Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

New Ride

Old 12-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ride

Welp, I hope i didn't make a mistake by choosing too quickly, but i picked up the 4runner's replacement. After having her checked out by my mechanic at Tokyo Town, I went ahead and bought it.

It's a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 with the TRD Offroad package.

What it needs is a little TLC. I have started babying her already with a new front running lamp, new wiper blade, oil/filter, tranny fluid and rear end ger oil. What it left is something I'll need help on whihk includes front shocks, a tie rod and an alignment job.

Still, I think I got a great deal. I got a 3 year newer vehicle with 74k (less than
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Nice truck dude! You can have a ton of fun adding stuff to that truck. The color looks good too.
I love my Tundra...will be paid off in a couple of months and I think I'm going to just keep it and enjoy it more. The new ones are nice though and the pricing Toyota has now is tempting.

Get the spray in bed liner if it does not already have it...one of the best add-ons I have, as well as running lights.

I may have read the post too fast...is it 4x4?

Great truck and deal hope it serves you well for years to come.

JD
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Great truck! Glad you found something you liked. I love those trucks - easily one of the most capable stock off-road pick-ups you can buy.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Thanks guys!

TxJustice - i did not get the 4x4 because I intend to tow the boat with it. While I will only have to tow it ONE MILE to the lake, I still have no faith in Japanese 4x4 trannys for towing, due to the fact that my 90 4x4 pathfinder blew it's tranny at 58k. So I intentionally sought out a 4x2. It has a bedliner, but not the spray on type. i'll use that one until I have to replace it, cause I think it's like 3-400 bucks to put a new spray in liner.

I also emptied my 4runner out Friday night... When i saw the damage again, I was really amazed I was not hurt... It was worse than I had thought, and the main impact was directly on my driver's side door. Cool thing is, I got all of my floormats out, my trailer hitch, and other stuff that is now in use in the Tacoma.

Just my opinion, so no offense to anyone here that might have a newer body style, but i think Toyota did the Tacoma Prerunner a great injustice with the new body style and 04 was the last of a great line.

Insurance went up only $70/year... And I still have to pay the tax title and license fees... But still, barring it's flaws, I got a great truck for the money - all of them are easily remedied.

Tonight I'll probably get to at least one of the 3 fluids changes I need to do.

Tx_Phantom

PS - This will be more practical for daily driving and deer/pig hunting

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool. I look forward to throwing a couple pigs in it in March
Old 12-25-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tx_Phantom,Dec 24 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys!

TxJustice - i did not get the 4x4 because I intend to tow the boat with it. While I will only have to tow it ONE MILE to the lake, I still have no faith in Japanese 4x4 trannys for towing, due to the fact that my 90 4x4 pathfinder blew it's tranny at 58k. So I intentionally sought out a 4x2. It has a bedliner, but not the spray on type. i'll use that one until I have to replace it, cause I think it's like 3-400 bucks to put a new spray in liner.

Just my opinion, so no offense to anyone here that might have a newer body style, but i think Toyota did the Tacoma Prerunner a great injustice with the new body style and 04 was the last of a great line.
Meh... I had a '96 4x4 Tacoma and used to tow a friend's ski boat regularly with no issues. When I wasn't towing the boat, I was towing a pair of jet skis on a tandem trailer. My father's '97 4Runner (with the same running gear) has seen almost 200k miles with zero issues whatsoever.

I do agree with you though - that generation of Tacoma is a great truck. Of all the vehicles I've owned, my '96 was one of only two I regret selling.

Enjoy it!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by altiain,Dec 25 2007, 12:50 PM
Meh... I had a '96 4x4 Tacoma and used to tow a friend's ski boat regularly with no issues. When I wasn't towing the boat, I was towing a pair of jet skis on a tandem trailer. My father's '97 4Runner (with the same running gear) has seen almost 200k miles with zero issues whatsoever.

I do agree with you though - that generation of Tacoma is a great truck. Of all the vehicles I've owned, my '96 was one of only two I regret selling.

Enjoy it!
Thanks, man!

I have not personally had any experience with Toyota 4x4s, but as i said above, I did with the 1990 pathfinder, and I knew how much more it was going to cost to repair.

I did obviously have a 4x2 4runner for almost 7 years and 161K miles, and I had to replace the tranny at 152K when the OD gear went south. And I had not towed long distances with it in about 5 years since i started skiing at a private lake where the boat lives 1 mile from the water.

The 4runner is still going to be missed, but i am having a blast with this new truck... I just put my USA Waterski decal on my rear bumper and my 'got waterskiing?' decal on the back window.

but that was after my GF vetoed putting little Bubba/Sissy license plates in the back window where we sit. (I hope some of you "get" that reference!!)

-------
Tx_Phantom
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 PM

I've had two Prerunners V6's... Loved them both and wish I could have kept them along with the S but... Did yours come with the push button locking diff? Mine did and I was glad I had it a couple of times out playing where I had no right to be. The button saved me once; the other time I needed more help but we wont go there.

Congrats on the truck.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

I got a great deal on some Smittybuilt chrome nerf bars ($170 new in the box), so I picked them up in Ft. Worth and installed them yesterday after i waterskied. (Crazy in that cold, but it's an 8 year tradidion to ski on new years day!)...

Only issue I had was that we had to drill holes, when the instructions for a non 4x4 says it's not needed. Maybe the TRD prerunners have a 4x4 frame.

Here's a pic of the truck taken this morning...

-----------------
Tx_Phantom
Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Looks even better. That truck looks great with a brush guard, side steps, and the light bar in the bed as well.

Quick Reply: New Ride