Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

S2000 or Boxster

Old 10-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default S2000 or Boxster

I was out cruising on Saturday and dropped by a Porsche dealer for something to do. Excellant sales guy who was trying to convince me that I would be much happier with a Boxster. Aside from the 16 large difference He summed it up by saying two words "trunk space" He had nothing bad to say about the S2000 but felt that if I bought the Porsche I would never regret it but might if I went for the Honda. The old no torque story !!

He was really shocked when I told him that my Vintage racing associates (alll Porsche racers) told me to go for the Honda. I have already talked to Peter at Castle and I will be going in next month to work out the details. He says they will be putting in for their quota on December 15th so if anyone wants to get one for April now is the time to visit your local Honda store. Any thoughts ???
Old 10-15-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the Honda!
What about pricing? Were you comparing S vs. S?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:23 PM

As far as trunk space goes, the S2000 rules

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=83084

As far as which to pick, it depends on what you want. Do you want the faster car, the one that handles better, the one that looks sweeter the one that costs less, the one that is more reliable? If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, then you want the S2000.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:23 PM

that.....the boxster is the poor mans porsche.....

all the posrche owners would be lookin and laughing at you...ha ha look at that guy he can only afford a boxster...j/k

seriously i still say the s2000 is the better car...performance and looks
Old 10-15-2002, 01:30 PM

Maggiemae, best thing I can say is take both for a drive...the one that is for you will let you know. I was pretty set on a Z3 3.0 before I bought the S2000. One test drive is all it took to change my mind , as the car connected with me immediately.

If you want some non biased information, this may help:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddrive...?keywords=s2000

It is a little old, but I do not think the boxster has changed much, I know the S2000 has not.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 PM

Boxster is just about as much fun to drive as the S2000. In some ways, it can be more fun since you don't have to be so mindful of it at all times... It's not quite as sharp edged, but that doesn't mean it doesn't handle as well. They drive differently, which is better depends on what you like.

The Boxster does have a sweet exhaust note that a (stock, at least) S2000 can't match...IMHO at least. I do like the sound of the little engine...but I like the Porsche's better.

Also, with the Boxster, when someone asks what you drive, you can answer "Porsche" to the oohs and ahs of all the jealous high school kids When you answer "S2000", most people either reply "a what?" or "that's like a Miata, right?"
Old 10-15-2002, 01:51 PM

The difference really comes down to attitude, and attitude alone. Yeah, the S2000 is probably the higher performance car. Yeah, its cheaper, I dont know if its better looking, but Im pretty sure its more reliable.

But the Boxster (base or S) doesnt have the race car feeling that the S2000 has. The driver is certainly less involved with the actual car. To many, those are detriments. To most of us, that is why we bought S2000s and not Boxsters.

Personally, I dont know if the S2000 is a better driving experience than the Boxster. But I do know that its more exciting and it gives me giggles each and every day. I can say the same about Integra Type Rs. Those are cheaper than S2000s, but provide the same thrill that I could not get when I was driving a Carerra 4 a while back (I didnt own it).

Its all attitude. I happen to like the S2000s attitude. Most do not. And that is why we see way more Boxsters than S2000s. I am sure if Honda had a gazillion people in line for S2000s they would do one of two things. Make a gazillion, or raise the price such that the supply and demand equated. I think that the demand meets the supply at the current price because most people would not like our cars.

Only my $0.02
Old 10-15-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the input don't get me wrong there was never any doubt which way I was going. I have lots of Porsche time so I can speak from experience and a friend who owns several Porsche's says Most Porsche owners wear the car on their sleeves ! it is a status thing. I have driven both cars as well as most of the competition and the Honda wins hands down on every count except trunk space !!

Is anyone going to the Auto cross on Sunday ??
Old 10-15-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by MAGGIEMAE
Is anyone going to the Auto cross on Sunday ??
So long as the weather holds, I will be there.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone else mentioned it above....it's all about "connection"......

i feel one with the car when i'm driving the S2000....it's an intuitive experience.

hell, the 2 other cars we have will blow the S2000 away......but i still enjoy the S2000 the most ( i even drive it winter).

i've driven most high end production cars (some even at length), and the only car that comes close to the S2000 is the Ferrari 348.....that's why i REALLY want one - i can get my ferrari fix and a car that i won't find annoying to drive - all in one shot - and its about the same price as a new boxster

try driving a 911TT or a 360 Modena....it's not as much fun as one might think...it's too much "work"....the boxster kind of falls into that category, for me at least.....

my "daily" car has to be an extension of me.......

Quick Reply: S2000 or Boxster