Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Mechanic Overfilled Oil

Old 05-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
All oil filters should only be hand tightened until its snug (with the exception of Cartidge style filters). The rubber gasket will expand while the engine runs anyway. If its too tight and you don't have enough man beef to loosen it by hand a generic band style filter wrench will be the best bet without crushing the end of the filter.
Go to your local Canadian Tire and just get a filter wrench. Start doing your own changes after.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I had some graphite filter wrenches but they seem to strip after a while, I bought the Honda filter tool after my graphite wrench broke and I was in a bind. I spent too much money on the Honda filter wrench from the dealer but it works the best.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought one off eBay for 5 bux shipped. It was a "CTA Tools A257 Oil Filter Wrench 80mm 3/8" Drive - Cap Style, 15 Flutes"

Might be able to get something similar from Napa/Canadian tire
Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
I bought one off eBay for 5 bux shipped. It was a "CTA Tools A257 Oil Filter Wrench 80mm 3/8" Drive - Cap Style, 15 Flutes"

Might be able to get something similar from Napa/Canadian tire
Those ones work well as they are made of metal and won't strip, I've used them before with good success. Great deal !
Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the last time I changed the oil on my car, I almost couldn't get the oil filter out by hand even thought I put it on with bare hands which suppresses me about the stories of oil filters coming off.

Sent from my LT30a using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2014, 08:19 AM

I took care of it all guys.

I purchased a filter wrench ($50) and bought a Torque Wrench on sale at Canadian Tire. I did the filter thing, took me about 4-5 times and I eventually got 500ml out, which was perfect to get me to hashmark 4 on the dipstick when checked hot (5 min after cool down), and at the oil covering the "H" when checked cold next morning. I'm good here, yes?

It was very easy, going to learn how to do all this myself. I need to watch someone do it once and I'll be good.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NewFormula

I purchased a filter wrench ($50) and bought a Torque Wrench on sale at Canadian Tire. I did the filter thing, took me about 4-5 times and I eventually got 500ml out, which was perfect to get me to hashmark 4 on the dipstick when checked hot (5 min after cool down), and at the oil covering the "H" when checked cold next morning. I'm good here, yes?

It was very easy, going to learn how to do all this myself. I need to watch someone do it once and I'll be good.

Thanks guys!
Always check both sides of the dipstick, dip check, clean, dip, check both sides again. The lowest side is correct.

At the H is fine. Probably 100/200ml over, no problem.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by NewFormula

Thanks guys!
Good work !, the price of the filter wrench is tough to swallow but it makes the job much easier. You don't really need a torque wrench as you can use the integrated hashmarks on the outside surface of the Honda filter to get to 7/8th of a turn , but a torque wrench works fine too. I figured you'd have to dump the filter a few times, but not that many, at least you got it done.

Enjoy your future oil changes, you'll recoup the cost of that filter wrench quite quickly by doing the changes yourself.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM

I would have made speed star drive to my house to fix this, why should you be at a loss for hours of your time for their f@#k up.
But agree with everyone else do it yourself !!!!

Glad u sorted it out yourself!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM

They gave me a pretty good service credit and apologized profusely. I'm Hoping they raise their bar a little, moving forward.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Overfilled Oil