Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Official Southern Ontario Chat Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 3,470 Likes on 2,495 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1477166638' post='24089801
Nice end of season drive today with Nick, Jinder, and Martin after some garage work at Nick's place.
Missed out on the photo shoot

Sure did, I have to find that bridge some day, it makes for a good picture
Old 10-22-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to see an 30K KM AP1, very clean, matching VINs, no signs of accidents or anything. However the drivers seat bolster seemed to be worn too much for a car with only 30k on the odometer. The plastic trim on the centre console where the base of the hand rests on was also worn out significantly. Could these be signs of odometer tampering?

The car's interior compared to my daily driven 2015 IS350 with just under 30k KM shows much more signs of wear. Does anyone else's plastic trim by the shifter wear out that fast?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by lc300
Went to see an 30K KM AP1, very clean, matching VINs, no signs of accidents or anything. However the drivers seat bolster seemed to be worn too much for a car with only 30k on the odometer. The plastic trim on the centre console where the base of the hand rests on was also worn out significantly. Could these be signs of odometer tampering?

The car's interior compared to my daily driven 2015 IS350 with just under 30k KM shows much more signs of wear. Does anyone else's plastic trim by the shifter wear out that fast?
I find driver seat bolster is more a function of the person sitting in the seat - their size and how they enter and exit the vehicle - more than the age of the seat. I see lots of ap2's with worn out driver seats that look much worse than ap1's. Seat wear is also affected by the clothing people wear, and how the seat is used in terms of rake and sliding location , which affects how the owner rubs on the seat each time they enter and exit.

The plastic trim on ap1 consoles flakes, many owners take off the factory coating to make it look more uniform once it starts to flake. This is very common. I also see odd wear patterns on things like shifters, steering wheels, and consoles if the owner wears rings on their fingers and watches on their wrists.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by lc300' timestamp='1477182720' post='24089915

I find driver seat bolster is more a function of the person sitting in the seat - their size and how they enter and exit the vehicle - more than the age of the seat. I see lots of ap2's with worn out driver seats that look much worse than ap1's. Seat wear is also affected by the clothing people wear, and how the seat is used in terms of rake and sliding location , which affects how the owner rubs on the seat each time they enter and exit.

The plastic trim on ap1 consoles flakes, many owners take off the factory coating to make it look more uniform once it starts to flake. This is very common. I also see odd wear patterns on things like shifters, steering wheels, and consoles if the owner wears rings on their fingers and watches on their wrists.
Great information! Just what I was looking for.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1477183340' post='24089919
[quote name='lc300' timestamp='1477182720' post='24089915']

Great information! Just what I was looking for.
[/quote]

If the rest of the car looks good I would not shy away because of the driver seat and console issue. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 345 Likes on 280 Posts

open that valve cover as well and inspect the retainers.

good luck with the search.

darcy
Old 10-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 345 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
Side note, I've been running Z2's now for almost 3 years and I'm not entirely a fan of how loud they become one they're close to being worn out.

I refuse to run anything less than an extreme performance tire on this car, so those of you with RE-71R's, what you thoughts? They're $7 cheaper each (LOL) but I'm curious to know how those of you who street your cars like them.
i really like the z2's as well.

Ask jvf1 about RE-71R performance (wicked good) and durability (7000 km bad) .

darcy
Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
Side note, I've been running Z2's now for almost 3 years and I'm not entirely a fan of how loud they become one they're close to being worn out.

I refuse to run anything less than an extreme performance tire on this car, so those of you with RE-71R's, what you thoughts? They're $7 cheaper each (LOL) but I'm curious to know how those of you who street your cars like them.
If you don't like loud tires, you'll hate RE-71's. They are the loudest tires I've ever had. But they are grippy. Def won't get 3 years out of them though.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haga888
Originally Posted by fernando.' timestamp='1477166206' post='24089795

If you don't like loud tires, you'll hate RE-71's. They are the loudest tires I've ever had. But they are grippy. Def won't get 3 years out of them though.
Agree with 100% - especially when they aren't warmed up!
The grip on them is really amazing though so I would trade the noise for grip any day of the week!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

i really like the z2's as well.

Ask jvf1 about RE-71R performance (wicked good) and durability (7000 km bad) .

darcy
Yup
Great grip, but mine are almost done after one season (including 3500km on the Dragon trip)
Rears still have a bit of life left in them but the fronts are quite worn from camber and I had them flipped half way through the season to try to even them out.
Certainly not enough life left for next Spring's Dragon trip so not sure what I will do.
Still love these tires though.