Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

New/Used Hardtop, Soft-top

Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New/Used Hardtop, Soft-top

Hello, I'm looking to buy either a new or used (good condition) hardtop or soft top or both...

skip to bottom to get to my question:
The morning of this past Coffee & Cars meet, my rear plastic window cracked as I was putting the top down. It might've been due to the fact that it was a bit chilly that morning and I had just washed the car the day before and used PlastiX to clean the plastic window. The bottle said it was safe for use on convertible plastic windows, but I think it hardened it a bit more; as now I have trouble with the window folding correctly when I put the top down. =/

I temporarily patched the cracked window (luckily, it was in the bottom and in the center of the window) and covered it up w/ cheesy stickers that make it look like a 16 year olds car.

Now on to my question...

I've only had this car for a month and have absolutely no knowledge about S2000's. I'm asking for any advice/knowledge/recommendations you guys might have about types of Hardtops & Soft Tops.

-Which kind of Hardtop do you recommend?
-OEM vs. Aftermarket vs. Knock-offs/Ebay
-Installation
-Pricing
-Quality

-Soft Top information
-AP1 vs. AP2 (plastic vs. glass window) is it an easy switch from ap1 S2000 to an ap2 S2000 soft top w/ glass window?
-Any fabrication, mods needed to make switch to glass?
-OEM vs. Aftermarket vs. Knock-off/Ebay
-Installation
-Pricing
-Quality

I recently went to a Honda Dealership and the guy quoted the Hardtop for $6,000. Really??? Said, I needed to get all these brackets, bolts, etc... Can't I buy the hardtop as one whole piece? Why would they sell it to me in pieces? Ridonkulus... same for the Soft Top which was quoted to be $1,800. Both quotes did NOT include installation.

=(

THANKS IN ADVANCE, for any info you can give me!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:25 AM

you can buy the hardtop from spyder

link is here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/826...-1275-shipped/

even though its a knockoff, people are loving the fitment.

I also posted a link for the ez-on soft tops I can post also if you want another softtop. you can also have the glass version if you want it.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by damnitzroger

I also posted a link for the ez-on soft tops I can post also if you want another softtop. you can also have the glass version if you want it.
Is he shipping to houston with the hardtop painted, including the back window yet? those hardtops look nice.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking on the used market you can find hardtops for 2200 to 2600 with everyting included. But damn that spyder top looks convincing to say the least.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ItsMeCam
Originally Posted by damnitzroger' timestamp='1318508733' post='21066098

Is he shipping to houston with the hardtop painted, including the back window yet? those hardtops look nice.
its best to talk to him, he's able to paint for extra but he wont guarantee the color is going to match exactly, he's always included the back window as far as i know. and he has mounting hardware but its nothing like oem's. I'm actually thinking about his pre-pegged double cf hard top. hard core lightness haha!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM

thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction...
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Im thinking about the vac infusion, no paint, should be about 1400 shipped. Good fitment, good seals and a good price, oh and good costumer service from what ive read, cant get better than that. I just have to *cough cough* find a buyer for my glass window soft top.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Like posted above, Spyder hardtop have the best reviews.. with all the top slashing going around, you would rather just get a hardtop. I'm planning to get one in the future...

But if you rather spend less money, Tops Online I think they provide the lowest price for softtop.. they also have an ebay store. Here is also the DIY for replacing the top.. takes 8-9 about hours Replacing Soft Top
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MghtyPtrck
I recently went to a Honda Dealership and the guy quoted the Hardtop for $6,000. Really??? Said, I needed to get all these brackets, bolts, etc... Can't I buy the hardtop as one whole piece? Why would they sell it to me in pieces? Ridonkulus...
The hardware kit for the hardtop depends on the model year of your S. They're sold separately. Try browsing some of the existing hardtop threads.

Originally Posted by MghtyPtrck
same for the Soft Top which was quoted to be $1,800. Both quotes did NOT include installation.
Keep in mind that the dealer isn't the only source for both hard and soft tops.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kiddiosky
with all the top slashing going around, you would rather just get a hardtop. I'm planning to get one in the future...
Just a reminder,windows can be broken and they will still take your seats.Like I said in the other thread,hardtops are held on at 4 points and take like 10 seconds to undo.Park your car in a garage at night no matter what top you use.

Quick Reply: New/Used Hardtop, Soft-top