Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

545 + rwhp - 240SX?

Old 08-02-2002, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CMiS2K
10.8 1/4 mile.

the owner of the car tells me, track or drag strip either or, boost is controllable.

240sx is a 50/50 weight distribution type car, right?
You might indeed be able to control the peak amount of boost, but if there one downside to turbos, it's this: the size of turbo he'd need to make those kind of times probably makes some great peak numbers, but it won't spool worth a crap in autox situations. He'd be lucky to see more than half of available boost for more than a second anywhere on an autox course, and it be darn near undriveable in the corners unless you choose to master the art of left-foot braking.

Now a road course might be a slightly different story, but I'd still be willing to bet that a turbo setup that's been optimized for drag racing would be very unpleasant - and rather difficult - to drive smoothly or quickly around a race course. You'd either be waiting for the turbo to spool, or trying like mad to modulate 500+ whp through just the rear wheels once it did.

Big power awd cars are a little different - you can often drive them as more of a "point & shoot" affair, and let the computer figure out how to get the power down. High hp, big lag, rwd cars w/o any sort of traction control are probably the most difficult cars to drive on the track, because you spend most of your time trying to effectively translate that power to forward motion instead of wheel smoke or spinning off track.

Meanwhile, you'll have annoying little NA Miatas passing you through the twisties.

I'm not saying that there is anything inherently wrong with the car in question... I'm just trying to convey that big peak numbers and cars that are engineered for drag racing usually make lousy track cars.