston a couple years back.... There was no way I could have found one up here in the same condition for the same money.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its weird what certain cars are worth in different areas. I also bough my S2000 in the states because it was cheaper and I could not find my colour combo anywhere around here. My winter car though is way more expensive in the US... Its a Civic SiR hatchback (2002-2005) and I bought mine for 5 and a half here, but they are 8+ usually sitting around the 10k mark with super high millage. I want to sell mine for a white one but its crazy how expensive they are.

Actually for the same money as some of these SiRs down there, you can get an AP1... That makes no sense.

But thats how it goes. The market is funny that way.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent a PM to those that had cars for sale. Feel free to PM me if you are selling for a reasonable price if it meets the above mentioned criteria
Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 AM

I pmd you with an 06 S2000 New Formula Red.

People who have seen my car can vouch if not come see for youself.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the Pm guys, but unless the pricing is competitive with the states once taxes and duties are factored in, it makes no sense for me to pay more. I will pay a little bit of a premium for a car that is already registered in Canada, but nothing major.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM

if you want to pay American prices .... you're going to need to take the effort and risks associated with buying one from there.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by sanjay
if you want to pay American prices .... you're going to need to take the effort and risks associated with buying one from there.

I agree. It's hit or miss really. Nothing better than a wasted plane ticket, a couple days off work, and return plane ticket after finding out the car your going to buy is actually f'd up. Sometimes pictures just don't tell the story, so if you want to save a few bucks by buying in the USA, there is a chance that the amount you are saving is thrown out the window with one bad example of a car.

Wouldn't you rather pay a little more for something that you can see locally to your house? Makes no sense to me... but gl in your search

Quick Reply: Help me find a new "used" Honda S2000...no good ones out there?