Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

TMP Money Grabbing

Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know most people arnt earning more money that's for sure lol
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reapur
I know most people arnt earning more money that's for sure lol
That, in my opinion, is the f@#ked up thing. On average people are making less, working more, and spending more to just live. Middle class disappearing every year. Lets not get this thread too political though . $70 for 4 hours is still a good deal I feel. Shannonville is far, and if priced competitively, too many cars on the track.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Ten years ago I used to rent out Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan for an entire weekday, and then I invited a bunch of guys to attend and chip in for the cost of the rental. It was $2,500 for a full weekday 9am-5pm. That was an awesome time, I did that once a year for about 4 years in a row. Lots of fun and it brought down the price of the track days to a very affordable amount.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 AM

I guess one thing that bothers me and this is of course no fault to the track owners specifically, but there doesn't seem to be any "support" or encouragment for young kids to attend tracking events. Think of all the wreckless activity on the roads and street racing. For me, a track experience was an eye opening experience and my street driving has become much more timid.

But how is a young kid supposed to afford to go to the track when they can barely afford their insurance? It just seems like a vicious circle that encourages more deviant behaviour than anything else. There are many valuable lessons to be learned at tracks and I feel they are too far out of reach for those who need them most.

Ex.
youth gets drivers license
->youth speeds and drives careless on streets
->youth is killed in wreckless accident or -> youth is fined and insurance rate spikes
->youth drops out of school to work more hours or ->youth attempts to drive without license
->youth is then caught again and heavily fined or imprisoned.

Vs.

Youth gets drivers license -> youth attends affordable tracking event -> youth learns to respect his vehicle and street laws.

Education is key, slapping wrists and enforcing punishment teaches nothing.

Maybe you guys live in a different world, but over here the average youth makes about $10/hour for 20-30 hours a week. Christ MY income makes it difficult for me to budget tracking expenses and I work more than fulltime.

I know I'm rambling but that's what forums are for right?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their fundamental problem is marketing (IMO). I think it can be a very profitable business otherwise no one would be doing it.

70 for 4 hours (which we know goes on for longer, it's never exactly 4 hours) isn't a big pill to swallow.

If the youth can afford a car and insurance, then they can afford a few track events each year. Don't buy a pair of jeans and don't watch a couple movies at the theatre.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CR EH
I guess one thing that bothers me and this is of course no fault to the track owners specifically, but there doesn't seem to be any "support" or encouragment for young kids to attend tracking events. Think of all the wreckless activity on the roads and street racing. For me, a track experience was an eye opening experience and my street driving has become much more timid.

But how is a young kid supposed to afford to go to the track when they can barely afford their insurance? It just seems like a vicious circle that encourages more deviant behaviour than anything else. There are many valuable lessons to be learned at tracks and I feel they are too far out of reach for those who need them most.

Ex.
youth gets drivers license
->youth speeds and drives careless on streets
->youth is killed in wreckless accident or -> youth is fined and insurance rate spikes
->youth drops out of school to work more hours or ->youth attempts to drive without license
->youth is then caught again and heavily fined or imprisoned.

Vs.

Youth gets drivers license -> youth attends affordable tracking event -> youth learns to respect his vehicle and street laws.

Education is key, slapping wrists and enforcing punishment teaches nothing.

Maybe you guys live in a different world, but over here the average youth makes about $10/hour for 20-30 hours a week. Christ MY income makes it difficult for me to budget tracking expenses and I work more than fulltime.

I know I'm rambling but that's what forums are for right?
I agree.
I am not even a young gun anymore!
After Tracking. Driving fast on the streets isn't nearly as appealing!
Tracking was amazing!
Driving fast on public roads just meant it was harder for onlookers to stare at my car lol (I joke but no really)

Everyone asks what's your top speed on the track? It's always sorta funny cause depending on the track. 140 150 is pretty fast when your coming up to a tigh corner. But on a wide open highway, it's a joke!
Really makes you respect speed.

I am gonna bring my kid to a tracking event. When I have one. I am sure it's gonna change their view on cars. Laws etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have to fund that new tiki bar they put on the strip lmao
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o'malley_808
They have to fund that new tiki bar they put on the strip lmao
This is my biggest peeve with them, considering all that wood could have gone into repairing the grand stand, or the money could have went into fixing the millions of pot holes in the parking lot......
They only seem to put money into things there, that will make them more money in the end. Not fixing and maintaining. I guess until someone falls through the stands.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM

Price goes up, still the best deal around. Some will whine, but they'll still go.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Time Attack
$160
(Must Pre-Register*)
Gate admission additional ($20) <- bullshit

Really guys? This is affordable to you? Just for a time attack event? Sigh...