Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

closed for fail on everyones part

Old 05-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default closed for fail on everyones part

I am new to the S2K and have heard that it may be possible to tune the VTEC to a lower engagement without buying and expensive tuner. Is this possible and are there any shops here in Houston that do it?

Otherwise, how else do I get this done? All I want is for the Vtec to come a bit sooner and keep reliability...I have an 05' and having trouble sorting out what is best for my needs. Thanks for the advice....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM

There is no way to safely lower VTEC engagement without a tuner of some sort. (VAFC, VAFC-II, SAFC, AEM FIC, AEM EMS, ETC.....) If you ever plan to modify you car beyond little bolt-ons get an AEM EMS. It is expensive, but it does everything. DO NOT try to tune your car yourself unless you really know what you are doing. you will most likely lean it out an screw something up. If lower VTEC engagement is all you want don't bother. VAFC (the cheapest tuner) is gonna set you back about $150-200 The tune is gonna cost you $500 to get an extra 10 WHP maybe. I know you probably don't believe me, but I have been there, done that, wasted a lot of money....haha.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure what it involved and now I guess I won't bother. I just need to get used to the higher rpm engagement!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM

YES THERE IS!!! There's nothing really "safe" about doing anything that's not factory recommended. You can spend les than 20 bucks and manually control your vtec, or spend a little more and have it come on automatically. Step one, locate the vtec solenoid, step two, get some really long wires, step three hook up those wires to a button/switch of some sort. Step four, hook up the wired switch to the vtec solenoid. Step five, go drive the car and pretend you have nitrous and hit that button and whip your neck back PAUL WALKER STYLE!. I've seen this done in multiple hondas using vtec, so i'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything as long as you don't use it too often, but then again, it's about the same as have different cams. There is a minute change the vtec rockers could break if you overuse. Like I said, it's just the same as have diferent cams, except not as strong. But in my opinion, it's not worth the trouble. Just because your vtec engages and little bit earlier, a 350z bone stock can still burn you out.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The-_-Asian
YES THERE IS!!! There's nothing really "safe" about doing anything that's not factory recommended. You can spend les than 20 bucks and manually control your vtec, or spend a little more and have it come on automatically. Step one, locate the vtec solenoid, step two, get some really long wires, step three hook up those wires to a button/switch of some sort. Step four, hook up the wired switch to the vtec solenoid. Step five, go drive the car and pretend you have nitrous and hit that button and whip your neck back PAUL WALKER STYLE!. I've seen this done in multiple hondas using vtec, so i'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything as long as you don't use it too often, but then again, it's about the same as have different cams. There is a minute change the vtec rockers could break if you overuse. Like I said, it's just the same as have diferent cams, except not as strong. But in my opinion, it's not worth the trouble. Just because your vtec engages and little bit earlier, a 350z bone stock can still burn you out.
the 350z with the HR motor yes. but, the first gen 350z aren't much trouble at all...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by The-_-Asian

That is a terrible idea!!! What if you forget to turn it off/ accidentally push it/ engage it too early. You could cause some serious damage. VTEC advances the camshafts 15 degrees at high RPM. It is very dangerous to engage VTEC at low RPMs. The S2000 is already has a fine tuned engine it is very difficult to make it better. Also what makes you think you know when to properly engage it? I think Honda's Engineers knew what they were doing. Yes, the VTEC can be safely lowered, but only a little.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 9krevvin
Originally Posted by The-_-Asian' timestamp='1306968161' post='20639821

That is a terrible idea!!! What if you forget to turn it off/ accidentally push it/ engage it too early. You could cause some serious damage. VTEC advances the camshafts 15 degrees at high RPM. It is very dangerous to engage VTEC at low RPMs. The S2000 is already has a fine tuned engine it is very difficult to make it better. Also what makes you think you know when to properly engage it? I think Honda's Engineers knew what they were doing. Yes, the VTEC can be safely lowered, but only a little.
either way the only way to really safely lower vtec would be flash pro... but, even then if you want power go FI or... another car is an option as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM

And it is not just about tuning either... The physical process of initiating a new set of lobes requires oil pressure, and a sudden drop of oil pressure at too low of an RPM can be catastrophic in its own ways as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 AM

What about SOS supercharger kit. They lower the VTEC engagetment to 4400 don't they? Is 1600 RPM lower considered safe? OR how low is TOO LOW for safe VTEC engagement. Just curious.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM

A terrible idea it is, but it's completely doable. "What if you forget to turn it off?" It's a button!. Same as most buttons/switches, you just let go. Your just doing the same as the ecu is doing, just providing a ground for the circuit for the solenoid. And in my opinion, VTEC isn't necessary mainly for power depending on your perspective. There's plenty of four cylinder Honda engines that don't have vtec and kill in horsepower. VTEC is power with fuel economy. Like I said, it may not be safe but completely doable. I've always loved vtec ever since my DC2, but there's just so many other ways to gain power. Not trying to thrash anyone, but there is no safe way to modify an engine from what it's original state, be it a BMW or Honda. Even if it's just small changes. But my response was just to get the information out there.

P.S. I love all of Honda and it's 20+ years of VTEC, but valvetronics blows it out of the water.

Quick Reply: closed for fail on everyones part