Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Raikkonen Brilliant Victory!! Schumacher Stupid Move!!

Old 03-23-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raikkonen Brilliant Victory!! Schumacher Stupid Move!!

Fantastic and deserved victory for Finnish Star Kimi Raikkonen. Should have won two weeks ago and France last year. Mika would be proud. Wait for the MP4-18!

Michael Schumacher's poor decision is not the first time he has tried to run others off the road. Memories of Hill and Villeneuve, both on the decisive last races of the year. Aggressive is one thing. Stupidly over-aggressive is another. Even Speed's David Hobbs, who wears knee pads around Michael, clearly criticized this shameless move.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:27 AM

I didnt see what he did as trying to run anyone off the track; in fact, Michael lost his nose in the process.

I do not see why anyone would think that either...it was a mess of cars..

As well, I agree that in the past Michael HAS tried to run people off the track, and although its not sportman like, I agree with those attempts.

This whole thing is about winning. Michael is paid billions of dollars to win. If he cannot win the championship by driving the perfect race, it is still his job to win. If that means forcing someone off, then, well <flame suit on>, so be it. Not pretty. Not nice. But he isnt paid to be pretty and nice. I would do the same 10 times out of 10. Its his job.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:04 AM

He went to the inside of the turn, where there was clearly no room, in fact the car in front of him was already hugging the curb. He caused the accident by not controlling his speed. F-1 officials therefore gave him a drive through penalty for causing the accident. He was wrong. He caused your "mess of cars". The loss of his nose was therefore his own fault.

Watch it in slow-mo - you are wrong. F-1 normally sides with Ferrari and they gave him a deserved penalty.

There will always be people who feel winning by any means is acceptable/fair. Let me borrow a quote "I do not see why anyone would think that." Although, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think pumping your arms as you cross the finish line and spraying champagne in "victory" when your team-mate has pulled over to let you pass (multiple times) lacks class, as does deliberately running people off the road.

Also, he isn't paid billions, about 40-50 million USD per year. So you are wrong again.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Former Moderator

Well I agee with Mika in that Schumi was the cause of the pile up..it was clear that he had no room, but instead of yeilding he went anyway.

It was a great win for Raikonnen, but I gotta admit I was pulling for Alonso through most of the race..
Old 03-23-2003, 11:36 AM

Yeah, for a guy with a fever and 50 degrees C in the car, he did incredibly well. His car was strong and he was quoted post race as saying it was the happiest day of his life. Winning isn't everything. Ralf Schumacher finished well also.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:25 AM

Holly crap Mika, you need to relax.

I *never* said that he wasnt the cause, go read it again. He absolutely was the cause.

I said he was not trying to *run someone off the road* like you claimed, which is a rediculus statement for the second lap of the race. If needed, he'd have done it later, but in the first or second lap, not a fricken chance.

And as far as pumping his arms when someone else pulls over, Im not sure I ever saw that (but Im not saying it didnt happen). As far as celebrating a win that certainly wasnt his, if winning the championship is his only goal, than the greater points would be worth celebrating. We all recall that he pulled over for Rubens aswell later in the year.

He is paid to do win the championship. I agree that sometimes the methods are downright unsportsman like, and I agree that sometimes when he wins, it has been a gift, but THIS IS FERRARIS STANCE, THIS IS TEAM ORDERS. THESE ARE NOT NECESSARILY ONLY MICHAELS.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me just say, I'm glad Kimi won, he has had this coming for a long time. He is a better sportsman that David C, and I suspect a better driver as well.

This year is going to be a very exciting year. Although some of the new rules are still a little odd, I'm sure as the season progresses I will warm up to them more. It still seems weird to me that a car that qualified first might be way slower than a car that qualified third, but I do understand why with pit stop strategy being the decisive factor.

I will not get into the Michael right or wrong issue, but I will say I have always given drivers a bit more leniency in my evaluation of their performance if they have had an incident at the first corner on the opening lap. Racing is racing, you make split nanosecond decisions and sometimes a few seconds later you realize that was not a good idea, but at that point you are committed. Sometime it may clearly look like someone's fault, and may in fact be, but how easy it is for us to sit in the comfort of our living room chair and pass judgment. Believe me, things happen very quickly out on the track and you can't always retract a decision that has been made. Racing is racing.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:37 AM

I am also glad that Kimi won. He seems like one hellofadriver. I wonder how long it will take for Montoya to step up again???

I am loving these new rules also, although it does introduce a certain degree of randomness into the mix. I can understand why Ferrari, with the best car and likely the best driver, doesnt like them.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:58 AM

I'm not going to try to turn this into a "Is it a Router thread Part ll". Biobanker and I have met socially, and he seems a good guy. Driving into the side of F1 car, with it's delicate suspension, is effectively taking away that cars chance of finishing on the podium. Without a doubt. There is no difference b/w that and running them off the road.

Telling someone they need to relax, and calling their simple statement ridiculous is, IMO, impolite. But nothing to fight over.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:12 AM

Mika, all in reaction to what I read as an attack upon my post.

Sorry if I came off impolite, not my intention. I just love my Michael, even if he is an ass on the track. I intrepreted your statement that the incident that occurred, which I agree was Michael's fault, was intentional. Running someone off the track is not the same as accidently hitting someone off the track. I believe the incident resulted from Michael misjudging the situation, and not from him making a conscious decision to do what he did (which HAS occured in the past). There is a big difference in my mind.

I see where you are coming from now; and from your view, I agree with your statement.

Quick Reply: Raikkonen Brilliant Victory!! Schumacher Stupid Move!!