Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Finished 1st diff oil change!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished 1st diff oil change!

A couple of comments:

1) I now know the definition of THICK oil. This LE 607 is almost sticky it is so thick (if you have it on your fingers, touch them together, and then pull them apart, it will actually string between 'em like honey.)

2) Honda forgot to check with every other manufacturer in the world on what a diff drain plug is supposed to be. They used these HUGE bolt heads (rather than a 1/2" square ratchet hole). 23mm on the fill plug. 24mm on the drain plug. The fill REQUIRES a wrench and the drain REQUIRES a socket (based on clearance to the crossmember and the cooling fins on the diff.)

Overall it was a good experience. It was hard to get to and hard to get the oil in (I hate to use my siphon pump because you can never get it totally clean from whatever you pumped through it last..). I ended up connecting a 3' long tube to a transmission fluid funnel. This let me route the hose into the fill hole so I could stand next to the vehicle and pour fluid into the funnel (and wait 20 minutes for it to find its way into the diff).

I realized as I was filling it that, since I had the rear of the car jacked up, I would end up putting too much in (jacking the car up in the rear tilts the diff forward). So I just continued to put the whole quart in, and then let it off the jack and let it sit for 20min or so as the excess drained back out the fill hole.

According to a thread I found here somewhere, this LE 607 is supposed to be the best stuff you can use - so hopefully I did the right thing.

Oh - there was a bit of a fuzzball on the drain plug - but not bad at all.... and no big pieces (unlike the glitter that was in my MTF when I drained it... but Honda said it was okay ... guess that's what extended warrantys are for)
Old 05-06-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That LE-607 looked like cough syrup, I had to pump mine in since I have a car lift and man it was a workout using that pump. This stuff is super thick.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:52 AM

My plan was to do it hot - but since I had to go to Auto Zone to buy a 23mm wrench it was only kinda luke-warm by the time I got to actually drain it.

I poured a little of the new stuff in before replacing the drain plug. That might have pushed out a little more of the old stuff. At any rate, I'm not a purist about having to get ALL the old stuff out... I assume they're compatible anyway.

The only thing I think I'd do differently next time is that I'd heat up the new oil before trying to pour it. Someone suggested putting it in a bucket of hot water for 20-30 minutes (hey - I'll just drop the quart in my hot tub ).

Oh - about the honey thing... it's one of those situations where it looked SO much like the grape syrup at IHOP that I was really tempted to taste it - but I was able to control myself (bet that would have been HORRIBLE)
Old 05-06-2005, 10:14 AM

I'm waiting to do this too...but I decided to order some large wrenches/sockets from Harbor Freight and it's been 3 weeks without them showing up. Should've just drove to the store and picked them up. Or what I should've done is borrow yours or someone else's while at the Two Rows gtg.

I bought this threaded bottle top with a tube attached (at a boat store) so I'm hoping that I can squeeze the goo through there. That's a good idea you mentioned to heat it up before.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by looney,May 6 2005, 10:14 AM
I'm waiting to do this too...but I decided to order some large wrenches/sockets from Harbor Freight and it's been 3 weeks without them showing up. Should've just drove to the store and picked them up. Or what I should've done is borrow yours or someone else's while at the Two Rows gtg.

I bought this threaded bottle top with a tube attached (at a boat store) so I'm hoping that I can squeeze the goo through there. That's a good idea you mentioned to heat it up before.
Is the tube a few feet long? You need to get the oil bottle above the fill hole for it to drain into the diff if you're not using a pump (squeezing the bottle is only going to get the first half (or less) of the stuff out of it) - and the only way I found to do that was to run a long tube so I could get completely out from underneath the car.

You're welcome to use my tools/garage if you like - but HF isn't far... I go to the store by the Richardson Square Mall all the time (Belt Line and Plano Rd I think)
Old 05-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about how thick the stuff is makes me wonder if it doesn't soak up a few HP.

So what makes this better than the othere stuff?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by David b,May 6 2005, 11:19 AM
All this talk about how thick the stuff is makes me wonder if it doesn't soak up a few HP.

So what makes this better than the othere stuff?
The LE 607 Thread

Many many many many links