Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Adios Clutch

Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adios Clutch

so yeah turns out clutch is about to kick the bucket... thinking of replacing myself. Shop i go to is askin' ~$1500 (flywheel and tax included).

so any recommendations if i do do (haha) it myself? Like stock clutch or not or a certain shop that does it for marbles?

all forums are from like 2001 so any input would be appreciated.

(2001 ap1)
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM

It is a giant pain in the ass to do it yourself, especially on jack stands. I have done mine and a few others now, but I used a lift all of the times. As far as the clutch goes, What are your plans for the car? Do you ever plan to go FI, because that will help you decide which clutch to run.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 PM

For some reason, when my clutch goes out, I want to get an SOS Sport Clutch and either an AP1 flywheel or the light weight flywheel from SOS. I don't know why I want it, and I haven't done any research, but I do.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 AM

No real big plans for the car, just want her to run her best. Not a track guy, so don't necessarily need anything crazy. Places I've seen say the oem clutch can't really be beat, so is it a no brainer?

And I'd be using a lift if I did it myself so would that negate the pain?

Appreciate the replies
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 AM
R_W

Originally Posted by SpacemanBrent
For some reason, when my clutch goes out, I want to get an SOS Sport Clutch and either an AP1 flywheel or the light weight flywheel from SOS. I don't know why I want it, and I haven't done any research, but I do.
Brent, I'll let you know. SoS is installing the Sport Clutch and Lightened Flywheel for me on Dec 13th.

Double, not sure if you can access this thread since you normally have to be a member of S2KCA to access these how-to's, but here it is in detail: http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.p...=clutch+change
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleOnes
No real big plans for the car, just want her to run her best. Not a track guy, so don't necessarily need anything crazy. Places I've seen say the oem clutch can't really be beat, so is it a no brainer?

Appreciate the replies

Yes it would, but it will still be a pain in the ass. The starter bolts, the subframe bolts, and the actual transmission removal are the hardest parts. The alternator gets in the way of removing the starter bolts and you can barely see them. The Subframe has to be lowered 6-7 inches to get the transmission out ( the bolts are 8-10 inches long). On top of all that the transmission has to be rotated a little to clear the body. Not fun at all to say the least. Let me know if you have any questions I may be able to help.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleOnes

Appreciate the replies

My clutch recently went out and I replaced it with a Stage 1 Exeddy Racing clutch and an F1 flywheel and paid a shop to pull the tranny and replace and resurface everything and the total was $800 took about 3 days. The Stage 1 is a little step up from the stock clutch more tuned for performance i guess than racing, and with the F1 flywheel the car drives much nicer. just my 2 cents gl with what ever you do but the one thing everyone kept telling me was PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT! lol
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM

If you have another car, and all the tools, and some patience, I would go for it. It was a great learning experience. I have an electric impact that I used, but it wasn't as useful as I hoped because it won't fit into a lot of places. Nothing was rip-your-hair-out frustrating, but luckily I didn't have any bolts get stuck, rusted or break on me.