Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Himura357
Honda has always cared about emissions and efficiency, but now it is more important to them than ever because they now compete with many hybrids and electric. V6 accord is gone and small displacement turbos are the new normal.

As Joey said, high revving will be fazed out too in place of turbos mid range power.

I think the S2000 will become even more collectable soon. The Integra Type R took off in the last year leaving the S2000 far behind in value, but the S2000 will be there soon.
I agree, the value of the S2000 has to keep appreciating now, it is just so unique among anything being offered these days.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

very, very soon, the highest revving engines on the street will belong to 2 wheeled vehicles and cars from companies that start with Ferrari.
darcy
Old 02-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's not forget the K20. I think the 8th gen SI will be the last of the high reving NA engines.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Petah78
Let's not forget the K20. I think the 8th gen SI will be the last of the high reving NA engines.
Yup the k-motors are great accomplishments.

It is sad that Ford is now making high revving motors now while Honda is not.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, don't be TOO sad just yet. People have realized the turbo engines are not really netting real world efficiency and there's a growing movement to actually go back to more efficient NA engines instead.

It's still unlikely we'll see another F20 engine again but it's been moved from brain dead to at least some brain activity for now
Old 03-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by LemonJus
Well, don't be TOO sad just yet. People have realized the turbo engines are not really netting real world efficiency and there's a growing movement to actually go back to more efficient NA engines instead.

It's still unlikely we'll see another F20 engine again but it's been moved from brain dead to at least some brain activity for now
I agree, I think many manufacturers may regret going the direct injection small turbo route. I believe the current Honda DIT engines are going to have much shorter lives than their older NA counterparts, we may start to see this in the next five years as the current engines are not working as intended.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I agree, I think many manufacturers may regret going the direct injection small turbo route. I believe the current Honda DIT engines are going to have much shorter lives than their older NA counterparts, we may start to see this in the next five years as the current engines are not working as intended.
I want to say I swear I saw an SAE paper (I'm on their mailing list) that wrote about how the auto manufacturers have all realized the turbos are just cheating the test and leading to long term failures far quicker than they expected due to the way people normally drive (ie: BOOST ALL THE TIME). The paper concluded that normally aspirated larger engines (2.5L and up) are most ideal for super high efficient engines for today's world.

Of course, I can't $#@@# find the paper anymore so treat everything I said above as #fakenews until I can give some sauce.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's the biggest complain i have with my CTR, it just doesn't sound like the high sprung vtec motors Honda were known for. The sound is part of the driving experience and this is what the ctr is lacking compared to the S2000. Lack of better word the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner honestly.
It's the trend now everyone is trying to go small turbo cars cause one of the biggest market , China , tax their cars by displacement. The easiest way to get power from a small displacement is to boost it. Honda is no different. Plus people are just addict to the turbo instant gratification, high revving old vtec engine is great for people like us but not good for masses.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by LemonJus
I want to say I swear I saw an SAE paper (I'm on their mailing list) that wrote about how the auto manufacturers have all realized the turbos are just cheating the test and leading to long term failures far quicker than they expected due to the way people normally drive (ie: BOOST ALL THE TIME). The paper concluded that normally aspirated larger engines (2.5L and up) are most ideal for super high efficient engines for today's world.

Of course, I can't $#@@# find the paper anymore so treat everything I said above as #fakenews until I can give some sauce.
I have wondered about that as every manufacturer has rushed to develop these engines despite all of their known flaws, I think they work well for testing purposes used by government bodies and the auto manufacturers know that.

On the flip side the engine in my WRX combined with the CVT tranny has poor fuel economy ratings, and Subaru engineers have stated that this combination of engine and tranny doesn't test well based on government testing procedures and real world fuel economy is much better. I have found that my real work fuel economy is much better than the fuel economy ratings even at higher speeds that I drive compared to testing speeds. Weird.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Niuniu32
that's the biggest complain i have with my CTR, it just doesn't sound like the high sprung vtec motors Honda were known for. The sound is part of the driving experience and this is what the ctr is lacking compared to the S2000. Lack of better word the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner honestly.
It's the trend now everyone is trying to go small turbo cars cause one of the biggest market , China , tax their cars by displacement. The easiest way to get power from a small displacement is to boost it. Honda is no different. Plus people are just addict to the turbo instant gratification, high revving old vtec engine is great for people like us but not good for masses.
yup even manufacturers like BMW and Ferrari turbo engines sound much worse then their old NA variants. Turbos muffle the true sound and almost never rev high.

Hold on to your high revving NA Hondas as long as you can.

Quick Reply: High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed..