Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New laws - Distracted Driving

Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could offer up a way to solve the flow of vehicle traffic, and add the space for all the bike lanes you suggest, you would be a very wealthy man. Especially considering the city is hundreds of years old and was built like this well over 100 years ago, and is hard to modify it now to withstand all of this (traffic, bike, transit etc).
Old 06-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
If you could offer up a way to solve the flow of vehicle traffic, and add the space for all the bike lanes you suggest, you would be a very wealthy man. Especially considering the city is hundreds of years old and was built like this well over 100 years ago, and is hard to modify it now to withstand all of this (traffic, bike, transit etc).
Agreed. Hamilton is similar in that regard. They added the bike lanes to side roads that were parallel to major roads. This way you minimize cyclist on the more busy intersections since they would take the adjacent bike lane until they they reached the intersection they needed, thus reducing risk traveling far distance on a congested lane. Sacrificing one road for the greater safety of another road is a win win. As commuters will be able to travel faster due to less lane restrictions/slower traffic, cyclist gain a road for themselves. You do this every few blocks I would imagine everyone will adapt and win.

Of course I make it sound much easier then it is and I'm not even a resident But I don't see a flaw with this logic.

Then again, i'm counting on the hoverboard to be 100% in the next 2-3 years
Old 06-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Fines should never be a marketing avenue or a revenue generating aspect. I'd be curious to see how many tickets were issues for dooring or not sharing the road with cyclist, probably minimal.

I don't know if they do this in TO, but in Hamilton there are bike lanes with concrete and reflectors that give 100% road access to cyclists (this is about half a lane). Last time I was downtown TO, I did not see any of that.
Yeah, in Toronto, we're lucky to even get "sparrows" where there's a painted line to separate bikes. The only separated bike lane is on Sherbourne, but it doesn't work when you just have one. On some of the main arteries, they've started putting semi-separated lanes with plastic vertical tabs every few metres to "separate" traffic, which is an improvement.

Ideally, separated bike lanes are the safest. When I was biking in Copenhagen, it was amazing. Ttey also had their own lanes and traffic lights and everyone obeyed road rules.

As for helmets, the evidence doesn't actually support that they improve safety on a population level (of course, they do offer the minimum protection if you fall off your bike). Fining peeps for helmets (like in BC) also deters ppl from riding, whereas we know there's "safety in numbers" - so if a lot of ppl ride, then both cyclists and drivers become more aware, and safety increases. Again, in Copenhagen, no one wore I helmet as far as I could see, and there were way more bikes than cars.

Which comes to my last point, as oblivious as drivers are, there are probably at least as many horrible cyclists in Toronto who blatantly disregard traffic rules and/or pull dangerous sh1t on the roads.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1433338788' post='23634594
Fines should never be a marketing avenue or a revenue generating aspect. I'd be curious to see how many tickets were issues for dooring or not sharing the road with cyclist, probably minimal.

I don't know if they do this in TO, but in Hamilton there are bike lanes with concrete and reflectors that give 100% road access to cyclists (this is about half a lane). Last time I was downtown TO, I did not see any of that.
Yeah, in Toronto, we're lucky to even get "sparrows" where there's a painted line to separate bikes. The only separated bike lane is on Sherbourne, but it doesn't work when you just have one. On some of the main arteries, they've started putting semi-separated lanes with plastic vertical tabs every few metres to "separate" traffic, which is an improvement.

Ideally, separated bike lanes are the safest. When I was biking in Copenhagen, it was amazing. Ttey also had their own lanes and traffic lights and everyone obeyed road rules.

As for helmets, the evidence doesn't actually support that they improve safety on a population level (of course, they do offer the minimum protection if you fall off your bike). Fining peeps for helmets (like in BC) also deters ppl from riding, whereas we know there's "safety in numbers" - so if a lot of ppl ride, then both cyclists and drivers become more aware, and safety increases. Again, in Copenhagen, no one wore I helmet as far as I could see, and there were way more bikes than cars.

Which comes to my last point, as oblivious as drivers are, there are probably at least as many horrible cyclists in Toronto who blatantly disregard traffic rules and/or pull dangerous sh1t on the roads.
Back to my point, spread out 1000 cyclist over multiple roads and you don't have numbers. Create dedicated lanes every few blocks, following major arteries and now you're talking, you'll have numbers. Commuters will avoid those roads just like cyclist will avoid the major roads until needed.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well f@#k, guess I have to sell my skateboard now.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C63AMG
Well f@#k, guess I have to sell my skateboard now.
Hover boards included
Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even out in Halton Hills. I want to go for a drive and there they are in the middle, yes the actual middle of the road and they don't move. Talk about owning the road. Infuriating.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you run an idiot cyclist over and nobody sees, did it really happen?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't give me any ideas