Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

What are ups & downs for UT in Austin?

Old 02-26-2005, 04:13 AM

Received 436 Likes on 313 Posts
Default What are ups & downs for UT in Austin?

I lived in Austin in my formative years but left Austin long time ago. UT Austin in my view seemed much more relaxed than some schools in Northeast. If anyone would like to share some insights, I would appreciate it. My son is seriously considering going to UT Austin. Any input about safety, school atmosphere, learning environment and life in general would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is he thinking about studying?

Its consistently been ranked one of the best values in the country. The business school is obviously top notch, and the Engineering and CS programs are excellent as well. Granted, it IS a big school. That really has to be someones thing, otherwise they probably won't like it.

Unless I was female, I wouldn't worry about safety, as far as the campus goes. Just like any college, someone can get THEMSELVES into trouble, but otherwise its pretty safe.

All I can say is I love it. I'm not HUGE on partying, so Austin doesn't appeal to me like it does to a lot of college students, but people are generally pretty nice and its easy to make friends.

Blake
Old 02-26-2005, 03:46 PM

Blake,

Your comments are helpful and appreciated. Partying is not something my son is interested in either. I guess a big classroom with several hundred students jammed in for a lecture in Biology is what I am somewhat concerned about. I know UT is a great school. Austin is such a nice university town. Thank you!

John
Old 02-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Hi John,

Your son could take some of the lower-level classes at a Austin Community College campus for his first year. That does a few things such as saving money, avoiding the huge classroom environment for basically weed-out classes, plus it helps acclimate him with Austin and establish state residency.

Let me know if you have any other questions about UT or ACC, as I've attended both.

Ken
Old 02-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

The lower level classes are going to be huge just about anywhere. Once you get into the upper level stuff, they shrink significantly. My upper level electives have less than 20 people in them.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:54 AM

Guys,

I really appreciate your comments. I will share this with my son. The fact that classes are going to be quite large I suppose is inevitable for the lower level classes. At least that is a good warning. Thank you! If you are a state resident, how much should I expect to spend for 1 year of education including tuition, room & board, books and etc. I don't think he will be driving in his first year. I just want to get some idea as to how much I can expect to spend.

John,
Old 02-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

I don't see the bill directly, and it really depends on what he's studying. I'm pretty sure for me, in Computer Science, my parents pay around $3500 a semester, not including room and board, plus $2-300 for books a semester.

I don't know how much room and board runs.

Blake
Old 02-27-2005, 12:19 PM

Wow, tution has really went up since I went there. Of course I was staying in an expensive off-campus dorm (Castillian) that didn't help save money.

John, many of the lower level classes have a couple graduate students that are assigned to group of students and are required to meet outside of lecture once a week, so it's not that bad. You can basically double the tution Blake pays to know what it'll cost for an out of state student. UT does offer flat-rate tution for certain majors, allowing a student to take a class or two over the normal full load and pay a certain fee. Also, I highly suggest a campus visit to see if he'll like the area.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:17 AM

I went to Indiana University and there are a few things I can contribute.

1) Any school over 10k undergrad population is going to have huge lectures for the first 2 years. Class sizes don't get smaller at these institutions until your junior year. The positive is it is a great environment for meeting new people all the time

2) Your son may not be into partying now but social atmosphere is something to consider regardless of whether you think he is into it now or not. When he gets 'total freedom' he'll do his share of partying because thats most likely what his college friends will do and its only natural.

3) Are you out of state? If you are not a Texas resident and his GPA isn't at least a 3.5-3.8 you can forget about UT Austin because of the top 10% rule (UT Austin is admits the top 10% of students from all texas high schools that apply which means their out of state admissions are limited if not non-existant). You'd most likely be wasting his time and your money by even applying as a result of this. I recommend Indiana University - Bloomington from experiance - one of the top business, education, and SPEA schools in the country, great social atmosphere, larger school - 36,000 undergrad, large out of state population (more diversity) and all around a great place for life experiance. PM Me if you'd like more information

GO HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=AustinS2k2003,Mar 5 2005, 11:17 AM]I went to Indiana University and there are a few things I can contribute.

1)

Quick Reply: What are ups & downs for UT in Austin?