Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

import info?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default import info?

i have a s2000 sitting in my garage right now in toronto. it's registered to california. whats the easiest way to get it switched over to a canadian car? the car has aftermarket exhaust tips, are they going to hassle me about it when going through this?

any help would be awesome
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have Daylight running lights? If not, you'll need that.

Outside of that, it's compliant to Canadian standards.

You'll need to register with RIV, have it inspected it at Canadian Tire (not a safety but a specific import inspection).

Safety
Insurance
Get plates/stickers/registered/pay remaining GST that wasn't paid at the border.

Done.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM

i have hid headlights in right now, with yellow high beams.( i guess im going to need stock ones) am i supposed to return to the boarder? they let me through as a visitor, so i didn't pay anything yet.

Originally Posted by iDomN8U

You'll need to register with RIV, have it inspected it at Canadian Tire (not a safety but a specific import inspection).

Safety
Insurance
Get plates/stickers/registered/pay remaining GST that wasn't paid at the border.

Done.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samson123
i have hid headlights in right now, with yellow high beams.( i guess im going to need stock ones) am i supposed to return to the boarder? they let me through as a visitor, so i didn't pay anything yet.

Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1453313050' post='23857949

Safety
Insurance

Done.
Daylight running lights are lights that turn on automatically when the car is turned on. I believe 06+ US have this feature. There are modules you can run that power the highbeams at 30%, you'll need to wire it in. I however just powered the front turn lamps using the iginition power from the fuse box with a 5A fuse inline, once I passed I ripped it out when I got home.

You will need to fax the US customs border (the one you'll be visiting) the intent to import the vehicle, check RIV on what needs to be faxed. Once you do that, you have to wait 48 hours. After that you drive to the border, and explain what you need to do, they should be able to direct you. They will give you a paper allowing export. You take that paper with bill of sale, and other pieces of info to the Canadian border customs and declare the car. You pay partial taxes and they give you a bunch of paper work.

RIV will send you the stickers that need to be applied to the car as imported (forgot if you do the Car import inspection first or get the stickers).

Setup an appointment with Canadian Tire for a Car Import review (Cost is included when you pay your RIV fee's), might as well get the saftey at the same time.

Get Canadian insurance

Go to the Ministry and get plates and pay the remained of the Tax (I believe it's the 7%)

That covers most of it, however it's been documented thoroughly here in other threads.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Ok. Thanks so much for your help

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by samson123' timestamp='1453313668' post='23857958

[quote name='iDomN8U' timestamp='1453313050' post='23857949']

Safety
Insurance

Done.
Daylight running lights are lights that turn on automatically when the car is turned on. I believe 06+ US have this feature. There are modules you can run that power the highbeams at 30%, you'll need to wire it in. I however just powered the front turn lamps using the iginition power from the fuse box with a 5A fuse inline, once I passed I ripped it out when I got home.

You will need to fax the US customs border (the one you'll be visiting) the intent to import the vehicle, check RIV on what needs to be faxed. Once you do that, you have to wait 48 hours. After that you drive to the border, and explain what you need to do, they should be able to direct you. They will give you a paper allowing export. You take that paper with bill of sale, and other pieces of info to the Canadian border customs and declare the car. You pay partial taxes and they give you a bunch of paper work.

RIV will send you the stickers that need to be applied to the car as imported (forgot if you do the Car import inspection first or get the stickers).

Setup an appointment with Canadian Tire for a Car Import review (Cost is included when you pay your RIV fee's), might as well get the saftey at the same time.

Get Canadian insurance

Go to the Ministry and get plates and pay the remained of the Tax (I believe it's the 7%)

That covers most of it, however it's been documented thoroughly here in other threads.
[/quote]
Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

Can verify what Dom has said is all correct, great info!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Oh, your car is already in Canada. That might make it more complicated if your plan is to plate it here. Has it already by properly imported to canada? Reported imported on the US side? Taxes paid?

cars '06 and up came with DRL's and literally don't require anything apart from filling out the RIV forms.

Remember to fax the car information to the US side of your crossing point 72 hours in advance (that's what i did). Also, one other thing US customs asked for was proof that I actually faxed them when I said I did- thankfully I took the fax record along with me. They don't tell you that specifically.

If you don't fax, you can just drop it off personally, but that means the car does not get to cross for 72 hours (again, the time frame I was told to use).

I've done this as has jvf1- mine an '03 and his, an '08- but again- from US to CAN. On the US side, they stamped the title as being exported.

darcy
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dom has the correct info. If the car was not exported from the USA via USA customs, you are stuck at that step. All the rest hinges on proper exportation.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just google it.. this question pretty much get answered in every car forum
But then looking at the current exchange rate, why not just settle for one in Canada
I don't mean just Ontario, go on autotrader and select National wide, there are quite a few awesome deals
Plus, you get the Canadian car with the temperature displayed in Celsius as opposed to Fahrenheit on the dash

Quick Reply: import info?