Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Do you have a front license plate? Maybe you should, now!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was talking to a police officer that frequently comes into my work, this is pretty much how it's happening.

For now, many police officers don't know about the law as it hasn't updated in their systems. On top of that, they're giving people time to get the front license plate thing sorted out, even with the police officer telling me that if all else fails to "go to the dealer and have them drill holes in your front bumper." As you can imagine, I nope'd on that one.

She didn't tell me how long of a wait they're giving, only that when they feel they've given enough time it is going to start getting serious with people getting pulled over and given tickets.

Take what you will with this information, but I'm probably just going to buy the tow hook license plate thing and call it a day. :/
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revenue > Public welfare

Easiest way to see this is to observe what cities are most likely going to pull you over and cite people for this violation. It's typicaly Plano/Frisco/Allen.

Luckily I'm never out there, and Dallas PD is significantly apathetic to small violations.

Everyone is in panic mode now, but in six months no one will care. Cops will hate the extra paperwork and it will be just as it is now.

Additionally this is just an extra reason to "OK" profiling. Certain cars and certain drivers will get stopped, other cars won't.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Two months ago going down I30 east of Greenville minding my own business with the cruise set on the speed limit I passed a THP on the side of road. He pulled me over because of no front license plate on the S and wrote me a warning ticket. I can pretty much guarantee you if a THP tool sees you without a front plate, you will get a ticket!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

hey snodd u gonna come over Tuesday morning? I ordered the plate holder that screws into the tow hook so at least I can take it off easy troopers are going to be the worst for sure
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by drsnodd
Two months ago going down I30 east of Greenville minding my own business with the cruise set on the speed limit I passed a THP on the side of road. He pulled me over because of no front license plate on the S and wrote me a warning ticket. I can pretty much guarantee you if a THP tool sees you without a front plate, you will get a ticket!
I can pretty much guarantee you're wrong. As many cars as we have out there w/ no front plates, ticketing them all would take up all their free time w/o making any impact on highway safety, which I believe is one of their primary objectives.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by drsnodd' timestamp='1378574645' post='22766388
I can pretty much guarantee you're wrong. As many cars as we have out there w/ no front plates, ticketing them all would take up all their free time w/o making any impact on highway safety, which I believe is one of their primary objectives.

wow you like to stir the pot hum
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid over $600 in "no front plate" fines to Plano, Frisco, and McKinney in 2010, so I installed a front plate on my S2000. However, once some dude backed into me in a parking lot, and screwed up my plate, I took it back off. I guess I need to start thinking about getting another set of plates...

BTW, the "Fix it" option is up to the officer who writes the ticket. If he wants to be a dick, he just won't check that option.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by s2k manic
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1378614931' post='22766977
[quote name='drsnodd' timestamp='1378574645' post='22766388']

wow you like to stir the pot hum
[/quote]

No, not at all. drsnodd was posting that we're all screwed w/ no front plates, and I'm pretty sure that while some will get busted, many of us won't. Seems like it's the other way around, people stirring the pot about a law I've peacefully broken for decades w/ no material consequences.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Well, I don't know if you guys are ever near Trophy Club/Westlake, but if you need to go somewhere past there, then I'd suggest finding a different route. There's a cop there that I KNOW will ticket for this...he's the cop that'll sit at intersections at the beginning of every month and ticket people for overdue inspection. he's such an idiot that he once tried to ticket me TWICE, TWO DAYS IN A ROW! Once I told him that he already ticketed me yesterday he said, "well, technically I could write it again..." I just rolled my eyes and moved on. he issues that ticket so much that the westlake office where you pay the ticket has the inspection law printed and taped to the window.

so, just a heads up for all of you...this is definitely a nitpicky cop who has nothing better to do than write tickets for stuff like that.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Is he in the Tahoe? I've seen him late at night many times if so. He sits in extremely unsafe locations on 114.

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate? Maybe you should, now!