Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

How you wired your DRL's

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How you wired your DRL's

Hey Guys,

I just imported an S2000, and I need to install DRLs. On my Evo-8 I just attached a wire from my ignition on 12v to the positive side of one of my headlights. Can I do that on the S2000 HIDs?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what they did but the Honda dealer I was working at at the time did it for me. I had them with my DRL's to the xenons so they are on all the time.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by E30 Girl
I'm not sure exactly what they did but the Honda dealer I was working at at the time did it for me. I had them with my DRL's to the xenons so they are on all the time.
That's what I am trying to do. Like this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/791...#entry19631372

There is a 12v ignition power under the dash that I want to connect to the HID's to make the process easy, but I am not sure how to proceed just yet. I am sure someone knows though.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Boostgod
Originally Posted by E30 Girl' timestamp='1330534079' post='21462704
That's what I am trying to do. Like this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/791...#entry19631372

There is a 12v ignition power under the dash that I want to connect to the HID's to make the process easy, but I am not sure how to proceed just yet. I am sure someone knows though.
Personally I would just take it to a shop shouldn't cost much took them maybe 30min to do it and cost me $8 for some relay and I know it is done right...two years later no problems.

I don't think they touched anything under the dash btw. I had it one by the foreman at Richmond Hill Honda if that helps.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM

I prefer to DIY if possible... also I have to do 2 so...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

I had one on my car and sold it a while ago, my car was a US import that sold 3 times without DRL's but I added them for safety as I was getting cut off all the time.

You basically add a relay that supplies ground to the light switch ( I think it is a blue/red wire behind the light switch). The relay is connected to the 12 volt that is on with ignition only spare slot in the underdash fuse panel. There are three spare slots in the underdash fuse panel, one is 12 volts 24/7, one is 12 volts with ignition on, and one is a ground. I had it grounded in an under dash location, (many places to ground it there). One power wire runs to the relay, a ground wire runs to the relay, and one wire runs from the relay to the light switch wire, as soon as you turn on the ignition it powers the relay and the relay sends ground to the light switch via the wire. Very simple and effective, and relatively cheap. Mine was a Denso relay. It was all custom made, soldered, crimped, and wired up I just had to install it. It was made by a guy at my Honda dealer. I have to check on the wire at the light switch, I recall it being blue/red, and you simply splice the wire from the relay into this light switch wire. I can double check the wire code when I get home. The whole setup was very small, about the size of a bick cig. lighter.

I later dumped that system as I didn't want to run my HID's 24/7 as they cost a fair bit of money to replace - bulbs and ballasts, and they are a constant draw on the ignition system. I then custom made an LED DRL system for my car which I now use. I have them on a switch so I can shut them down if needed but they come on with 12 v ignition. They only use 10 watts.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
You basically add a relay that supplies ground to the light switch ( I think it is a blue/red wire behind the light switch). The relay is connected to the 12 volt that is on with ignition only spare slot in the underdash fuse panel. There are three spare slots in the underdash fuse panel, one is 12 volts 24/7, one is 12 volts with ignition on, and one is a ground. I had it grounded in an under dash location, (many places to ground it there). One power wire runs to the relay, a ground wire runs to the relay, and one wire runs from the relay to the light switch wire, as soon as you turn on the ignition it powers the relay and the relay sends ground to the light switch via the wire. Very simple and effective, and relatively cheap. Mine was a Denso relay. It was all custom made, soldered, crimped, and wired up I just had to install it. It was made by a guy at my Honda dealer. I have to check on the wire at the light switch, I recall it being blue/red, and you simply splice the wire from the relay into this light switch wire. I can double check the wire code when I get home. The whole setup was very small, about the size of a bick cig. lighter.
Thanks for the very helpful info. Want to sell your old setup to me?

This is exactly what I want to do. Easy, simple, cheap and running with the HIDs. Does anyone have a how-to or a diagram on exactly how to do this?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM

I have the wiring that I used to set up my DRL.
I pulled it out of the car after passing inspection. Has been sitting for 4 years.
I believe I used the hamsar relay module... and used headlight wires from a junk yard civic. This way I didn't need to cut the OEM ones.
You can have it for a small fee is you want to come pick it up. PM me for details if interested
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostgod
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1330537600' post='21462916

Thanks for the very helpful info. Want to sell your old setup to me?

This is exactly what I want to do. Easy, simple, cheap and running with the HIDs. Does anyone have a how-to or a diagram on exactly how to do this?

Sorry, I sold my little relay setup after I switched to the new setup, the guy who bought it off me was happier than a pig in proverbial crap as it was so easy to install. I could easily draw up a diagram for you though, I'll see what I can do for you. I have my entire dash torn apart right now too as I'm waiting for me instrument cluster LED upgrade to be sent back to me. I've got a picture of the underdash power source below.

My relay was made by Denso, do a search around if you can and see if you can find one on the internet somewhere, in put is 12v and the output is ground. Two wires going in (12 volt and ground) one wire going out (ground). This relay is used in many Hondas, my Honda parts guy found it in his supply system. Power up the relay at the 12 volt underdash fuse box spare port/slot by crimping a female electrical connector to the power wire and plugging it into the underdash fuse box. Bolt the ground wire from the relay to one of a few ground locations in and around the underdash area, lots to choose from, then the output wire goes to the wire behind the light switch - spliced. Pull off the plastic surrounds on the steering wheel, find the switch behind the lighting stalk , unravel the wiring loom behind the light switch and find the blue/red wire and that is the one you splice into.

This is the 12 volt source with ignition turned on, spare port/slot in the underdash fuse box. There are three spare slots there, the lowest of the three is the 12 volt with ignition, which is where you want to draw power for the relay. You can see my red/black power wire connected to the 12 volt ignition spare port simply using a female wire connector on the end of my power wire, it slides onto the male spade that is on the spare port. hth.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm not sure I would wire drl to the headlights, the way mine is setup is that it's run to the amber corner markers, which is a legal form of drl. This way you can still have the option of turning the headlights on and off when you want.

Quick Reply: How you wired your DRL's